•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ASI2600MC Pro - Gain and Offset Question

astrophotography CMOS
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Soyuz

• topic starter
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 25 March 2020 - 11:31 PM

I just received my ASI2600MC Pro from Woodland Hills Camera & Telescopes.  What Offset should I use and what's the ideal Gain?  I will be using a 90mm Triplet f/5.6 scope with a L-eNhance filter in the city and no filter at my Bortle Class 5 and 1 sites.

• mewmartigan and elmiko like this

#2 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Soyuz

• topic starter
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 26 March 2020 - 01:34 AM

Got my questions answered in another post.  Thanks

#3 R Botero

R Botero

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 26 March 2020 - 03:23 AM

Please post the answer in case people come across your post. Thanks.

#4 buckeyestargazer

buckeyestargazer

Vendor - Buckeyestargazer.net

• Vendors
  • Loc: IN, USA

Posted 26 March 2020 - 08:50 AM

I just got this camera also, and I'm interested in the answer too.  But I don't see the need to think too much about gain settings.  At gain 0 you have the highest DR, full well and only a little over 3e read noise.  That's great for LRGB.  Then gain 100 is the magic number where you don't lose much DR but the read noise drops dramatically to around 1.3e.  The only negative is that the full well does drop some at gain 100, but this is irrelevant for narrowband.  So I plan to use gain 0 for LRGB and gain 100 for narrowband.  In fact, the ASCOM driver doesn't even go over 100, probably because there isn't anything to "gain" going over 100.  

Offset isn't super critical so I just stuck with 50 which is what ZWO has as the default.  

• R Botero likes this

#5 dghent

dghent

Ranger 4

• Vendors

Posted 26 March 2020 - 09:20 AM

I posted my take here https://www.cloudyni...ion/?p=10067826

#6 Lead_Weight

Lead_Weight

Apollo

• Loc: Houston

Posted 26 March 2020 - 01:44 PM

I've been running offset 50. And Gain 100. At gain 100, read noise drops significantly according to ZWO's chart, and doesn't cost much if any bit depth. This is especially great if you're running short subs. I run short subs due to light pollution. If you're in a dark sky, set your Gain to 0 to maximize bit depth, and full well capacity for longer subs.

• Jim Waters likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, CMOS

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics