•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Which 1.25" EP Camera sends Live Image to a Tablet App

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Am33r

Am33r

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 26 March 2020 - 12:06 AM

Hi, this is only for observing while in outreach:

I am using a Meade LX90 8" ACF and I want to place a 1.25" HD digital camera eyepiece.

connected with a USB chord to a Samsung (android) tablet mounted near it on the scope. Turn on the App, and get the live image on the tablet.

Similar function to the Revolution Camera Mini DVR setup.

I don't know of a suitable camera and its app that will easily do this.

No Wifi needed, and if the Camera is Color, it is better for all planets observations.

Any Advice helps

Thank you in advance

Edited by Am33r, 26 March 2020 - 02:28 AM.

#2 S.Boerner

S.Boerner

Apollo

• Loc: Chesterfield, MO

Posted 26 March 2020 - 02:30 AM

As a heads up....good news/bad news.

I tried something like this using a ASI385mc connected to my Nexus 7 tablet with an OTG cable running ASICap.  The view was wonderful.  A 3 y.o. girl  stunned the crowd by zooming/scrolling around the screen on the moon jumping from feature to feature.  The camera needs USB power.  My tablet (and I think most Androids) can either use the single USB port for OTG or charging so my battery died after an hour.  FWIW I tried a UBS hub and y-cables to no avail.

Maybe an older analog style with both a 12v input and RCA output that needs a frame grabber like EZCap.  I know that there are Apps at the store that would work for that.  

• Am33r likes this

#3 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 26 March 2020 - 07:26 AM

Looks like the above post is correct in that adequate power is difficult for a Tablet to supply.

This reviewer however found a way to make it work using a special cable + port. battery.

For this particular need, the Revolution Imager is most likely the best option.

• Am33r likes this

#4 Am33r

Am33r

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 26 March 2020 - 01:34 PM

Thanks Guys, so we have

ASI has their own app ASICap for their ZWO ASI USB3.0 cameras on android devices supporting OTG.

This will quickly drain tablet.

SVBONY sells a Camera SV105 that works with an Android App called USB Camera. It seems, it comes with the power extension cable.

"The SV105 comes with a 1.8m USB cable which has a short fly-out USB lead to provide extra power to the device which has a power consumption of 150mA at 5volts. This was essential for using the camera with a Samsung 10.1 inch Galaxy Note tablet. The tablet was not able to supply sufficient power to operate the camera. A 5v 2.1A mobile phone portable charging device was used as an auxiliary power supply, connected via the fly-out lead."

#5 S.Boerner

S.Boerner

Apollo

Posted 26 March 2020 - 02:48 PM

Looking at the Amazon page for the SV105  I see the following under questions:  I'm not sure I'd want to risk it.

How long of an exposure does this camera support?
Answer:  Dear customer ,
Thanks for your contact.
This camera support Exposure Time is 15ms-500ms.

and

Is the limitation to only bright objects due to hardware or software?
Answer:  Dear friend,
I hope you are well!
Thanks for your inquiry. Our eyepieces are mainly planetary eyepieces. Due to exposure time limitations, they may not be suitable for shooting deep space objects, because deep space objects require longer exposure time.But our electronic eyepieces with different telescopes to observe the Saturn, Moon, Jupiter and other planet customers experience is not bad.

Best wishes !

Question:  There have been two similar questions with different answers. can this camera be used with an android cell phone or tablet?
Thanks for your contact.
SV105 can be used with an android cell phone,but can't be used with a tablet.

#6 Am33r

Am33r

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 March 2020 - 01:40 AM

Looking at the Amazon page for the SV105  I see the following under questions:  I'm not sure I'd want to risk it.

How long of an exposure does this camera support?
Thanks for your contact.
This camera support Exposure Time is 15ms-500ms.

and

Is the limitation to only bright objects due to hardware or software?
Answer:  Dear friend,
I hope you are well!
Thanks for your inquiry. Our eyepieces are mainly planetary eyepieces. Due to exposure time limitations, they may not be suitable for shooting deep space objects, because deep space objects require longer exposure time.But our electronic eyepieces with different telescopes to observe the Saturn, Moon, Jupiter and other planet customers experience is not bad.

Best wishes !

Question:  There have been two similar questions with different answers. can this camera be used with an android cell phone or tablet?
Thanks for your contact.
SV105 can be used with an android cell phone,but can't be used with a tablet.

Thanks man, I just got an email from them:

"If you want to use it to phone or tablet, you need prepare another OTG cable. this cable could be connected to your tablet directly.

https://www.svbony.c...one-Android-7-0
Blog for SV105 with Mi 5 (Android 7.0, type C port) Phone

https://www.svbony.c...th-Your-Android
Blog for SV105 with Android Tablet."

Not Sure at this point...

#7 Am33r

Am33r

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 March 2020 - 09:25 PM

UPDATE  Ihavenojoints.gif

I found both (the App and the Android Tablet) that worked with all 3 generic USB web cams I have here, and the tablet can be charged while it powers the cam!

Time to find an eyepiece cam that can do both DSO and Planetary.

#8 S.Boerner

S.Boerner

Apollo

Posted 28 March 2020 - 07:48 AM

Does your tablet have two separate ports, one for charging and a second for the USB cable from the camera? Or are you able to do this with a y-cable and charge and view at the same time?

Is there an OTG cable in the mix anywhere?

Can you post a pic?

Tks

• Am33r likes this

#9 Am33r

Am33r

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 28 March 2020 - 02:31 PM

Does your tablet have two separate ports, one for charging and a second for the USB cable from the camera? Or are you able to do this with a y-cable and charge and view at the same time?

Is there an OTG cable in the mix anywhere?

Can you post a pic?

Tks

I had two tablets laying around, one of them; the LG V-521 has two usb ports! one is Standard USB and the other on the other side is a Micro USB

This one  https://www.lg.com/u...521-g-pad-x-8.0

This is the app  https://play.google....camera&hl=en_US

Worked Flawlessly together w all 3 webcams

I haven't found a Y-Cable like this one https://www.svbony.c...th-Your-Android

• S.Boerner likes this

#10 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 28 March 2020 - 04:53 PM

UPDATE  Ihavenojoints.gif

I found both (the App and the Android Tablet) that worked with all 3 generic USB web cams I have here, and the tablet can be charged while it powers the cam!

Time to find an eyepiece cam that can do both DSO and Planetary.

For DSOs, you will need tracking and long integration times.

Most planetary/lunar cameras also have small chip sizes, too, which is a problem for DSOs, which typically require larger fields.

Different horses for different course, as they say.

Your Meade is fine for imaging if the scope is equatorially mounted, but not if alt-az mounted.

No DSO image will present in "real-time".  Longer exposures will be required, so non-rotating tracking is required.

You probably won't want to do eyepiece projection, as this would make the image too dim, but prime-focus imaging works OK.

• Am33r likes this

#11 Am33r

Am33r

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 28 March 2020 - 06:18 PM

For DSOs, you will need tracking and long integration times.

Most planetary/lunar cameras also have small chip sizes, too, which is a problem for DSOs, which typically require larger fields.

Different horses for different course, as they say.

Your Meade is fine for imaging if the scope is equatorially mounted, but not if alt-az mounted.

No DSO image will present in "real-time".  Longer exposures will be required, so non-rotating tracking is required.

You probably won't want to do eyepiece projection, as this would make the image too dim, but prime-focus imaging works OK.

Right, I will be doing all 'live camera stream to the tablet' in prime focus.

I do have an equatorial wedge, and a canon DSLR camera I use them on the 12" ACF and I don't want them on the 8"ACF..

but are you sure no DSO will show up live on the tablet in alt-az with some generic normal eyepiece cam? Only with the wedge, specialized cam, and long exposures?

I haven't decided on which eyepiece cam to get yet. Is there a colored cam that has large enough sensor for dso and will also do planetary?

Edited by Am33r, 28 March 2020 - 06:24 PM.

#12 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 29 March 2020 - 01:13 AM

Right, I will be doing all 'live camera stream to the tablet' in prime focus.

I do have an equatorial wedge, and a canon DSLR camera I use them on the 12" ACF and I don't want them on the 8"ACF..
but are you sure no DSO will show up live on the tablet in alt-az with some generic normal eyepiece cam? Only with the wedge, specialized cam, and long exposures?

I haven't decided on which eyepiece cam to get yet. Is there a colored cam that has large enough sensor for dso and will also do planetary?

It will take about 30 to 60 seconds of exposure to approximate a view with an eyepiece and longer for better images.
So you kill time while waiting for the exposure. That's close to real time.
  • Am33r likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics