•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Greatest Night Ever!

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 SeaDog35

SeaDog35

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Cocoa, Florida

Posted 26 March 2020 - 07:00 AM

I had such a blast last night. I have been rearranging my RACI, Telrad, Orion Green Laser Pointer, so they are all in a tight little group around the focuser and I finally got it right. Now, I don't have to get up off my seat to see in anything, just move my head, up and down. It is so much easier. The GLP, BrentKnight recommended, that makes is so flippin easy. Somehow, I can just look at Stellarium and get a couple of stars and a guesstimate of the position of the DSO, put the laser on that place and boom! There it is, 8 out of 10 times. For me, my greatest accomplishment last night was M72. Low on the horizon, but there it was. I gazed at that for a long time. Used the Barlow on the BHZ. Couldn't believe I was looking at it. 54 million lyrs away! Too much!  I was so excited,after last night, that when I woke up at 0500, I just jumped out of bed. Hadn't done that in years, for anything. I had a list of things to see near Scorpius and The Teapot. Found M4, this am.Just lined up Antares and Alniyat and pointed the GLP where I thought it should be and bam, there it was.  Of course, I was using my, new to me, ES 24mm 82' eyepiece and it was great. Nice and clear and seemed to focus better. The Beehive Cluster was neat. I was gonna write everything down, this am, but lost my pen. Tonight, I will write them down, as I see them. I observed 10 or more DSO's last night and the same this am. It was my best night ever. And that Stellarium, with the music in the back ground, I thought I was going to get absorbed into the universe. I have been keeping a bit of a log but, I can see that I need to do it, while I am observing. Bob's knobs and springs, can't say enough about them. I drag that scope 50 yards from the house, over bumpy ground, on a two wheel cart and it barely needs collimating. Get some, if you don't have them. I will add a pic of my finder arrangement, on my scope. It is working out real well. Appreciate all the advice I've received here.  

• Dave Mitsky, rustynpp, Starman27 and 19 others like this

#2 SeaBee1

SeaBee1

Skylab

• Loc: Under the DFW light barrier

Posted 26 March 2020 - 07:04 AM

That's what we are talking about!

Enjoy the journey, you are on your way!

Keep looking up and good hunting!

CB

• Asbytec likes this

#3 M11Mike

M11Mike

Apollo

• Loc: Ballston Lake, NY

Posted 26 March 2020 - 07:10 AM

SD35 --- nice to have such a great night - especially in these "difficult" for so many times.  

We are all stuck inside pretty much due to the C19 restrictions here.

Waiting for warmer weather so I too can get out there and enjoy the heavens - I have a brand new mount yet to see light.  I'm a warm weather observer only.  Last night got down to 20 here - too cold for me to go out - was clear.

Looks like most of my early season stargazing will be done "solo" as I'm in my 70's and in the high risk group and I also live in NY where we have half the confirmed cases of the entire U.S.  Better safe than sorry (or worse).   

M11Mike  

• RLawson likes this

#4 SeaDog35

SeaDog35

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 March 2020 - 07:23 AM

First pic is pointers all spread out. Had to get up to see through RACI and stand for Telrad. Second pic is all bunched up with RACI on a block of teak, to raise it up. The group was 17 inches across . Now it’s 13. Really made it easy. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 207ABD29-95E3-492F-9E01-20EA41FFF7FC.jpeg
  • 8C01BAF1-B813-4BEA-ADAE-4F0ECDB18A82.jpeg

• Dave Mitsky and ArizonaScott like this

#5 SeaDog35

SeaDog35

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 March 2020 - 07:28 AM

If you didn't see my post in Eyepieces, Explore Scientific-15-20% off. Noticed it last night. 

#6 SeaDog35

SeaDog35

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 March 2020 - 07:36 AM

M11Mike, I understand, high risk group. I am an ICU Nurse, I'm thinking that makes me a high risk group, as well. My daughter lives in Brooklyn and it is worrying me to pieces. Scary, all the way around. Stay home, relax. Buy some eyepieces! Online, of course.

• ShaulaB likes this

#7 rustynpp

rustynpp

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NYC

Posted 26 March 2020 - 08:51 AM

I love posts like this grin.gif

• joelcindyclark likes this

#8 chrysalis

chrysalis

ISS

• Loc: North Central NC

Posted 26 March 2020 - 09:15 AM

Well, 55 THOUSAND light years...but still dang far :) !!

#9 Det274

Det274

Lift Off

• Loc: Vaudreuil-Dorion,Qc, Canada

Posted 26 March 2020 - 09:30 AM

Thanks for the inspiration SeaDog35. Nice setup on the dob. Looking forward to warmer temps so I can drag out my 15" Tectron. Still snowbanks up here in Montreal.

#10 rowdy388

rowdy388

Soyuz

• Loc: Saratoga County, NY

Posted 26 March 2020 - 09:45 AM

Nice setup! I also use a Telrad riser and think it makes a big improvement, especially 

when it starts getting crowded up by the focuser.

#11 Starman27

Starman27

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Illinois, Iowa

Posted 26 March 2020 - 10:23 AM

Thanks for the great observing report. Your excitement is contagious.

• joelcindyclark likes this

#12 Dova

Dova

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 March 2020 - 11:18 AM

Looks like you went with the Orion GLP w/ Mount?  I'm about to buy my first ever scope, going with a 10" Apertura.  Live in rural Iowa, so no where near airports, GLP seems to make a lot of sense, most of my viewing will be under either Bortle 5 skies (in town) or Bortle 3/4 at my parents place in the country.  One thing I'm trying to determine is, would I use the Telrad if I had the GLP?  Debating whether to purchase both or just go w/ the GLP + RACI that comes with the Apertura.

I'm looking for a used 24MM ES 82 to pop up on the classifieds - just missed one the other day, but that's the eyepiece I'm looking for, sounds as though you like yours?  Already have an 8.8MM ES 82.

#13 rustynpp

rustynpp

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NYC

Posted 26 March 2020 - 11:55 AM

Word of advice re. a green laser pointer - if you have any plans at all to use it in cold (< 40F) weather, get a Z-Bolt. It's a bit more expensive up front, but the Orion laser will poop out in the cold and very quickly become unusable.

I own both the Orion laser and a Z-Bolt, and I had them both out in about 35F the other night. The Z-Bolt was bright as could be, and the Orion was barely visible.

https://www.custom-l...n-laser-pointer

Under "select options" make sure you choose "Black (Upgrade to "XT" Low Temp 14°F ~ 122°F) [+$30.00]."

• tjbitt likes this

#14 tommm

tommm

Viking 1

Posted 26 March 2020 - 12:02 PM

Makes me feel good to hear things went so well!  Been cloudy here, snowing now. You got me chompin' at the bit!

#15 SeaDog35

SeaDog35

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 March 2020 - 12:06 PM

I have used GLP for 3 nights. Never touched the Telrad except for initial alignment of finders, when I first go out. Have to say though, that

Telrad is spot on, all the time, even when strapped on with cable ties. That laser is great. Just turn it on for a second or two to line up, then off. And, it is cool green.. I read that the Apertura is the same as the Zhumell. I am really happy with my choice. It is a little bulky. I take it out on a 2 wheel cart.But, once you start looking, it's worth it. I started out wanting an 8SE , but after listening to the guys and gals here, read more and decided on the manual Dob. I like tradition, anyways. What did Messier have back in the 1700's? 55,000 lyrs, I got a little excited, but 55 million sounds better. Yeah, I'm the guy who got that ES 24mm 82', gotta be fast. I think I missed 10 before that one. When you see one, buy it. It'll be gone when you come back. Something about not being able to see M72 real clearly. Stars kinda fading in and out while I adjust focus, trying to get it a bit clearer. Gives you a sense of distance, mystifying. I cannot tell how exciting last night was. It was fantastic!

#16 SteveG

SteveG

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 26 March 2020 - 01:04 PM

I have used GLP for 3 nights. Never touched the Telrad except for initial alignment of finders, when I first go out. Have to say though, that

Telrad is spot on, all the time, even when strapped on with cable ties. That laser is great. Just turn it on for a second or two to line up, then off. And, it is cool green.. I read that the Apertura is the same as the Zhumell. I am really happy with my choice. It is a little bulky. I take it out on a 2 wheel cart.But, once you start looking, it's worth it. I started out wanting an 8SE , but after listening to the guys and gals here, read more and decided on the manual Dob. I like tradition, anyways. What did Messier have back in the 1700's? 55,000 lyrs, I got a little excited, but 55 million sounds better. Yeah, I'm the guy who got that ES 24mm 82', gotta be fast. I think I missed 10 before that one. When you see one, buy it. It'll be gone when you come back. Something about not being able to see M72 real clearly. Stars kinda fading in and out while I adjust focus, trying to get it a bit clearer. Gives you a sense of distance, mystifying. I cannot tell how exciting last night was. It was fantastic!

I went to a GLP about 10 years ago. My other finders (same as yours) have steadily disappeared from the scope, due to lack of use. I use the GLP the same as you, with a low power, widefield in the scope.

#17 knUk23

knUk23

Explorer 1

• Loc: Eastern Nebraska

Posted 26 March 2020 - 01:46 PM

I love it SeaDog35, glad to see things are starting to work out for you!

#18 SeaDog35

SeaDog35

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 March 2020 - 06:54 AM

Out again, last night, and had some observations, new to me. I took notes as I went along. Started with Orion's Nebula and compared eyepieces. GSO 30mm , came with scope, ES 24mm 82' , Meade UWA 20mm 82' and Baader Hyperion Zoom, with and without 2.25 Barlow. My best view, for me, was the BHZ, clear and crisp and so easy to zoom to 156x. In the Trapezium, noted a fifth star, to the left and then put the Barlow on, and found a sixth star to the right, nice and sharp view. This was about 357x. Drew a little picture, to verify later. What surprised me was that with the high magnification, I thought I was seeing tree branches. I am surrounded by big oaks and have to pick my site carefully. So, I was like, Whhaattt? Couldn't figure out what I was looking at. What is was that with the high magnification, the contrast had made the background very dark and the view was almost 3D. That was pretty neat, after I figured it out. I can see things better now, like you people said I would. When I split Alnitak, I can see the two stars are farther apart and more easily discernible, at 357x with BHZ and 2.25 Barlow. The Beehive was best in the GSO 30mm. M93 was best with the BHZ. I continued on to M47, M46, NGC 2423. Trying each eyepiece and noting the difference. I see some eyepieces are better for this and some better for that. It was good taking notes as I went along. Now, I am looking at them, as I type this, and can remember my night. With out notes, I couldn't remember squat. Taking notes made it more fun, I felt like an astronomer. Got up early and went out to see the planets. Could make out the Cassini Division very clearly, Jupiter, plenty of detail, Mars, not much too it. Checked out M4, in Scorpius. Tried to find M72, but couldn't. Got tired and quit. My fave, so far, is M46. The stars are so tiny and thick/dense. It seems so far away, at 5,545 lyrs. I guess it is. I think the moral of the story is, I need 100 eyepieces of all shapes and sizes. You guys said you would support me, when this happened. Don't let me down, in my time of need...

• rustynpp, Starman27, flt158 and 2 others like this

#19 Starman27

Starman27

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Illinois, Iowa

Posted 29 March 2020 - 10:25 AM

Taking notes and keeping a log a good thing to do. more than just the target, but the conditions and the equipment. Soon you will have a wealth of information.

#20 Achernar

Achernar

Voyager 1

• Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA

Posted 29 March 2020 - 10:34 AM

This is what it's all about, exploration of the Universe and having a blast while doing it. waytogo.gif

Taras

#21 RLawson

RLawson

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Tennessee

Posted 30 March 2020 - 05:56 AM

Great reports. Keep having fun.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics