•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Building a Dark Library Question?

astrophotography CMOS
  • Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Soyuz

• topic starter
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 25 March 2020 - 08:37 PM

I received my ASI2600MC Pro today and as expected its cloudy.  I started building a Dark Library.  I completed 120 and 180 seconds using unity gain and started on 60 seconds.  For now I will be using a 90mm triplet f/5.6 scope.

What exposure times are users using to build their Dark Library? 

• elmiko likes this

#2 jmorales21

jmorales21

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Chicago, IL

Posted 25 March 2020 - 08:43 PM

I received my ASI2600MC Pro today and as expected its cloudy.  I started building a Dark Library.  I completed 120 and 180 seconds using unity gain and started on 60 seconds.  For now I will be using a 90mm triplet f/5.6 scope.

What exposure times are users using to build their Dark Library? 

The same exposures and temperatures that you plan to use when exposing your "lights". 

So if you plan on using 10m, 20m and 30m at -20C or -10C, you will have to make different sets that match those conditions.

Cheers,

Jose

• Jim Waters and bobzeq25 like this

#3 dghent

dghent

Ranger 4

• Vendors

Posted 25 March 2020 - 08:45 PM

I start at 30 seconds and go to 300 seconds (5 minutes) in 30 second intervals, then after 300 seconds I go to 10 minutes in 1 minute intervals. 

I take 30 frames at each interval. Yes, it takes a long time, but that's what cloudy weekends are for.

• Jim Waters, Francopoli, ezwheels and 1 other like this

#4 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 25 March 2020 - 10:03 PM

Thanks jmorales21 and dghent.

#5 ezwheels

ezwheels

Viking 1

• Loc: Oakland, CA.

Posted 25 March 2020 - 10:12 PM

Same as dghent. I also just pick a temperature that I can easily get the chip down to in warmer months and I can use the library all year round. This is especially so with this chip and its siblings, as they have near zero dark current at even 0C and -5C. 

#6 Peter in Reno

Peter in Reno

Voyager 1

• Loc: Reno, NV

Posted 25 March 2020 - 10:26 PM

Since this camera does not produce amp glows, you may only need one Master Dark and use dark scaling or optimization. This will greatly save hard disk spacing for not having multiple darks of different temperatures or sub-exposure times. If you are not familiar with dark scaling, please do a Google search. 

https://www.pixinsig.../master-frames/

Peter 

Edited by Peter in Reno, 25 March 2020 - 10:42 PM.

• Jim Waters likes this

#7 ezwheels

ezwheels

Viking 1

• Loc: Oakland, CA.

Posted 25 March 2020 - 10:45 PM

For a OSC CMOS camera the disk space of 10-15 master darks is not so much of a burden. The time to take all the individual subs at each temp, duration, gain and offset adds way up though. As far as dark scaling I have not seen anything about whether this works or not with these new Sony sensors. If it did that would be the way to go to save that time.

Edited by ezwheels, 25 March 2020 - 10:49 PM.

• Jim Waters likes this

#8 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 25 March 2020 - 10:47 PM

Since this camera does not produce amp glows, you may only need one Master Dark and use dark scaling or optimization. This will greatly save hard disk spacing for not having multiple darks of different temperatures or sub-exposure times. If you are not familiar with dark scaling, please do a Google search. 

Peter 

Just an opinion.  I think scaling is an approximation.  If I was building a library, I'd build a library.  <smile>

• dghent likes this

#9 Peter in Reno

Peter in Reno

Voyager 1

Posted 25 March 2020 - 10:53 PM

Just an opinion.  I think scaling is an approximation.  If I was building a library, I'd build a library.  <smile>

Dark scaling works wonderfully with my Sony ICX-694 camera, same sensor as yours.

Peter

#10 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 25 March 2020 - 11:21 PM

Peter 

I will check out Dark Scaling.  Thanks

#11 dghent

dghent

Ranger 4

• Vendors

Posted 25 March 2020 - 11:36 PM

Dark scaling works wonderfully with my Sony ICX-694 camera, same sensor as yours.

The OP's camera is a CMOS, and dark scaling is generally not advisable on CMOS due to amp glow (however little there may be). Amp glow does not scale linearly. Reliable dark scaling is pretty much the domain of CCDs, so I would't blanket-recommend it for everything.

• Jim Waters likes this

#12 Peter in Reno

Peter in Reno

Voyager 1

Posted 25 March 2020 - 11:46 PM

But this particular camera does not produce amp glow and it's a CMOS sensor.

https://astronomy-im...600mc-pro-color

Scroll down to "Zero amp glow".

Since the OP is getting this camera, there's no harm trying dark scaling with this camera and it's really easy.

Peter 

#13 dghent

dghent

Ranger 4

• Vendors

Posted 25 March 2020 - 11:59 PM

But this particular camera does not produce amp glow and it's a CMOS sensor.

Scroll down to "Zero amp glow".

Since the OP is getting this camera, there's no harm trying dark scaling with this camera and it's really easy.

Zero apparent amp glow. Compared to other CMOS sensors, yes, it certainly looks like zero and yeah this looks utterly fantastic for CMOS tech. But I'm kind of circumspect that it is actually, truly zero amp glow like there is zero amp glow with a CCD. In this case, it could still be present, just very well-controlled.

Edited by dghent, 26 March 2020 - 12:00 AM.

#14 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 26 March 2020 - 12:09 AM

On a related topic any opinions on Offset and Gain?  I will be using a 90mm f/5.6 scope and L-eNhance filter in the city and no filters at my dark-sky site.

#15 dghent

dghent

Ranger 4

• Vendors

Posted 26 March 2020 - 12:25 AM

On a related topic any opinions on Offset and Gain?  I will be using a 90mm f/5.6 scope and L-eNhance filter in the city and no filters at my dark-sky site.

Dr. Q of QHY has a write up about gain and offset calculation here:

https://www.qhyccd.c...photography.pdf

The other resource you should use are the graphs that ZWO published for the camera:

Scroll down to the line graphs under "Camera Performance". You will want to key in the bottom 2 of the 4 graphs they have:

graph-of-2600mc-pro-1024x973.png

Unique to this sensor and a few others (IMX455, IMX294) there is a dual-gain mode; high and low. Note that on a typical CMOS sensor, dynamic range (DR) of the sensor drops as gain increases. Read noise decreases. On this sensor, once you turn the gain up past a certain point, the camera switches to a high gain mode where the read noise drops and dynamic range is mostly recovered. This is pretty much a sweet spot of the camera: you get the most DR for the least read noise. For standard DSO astrophotography, you will want to start at this point. So I would guess, start at a gain value of 100, while following Dr. Q's instructions of determining your offset.

• Jim Waters and bobzeq25 like this

#16 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 26 March 2020 - 12:45 AM

Thanks for the detailed information and external link dghent.

Edited by Jim Waters, 26 March 2020 - 01:07 AM.

#17 ippiu

ippiu

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Italy

Posted 27 March 2020 - 03:07 AM

waytogo.gif

Annotazione 2020-03-27 090656.jpg

#18 buckeyestargazer

buckeyestargazer

Vendor - Buckeyestargazer.net

• Vendors
  • Loc: IN, USA

Posted 27 March 2020 - 07:20 AM

Zero apparent amp glow. Compared to other CMOS sensors, yes, it certainly looks like zero and yeah this looks utterly fantastic for CMOS tech. But I'm kind of circumspect that it is actually, truly zero amp glow like there is zero amp glow with a CCD. In this case, it could still be present, just very well-controlled.

You are correct.  There is a very tiny amount of amp glow.  This is a 20min dark at gain 100, auto stretched in Pixinsight.

Attached Thumbnails

• ASI2600 Amp Glow.jpg

Edited by buckeyestargazer, 27 March 2020 - 07:21 AM.

• jdupton likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, CMOS

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics