•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Please recommend OAG under 29mm for ASI174mm-mini

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Master_Shake

Master_Shake

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 26 March 2020 - 02:46 AM

I am looking for an OAG with a large prism to take advantage of the ASI174mm-mini sensor size.  I plan on using this with the Starizona .65 FF/FR once i get it and will need 57mm backspace for train.  The max length it can be is 29mm.  It is difficult to find information on prism size.  I just bought the Teleskop Service TSOAG27 to replace the ZWO OAG.  I incorrectly interpreted the length of OAG for an M48.  I thought it was 27mm but instead it is 33mm, putting me over where i need to be.   

I am looking for a first-hand recommendation on what i can use.  Thank you.

Edited by Master_Shake, 26 March 2020 - 02:47 AM.

#2 Kaydubbed

Kaydubbed

Mariner 2

• Loc: Kansas City, Missouri

Posted 26 March 2020 - 09:01 AM

It's tough. I know. I was really disappointed when I found my imx174 had that porthole effect on my ZWO OAG. You will need at least a 12mmx12mm prism to avoid vignetting and I don't think one exists that isn't the Celestron OAG, which of course is out of your specs. The Orion Thin OAG comes close, but you will still get vignetting. I haven't been able to find the size of that prism but anecdotes on CN show that the vignetting is still there with the OTOAG, but much less than the ZWO. 

#3 Master_Shake

Master_Shake

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 March 2020 - 08:00 PM

bummer. I was afraid to hear this.  Thanks for you input.

#4 Master_Shake

Master_Shake

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 April 2020 - 12:18 AM

For anyone reading this in the future i would like to provide an update.  I found an OAG which fits my needs.  It is a chinese made OAG and goes by different names.  The most common I found is the Hercules S8239 Off-Axis Guider.  It has a huge 12x12mm prism allowing me to take full advantage of the large ASI174mm-mini sensor.  It comes with many different attachments for various setups as well as a helical focuser.   I will say the helical focuser is heavy but it has a 9mm range of travel.  I replaced mine with a ZWO helical focuser i already had on hand.  Mostly to match the color scheme.  The OAG is 26mm thick.  Below are some photos of the OAG:

AG8BiqBl.jpg

2 second 1x1 image from the ASI174mm-mini.  No vignetting.  

7iXqrafl.jpg

huge opening for the sensor:

2Q8VdSBl.jpg

View with a M48 adapter and ASI1600MM-PRO sensor (there is no M42 input)

SJsC8JAl.jpg

it is a tight squeeze with no room for movement (not that it is needed with the ASI174mm-mini) once installed.  You will need shims to change the rotation of the OAG and EFW together.

NhQt7Xcl.jpg

Edited by Master_Shake, 29 April 2020 - 12:19 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics