•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

APM 100 center mount - getting it on and off

binoculars
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ahjessen

Ahjessen

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 March 2020 - 02:00 AM

I’m on the brink of ordering the APM 100 - 90degree binoculars with the protective case. I’m thinking of getting the center mount as well but would like to know if any of you have experience using that.

A) how easy is it to get on or off - practicalities: how do you do it?

B) can the mount somehow stay on with the binocular in the box or do you need to fully mount / unmount it every time?

Br Anders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 Nightfly

Nightfly

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Dark Skies, Maine

Posted 31 March 2020 - 05:31 AM

It's probably impractical to take in off once mounted.  It protrudes enough to where it would be difficult to pack back into the box or even a custom case.  I leave mine on and mount it back onto the tripod when indoors.   This works for me since I really don't travel with them. 

Taking it on/off too many times may eventually where the threads out of the mounting block. 

It's a good low cost mounting option otherwise.

• Ahjessen likes this

#3 sonny.barile

sonny.barile

Apollo

• Loc: In the class 8/9 glow.....somewhere between the city and the stadiums.

Posted 31 March 2020 - 06:25 AM

There are two options that I can see. 

Option 1 is to concoct your own case where you can leave the center mount attached. 

Option 2 is to not use a center mount and get a Video head or fork mount.

I thought long and hard about mounting for my Oberwerk 100 BT and went with a Manfrotto Head. I was a little apprehensive when I ordered it but turns out I love it. It’s so easy to mount the binos I can do it with my eyes closed. 

Good luck with your decision.

Sonny

• Ahjessen likes this

#4 Ahjessen

Ahjessen

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 April 2020 - 09:44 AM

Thank you for your comments. I ended up ordering the center mount as the price was lowered for some time. Even though I miss some kind of quick release, I must admit that it takes me only about 1 minute to take the scope out of the box, turn it around and mount the scope part of center mount on it with the two bolts. I have given the bolts a tiny bit of grease and as it is not a permanent installation I’m not tightening them a lot. Just enough to keep them in. Then when packing back up, I lift the scope with the top of the mount off, lay it securely on the box to remove the bolts. Scope in box, mount back together on the stand (manfrotto 161mk2) all ready for next night of clear skies. Again 1-2 minutes.

I tried using a manfrotto head I have for my camera (knowing it was too small, but just to try the quick release mounted) - even that one takes up too much space to keep on when putting the scope back in the box. 

All in all, the ideal would be to have space for the scope part of the mount when mounted, in the box. That would make this super easy. When that is not the case, the way this works is really ok. 

Edited by Ahjessen, 09 April 2020 - 09:46 AM.

• sonny.barile likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: binoculars

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics