•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tell us why you resold your refractor(s)

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#26 Jond105

Jond105

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Detroit

Posted 26 March 2020 - 03:36 PM

Happy Birthday!

Thank you. 

#27 oldtimer

oldtimer

Vanguard

• Loc: Lake County Illinois

Posted 26 March 2020 - 03:44 PM

Sold my 102mm f5 Celestron and am now putting the finishing touches on my homebuilt 100mm F4.5 using Suplus Shed lens.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#28 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 26 March 2020 - 04:16 PM

I sold my refractors to purchase new refractors.

Same here.  That’s the best reason of all! :ubetcha:

• erin likes this

#29 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 26 March 2020 - 04:44 PM

So the reason for giving away the many achromats aquired as a bargain hunter would be for something like educational/charity, would you agree?

I've opened a similar thread for reflectors...

Which Dobsons are shown in the image? The two large ones are the 25" and 22" before you sold the 25"?

I think of it from the telescopes standpoint. I think every scope deserves to be appreciated and used,  A scope on my shelf unused needs to go to a home where it will be used.  I also think of it getting a decent scope into the hands of someone who could use a good scope.  And, it helps me clear my shelf. 

I'd rather have the scope that whatever money it might be worth. But if I can get it into the hands of someone who will use it, then I prefer that.

And yes, the two biggest scopes are the 22 inch and 25 inch.  There is also part of a refractor in the foreground of the photo.  

It's a Explore Scientific AR-102.  When they were on sale for $300, I finally had to buy one just to see what everyone was talking about.  Except for the giant dew shield which I never could quite get over, it was a good scope, probably the best mass produced achromat I've ever owned. I didn't sell it either, I included it with the 25 inch Obsession.

Jon

• bbqediguana likes this

#30 starryhtx

starryhtx

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 26 March 2020 - 05:07 PM

I sold my TV76. It was a nice scope, but specifically I didn’t like the field curvature. I am a dob observer primarily and like big telescopes, but I also really like good refractors. I reached the point though where I had too many small aperture refractors for the amount of observing I do with that class of scope, so the TV76 had to take one for the team.

Me too! You just can't beat a 10" dob for less than $500.00 new!

• Allan Wade and gjanke like this

#31 DeanD

DeanD

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: South Australia

Posted 26 March 2020 - 06:11 PM

I had most of my equipment stolen at one stage, and I gradually bought (and made) new stuff to replace my Vixen 114EDSS and my 10" home-made dob.

I got a Megrez 110, but sold it because while it was magic at low-power, wide-field views it couldn't cope within higher power.

I picked up a Vixen 100M f9 achromat which murdered the Megrez for high power views, but I sold it to help fund a Tak TSA102, which solved both the high-power issue, and the CA issue of the achro. I don't think I will ever sell the Tak, unless someone wants to swap it for a TSA120! wink.gif

I also came across a very nice used Celestron 150 f5 achromat which solved my wide-field issues. While I was sorely tempted when a Skywatcher 150 Evostar ED apo came up for sale locally I successfully resisted; so the Celestron is here to stay too. I ran it next to a 150 Evostar apo, and it was virtually impossible to tell the difference for low-power, wide field views. High power on bright stars, the moon or planets is of course a different story, but that is what the Tak is for!

I can't bring myself to sell my SV70ED, even though I picked up a nice used TV76 as my travel scope. I tell myself that it will be a great scope to pass to my grandkids at some stage. smile.gif  - and I am (just!!!) managing to resist a friend's constant attempts to sell me his Tak 76 (which would help fund his Stowaway which is shipping as I write), because then I would have to sell the TV76 or face domestic revolt!

If anyone is wondering, I made a 12" dob to replace my 10", and I have slowly amassed a nice set of replacement eyepieces (mainly with green lettering). Plus, believe it or not, the insurance company was terrific, and even gave me money to replace the materials cost of the home-made dob!

All the best folks, and keep well.

Dean

Edited by DeanD, 26 March 2020 - 06:12 PM.

• Lookitup and gjanke like this

#32 NikhilJoshi

NikhilJoshi

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Seattle WA, USA

Posted 26 March 2020 - 06:30 PM

I was young and foolish.

#33 doctordub

doctordub

Vanguard

• Loc: New Rochelle, New York

Posted 26 March 2020 - 07:09 PM

Did you resell them to get larger aperture/downsize your fleet/finance another telescope/meet some specific other observing or photography needs?

1. Aperture and quality of optics.

2. Downsize (keep CFO happy)

3. Improve usibility

#34 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

• Loc: British Columbia Canada

Posted 26 March 2020 - 08:27 PM

I'm not sure I understand your question correctly.

When you say "reselling a refractor" do you just mean selling it, or selling it, buying it back and selling it again?

Edited by stevew, 26 March 2020 - 08:33 PM.

• Jon Isaacs, MortonH and Steve Allison like this

#35 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

• Loc: British Columbia Canada

Posted 26 March 2020 - 08:37 PM

1. Aperture and quality of optics.

Wait a minute Jonathan... Don't you own a 6 inch Takahashi?

• doctordub likes this

#36 doctordub

doctordub

Vanguard

• Loc: New Rochelle, New York

Posted 27 March 2020 - 02:47 AM

Yes I do own a Takahashi FS-152 NSV, I won't be selling any of my present Apos unless my vision goes!

• stevew likes this

#37 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

• Loc: Canberra, Australia

Posted 27 March 2020 - 03:16 AM

I bought a few refractors to play with, then once I got bored with them I sold them to pay for new ones.....

I would have kept them all but I think my wife might have noticed and then I would be living in under a bridge somewhere...

I have found a couple that I feel might be lifetime keepers.... they’re in my sig.

• doctordub likes this

#38 jag767

jag767

Kinesis Custom Machining and Refinishing

• Vendors
  • Loc: Massapequa, NY

Posted 27 March 2020 - 04:16 AM

1. More aperture (probably the #1 answer)
2. Higher optical quality
3. Change in viewing habits
4. Opportunity for something bettercame up/needed to free up some cash
  • doctordub likes this

#39 Illinois

Illinois

Gemini

• Loc: Dixon, IL. Bortle 2 land in Wis.

Posted 27 March 2020 - 06:50 AM

I sold my ES 127 and got some money to get SW150 ED. I am happy with my SW 150ED! I sold my 10 inch Dobsonian because I already have 16 inch Dobsonian and got money to buy a few good eyepieces.

#40 Lucullus

Lucullus

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 March 2020 - 08:19 AM

I'm not sure I understand your question correctly.

When you say "reselling a refractor" do you just mean selling it, or selling it, buying it back and selling it again?

You got me there! That's a good one.

Just selling it :) .

But asking for the second scenario would be an interesting topic on it's own. Thanks for the laugh!

• doctordub and stevew like this

#41 Lucullus

Lucullus

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 March 2020 - 08:28 AM

Sold my 102mm f5 Celestron and am now putting the finishing touches on my homebuilt 100mm F4.5 using Suplus Shed lens.

I guess you sold it because the Celestron and your ATM fulfill the same purpose and it's clear that you'd keep your ATM?

I was young and foolish.

That's your reason for which deed? Selling a keeper?

That's your better half, right? :)

• doctordub likes this

#42 NikhilJoshi

NikhilJoshi

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Seattle WA, USA

Posted 27 March 2020 - 02:26 PM

That's your reason for which deed? Selling a keeper?

Yes, I very much regret selling my flourite FSQ-106N and my Tak Sky-90.

#43 NYJohn S

NYJohn S

Vanguard

• Loc: Northport, NY

Posted 30 March 2020 - 03:06 PM

I had a C80ED I really liked. I was getting ready to upgrade the stock focuser and a deal came along on a SV80A that was used once. I got it and sold the C80ED. Even though the SV80A is better mechanically I find myself missing the C80ED. I had many great nights with it and I liked the classic look of it. 

Celestron C80ED

Edited by NYJohn S, 30 March 2020 - 03:06 PM.

• rustynpp, eros312 and 25585 like this

#44 rustynpp

rustynpp

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NYC

Posted 30 March 2020 - 03:26 PM

I had a C80ED I really liked. I was getting ready to upgrade the stock focuser and a deal came along on a SV80A that was used once. I got it and sold the C80ED. Even though the SV80A is better mechanically I find myself missing the C80ED. I had many great nights with it and I liked the classic look of it. 

Hi John,

I'd be curious to hear if you ever did any side-by-side comparisons between the two, and if so what differences you observed. I've been very pleased with my C80ED, but rarely (if ever) do I get the opportunity to look through scopes that aren't my own, so I'm constantly wondering what the views look like through comparable scopes.

Thanks!

Nick

#45 NYJohn S

NYJohn S

Vanguard

• Loc: Northport, NY

Posted 30 March 2020 - 03:46 PM

Hi John,

I'd be curious to hear if you ever did any side-by-side comparisons between the two, and if so what differences you observed. I've been very pleased with my C80ED, but rarely (if ever) do I get the opportunity to look through scopes that aren't my own, so I'm constantly wondering what the views look like through comparable scopes.

Thanks!

Nick

Hi Nick

I had them out together when I first got the SV80A. Optically they're very similar. Both don't show much false color. I thought the SV80A would have better contrast with the baffles in it but that didn't seem to be the case. The C80ED is F7.5 vs F7 for the SV80A so the magnification with the same eyepiece was slightly higher. I'm not sure if that affected my perception of the contrast but I think they're very close. The C80ED is a great scope if you ask me. 

John

• rustynpp, eros312 and 25585 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics