•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

1965 Criterion RV-6 Dynascope

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#26 rcwolpert

rcwolpert

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: South Hutchinson Island, Florida

Posted 26 March 2020 - 08:36 PM

Wow! This brings back memories. I ordered mine the Fall of 1964 and it arrived Dec. 30th, 1964, so yours and mine were being produced at the same time. I remember that letter! I had received one just like it. It’s so good to see that image of it.

Bob

• Terra Nova and jcruse64 like this

#27 rcwolpert

rcwolpert

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 26 March 2020 - 08:52 PM

Also, mine was the nice, shiney Bakelite, so they must have been making the white and grey at the same time. However, I don’t recall that there was ever an option or choice.

#28 G-Tower

G-Tower

Messenger

• -----

Posted 26 March 2020 - 10:39 PM

https://wiki.telesco..._Literature.pdf

• rcwolpert and jcruse64 like this

#29 rcwolpert

rcwolpert

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 27 March 2020 - 11:06 AM

Loved seeing these brochures!! It's been a long time.

#30 Bonco2

Bonco2

Ranger 4

Posted 27 March 2020 - 03:55 PM

I'm puzzled about the gray RV6. I know before the RV6 they offered the gray tube but on a better mount. Was more expensive than the RV6. But the one in this thread is on the cheaper RV6 mount. Never saw an option advertised for the RV6 gray tube. I wonder what it cost. I paid $198 in 1960 or 61 for my RV6 and that price lasted for many years. Sure love the gray tube...What a great find.
Bill

#31 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: America’s Heartland

Posted 27 March 2020 - 04:00 PM

I'm puzzled about the gray RV6. I know before the RV6 they offered the gray tube but on a better mount. Was more expensive than the RV6. But the one in this thread is on the cheaper RV6 mount. Never saw an option advertised for the RV6 gray tube. I wonder what it cost. I paid $198 in 1960 or 61 for my RV6 and that price lasted for many years. Sure love the gray tube...What a great find.
Bill

It must have been transitional between the Dynascope deluxe and the RV-6 as most of us know it. I loved those beautiful old Dynascopes. I have a friend in Cincy with the 10” F8. It sits on the big bell and is looong! I loved the chrome fenders with the scroll writing too!

• L. Regira, rcwolpert, Bonco2 and 1 other like this

#32 Kasmos

Kasmos

Vanguard

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 27 March 2020 - 04:11 PM

Very Cool Find!... like the others, I love the gray wrinkle!

#33 G-Tower

G-Tower

Messenger

• -----

Posted 27 March 2020 - 07:35 PM

Bill

There is no such thing as a grey RV6. There was the 6" f/8.5 Dynascope Standard and the Deluxe version. At least by their catalog which is the reason I posted the link...

#34 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 27 March 2020 - 07:42 PM

I heard or read somewhere the wrinkle gray was not popular because of the 'semi-rotating' rings.

The wrinkle would not slip well with the felt lined rings.

Robert

#35 G-Tower

G-Tower

Messenger

• -----

Posted 28 March 2020 - 07:31 AM

I heard or read somewhere the wrinkle gray was not popular because of the 'semi-rotating' rings.

Robert

Never seen one on semi rotating rings from factory

#36 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 28 March 2020 - 10:15 AM

Here's another one:

http://www.company7....terion_rv6.html

Robert

#37 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 28 March 2020 - 11:03 AM

Robert

Never seen one on semi rotating rings from factory

I think he is referring to the ability to loosen the rings, rotate the OTA, then re tighten. 

• Augustus likes this

#38 L. Regira

L. Regira

Ranger 4

• Loc: Theriot, LA 29' 42"N; 90.78W

Posted 28 March 2020 - 11:08 AM

Yeah, Criterion's definition of rotating rings on the RV-6 was to loosen the saddle rings and turn the tube!

• GeneDiG, Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#39 Guy Earle

Guy Earle

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 March 2020 - 11:18 PM

Yeah, Criterion's definition of rotating rings on the RV-6 was to loosen the saddle rings and turn the tube!

Correct. The rotating rings, especially noted on the Company Seven website, say that they aren't rotating as we thing they would be. I have a '59 Cave and that has true rotating rings, whereas the RV-6 is nothing more than loosing the rings and sliding it like a Meade Starfinder of the 90's. 

That said, I have the paperwork from Criterion, who made the scope in November '64 and shipped early '65 to the original owner. I will go back and see if they specify Deluxe, but I don't think so. This is the mount that was with the OTA, of that I am confident.

Guy

• L. Regira likes this

#40 photiost

photiost

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Montreal, Canada

Posted 28 March 2020 - 11:24 PM

Beautiful instrument !!

Congrats.

#41 rcwolpert

rcwolpert

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 30 March 2020 - 09:51 AM

It must have been transitional between the Dynascope deluxe and the RV-6 as most of us know it. I loved those beautiful old Dynascopes. I have a friend in Cincy with the 10” F8. It sits on the big bell and is looong! I loved the chrome fenders with the scroll writing too!

I agree with Terra. I think it’s one of a very few transitional RV-6’s, making this scope quite rare.

#42 Jeff B1

Jeff B1

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: South Central Florida

Posted 30 March 2020 - 02:52 PM

Man, such a deal the RV-6 was and is.  I almost bought one from a friend way back, but didn't and regretted it ever since.

#43 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 30 March 2020 - 09:28 PM

I agree with Terra. I think it’s one of a very few transitional RV-6’s, making this scope quite rare.

I wouldn't call it rare, that could mislead someone into associating a crazy disproportionate value.  I had this same combination as others have stated also including Company 7.  Criterion obviously had both types of tubes in the shop at the same time and would want to use up everything as the Dynascope mount version faded out. Don't get me wrong, I LIKE the gray/green wrinkle tubes and prefer them when in the right mount. I have both the 4" and 10" official Dynascope models. The wrinkle tube just didn't rotate well in the RV-6 rings, so a MINUS for that. There are more changes and variations right from the factory than you could shake a stick at. The mount changed (strict RV-6 version), the feet, even the name did and did not include "Dynascope" with it. This is just another version that includes the cool tube from an earlier production and not some 'rare' intrinsic value. 

Edited by apfever, 30 March 2020 - 09:30 PM.

• rcwolpert, Bonco2 and Bomber Bob like this

#44 Guy Earle

Guy Earle

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 March 2020 - 08:11 PM

Question on metal restoration: what metal are the counterweight shaft and pier made of? I'm used to woodworking, so metalwork is out of my comfort zone other than using 1000 grit wet sanding and painting. I've used Neverdull as well, but beyond that, I'm on a learning curve. I know the legs are cast iron as is the counterweight (right?), but I'm looking for techniques and tips to polish these two big parts.

FYI, the extra weights on there was to see how the 8" Meade 856 I picked up works on the RV-6 mount. I know it's oversized, but the mount that came with it is in terrible shape, but I was able to salvage the rings and it mounted beautifully on the pier. Theoretically they are all 1-rpm motors and when balanced don't exert more stress on the motor, no? 

Thanks for any advice in advance. 

Guy

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200331_205936.jpg
  • 20200328_194614.jpg

• Bomber Bob likes this

#45 Starsareus

Starsareus

Vostok 1

Posted 31 March 2020 - 08:44 PM

I started going to the factory late 50s and only saw white tubed RV-6s. My guess is if they were short on white tube, they used the gray ones from the Deluxe series.  The Krewalk brothers let me walk the floors so I got a good chance to look around.  This was indeed a family operation & as said, some changes popped up. I became a fan of these & now have 2 of the 8" and 2 of the 6" Deluxe series, with gray tubes. For some reason have the 8" white tube too.  An addiction.

• rcwolpert, Bonco2 and Bomber Bob like this

#46 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 31 March 2020 - 08:52 PM

Ha ha,  had to get a chuckle out of that 8" set on that poor aching mount!  I'm at a loss to explain this one.  I doubt it will break anything too easily but I didn't really carry the concept fully through. Some one give explaining a shot. Yeah it will work but probably not too friendly for shakes and top heavy for those legs.  Perfect balance will help but being off enough to overload the drive is much easier with an oversized OTA. Those aluminum legs are going to need to be feeling their oats. 

The legs are aluminum.

The pier (pipe) is steel.

The counterweight shaft is chrome plated steel.

Try EvapoRust to dissolve the rust and leave the chrome alone Jone. 

Rust can come through micro star burst and spread out on top, looking much worse than it is. Dissolve the rust, buff, and wipe on a rust inhibitor. You might be surprised or else you'll have to go after the chrome. The black finish on the legs is original. It was later discontinued and the legs left bare aluminum. It may not be so acceptable to substitute the old black legs with the moon pad feet. 

Hey, what do you all think of substituting original black finish feet with moon pad versions painted the original style black?  hmmmmmmm.

CAUTION: That original black wrinkle finish is nothing short of NOTORIOUS for having been improperly applied to the aluminum parts, even very poorly so. It can come off from looking at it cross eyed. The rough castings need that wrinkle finish. All those aluminum parts look horrible with a smooth black finish in my opinion and expressed by others as well. You can paint over the original finish as is, as long as the original finish is still tight to the metal. I've found this to help stabilize the original finish to a much better user friendly state. The areas missing paint are minor. Larger bare areas can 'disappear' into the surrounding wrinkle with an over paint. 

Edited by apfever, 31 March 2020 - 09:25 PM.

• L. Regira and Bomber Bob like this

#47 Guy Earle

Guy Earle

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 March 2020 - 09:12 PM

Ha ha,  had to get a chuckle out of that 8" set on that poor aching mount!  I'm at a loss to explain this one.  I doubt it will break anything too easily but I didn't really carry the concept fully through. Some one give explaining a shot. Yeah it will work but probably not too friendly for shakes and top heavy for those legs.  Perfect balance will help but being off enough to overload the drive is much easier with an oversized OTA. 

The legs are aluminum.

The pier (pipe) is steel.

The counterweight shaft is chrome plated steel.

Try EvapoRust to dissolve the rust and leave the chrome alone Jone. 

Well I guessed wrong on the legs. That's easy enough to clean, sand and paint. The pier is regular steel not stainless, right? I'll look for EvapoRust, thanks.

And yeah, the 8" on there is not a long term solution but just so I could test the optics. I was surprised it tracked well. I feel like it's Goldilocks, the 10" Cave mount is too big, the RV-6 is too small, and the 856 is just trashed.

#48 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 31 March 2020 - 09:56 PM

Pier is regular steel. The finish is a hammered sort of metallic gray, NOT a silver. Yours looks fairly intact. Try the Evapo and buff up some like the weight shaft. If you want to go after a repaint I'll get you a picture of a rustoleum hammered paint that is a dead ringer. It's not easy to find by name, it's just called 'HAMMERED'. I'm starting to want a beer. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics