•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Issue with skyguider pro, (i think)

astrophotography mount
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 EmilioO

EmilioO

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 March 2020 - 07:10 AM

Hi all! Im new here.. In the last nights i got several problems with my astriohotography attempt.. Just bought a ioptron skyguider pro, i did all the alignment and all the stuff process, but i got "intermittent" pictures, some with perfect round stars and other pictures with trails. Tought it was the clutch so i thigthened, but it keep taking bad pics. It goes like in the video.. Any one had the same issue or know how to solve it? frown.gif

https://youtu.be/4u7JHumPC4g

Edited by EmilioO, 26 March 2020 - 07:20 AM.

#2 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 26 March 2020 - 09:20 AM

A common problem is losing polar alignment if you move the camera.  The last thing I do before starting the wireless intervalometer is take a look through the polar alignment scope to see it's still good.

• EmilioO likes this

#3 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 26 March 2020 - 09:32 AM

Few questions:

What are you getting the images with, basically which camera ?

What settings for the intervalometer have you specified if it is a DSLR ?

What setting have you set on the DSLR itself ?

As an idea I would expect the Intervalometer to be say 30 second exposure and a 10 second wait between each exposure.

The DSLR should be in Manual operation and manual focus and set to B for exposure, Noise Reduction Off.

The video almost looks like a DSLR is trying to obtain some form of autofocus.

• EmilioO likes this

#4 astrodom

astrodom

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: NY , USA

Posted 26 March 2020 - 09:35 AM

I was going to ask what the total weight of your system is.  For my camera with a wide field lens, the tracking is amazingly accurate, but with my z61 and camera on it, I get a mix of good tracking and egg shaped stars with the skyguider pro.  I think when you work a the greater weights, it gets harder to get consistent results, but this is just my own experience.  I would double check the polar alignment.  Good luck.

#5 EmilioO

EmilioO

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 March 2020 - 10:56 AM

Few questions:

What are you getting the images with, basically which camera ?

What settings for the intervalometer have you specified if it is a DSLR ?

What setting have you set on the DSLR itself ?

As an idea I would expect the Intervalometer to be say 30 second exposure and a 10 second wait between each exposure.

The DSLR should be in Manual operation and manual focus and set to B for exposure, Noise Reduction Off.

The video almost looks like a DSLR is trying to obtain some form of autofocus.

1.- im getting the image with a canon 6d mark ii

2.- 2 min exposure, 5 secs between shots

3.- bulb mode, iso 1600, focus is fixed in 4.9, (got the redcat 51).

I tried shoting 1 pic after another manually, to see if it was something about the tiem between pics, but it was the same :(.

About the dslr it is in manual focus, 

#6 EmilioO

EmilioO

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 March 2020 - 11:00 AM

I was going to ask what the total weight of your system is.  For my camera with a wide field lens, the tracking is amazingly accurate, but with my z61 and camera on it, I get a mix of good tracking and egg shaped stars with the skyguider pro.  I think when you work a the greater weights, it gets harder to get consistent results, but this is just my own experience.  I would double check the polar alignment.  Good luck.

Hmmm i bought the same setup of peter zelinka, here is a picture of my setup, thats why i thought the weight wasnt on fault. But ill try doing it with only my camera and a light lens, to see if it changes

Edited by EmilioO, 26 March 2020 - 11:04 AM.

#7 EmilioO

EmilioO

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 March 2020 - 11:00 AM

This is my setup

https://www.instagra...id=1bk3drnj0rg8

#8 TelescopeGreg

TelescopeGreg

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Auburn, California, USA

Posted 26 March 2020 - 05:27 PM

Thanks for the movie.  That helps. 

Looks to me like periodic error, since what I'm seeing is an oscillation back and forth (er, up and down).  I had a similar issue with my setup early on, and made a similar movie:

https://www.dropbox....acking.mp4?dl=0

The effect is a lot more pronounced with mine, as this was with an 8" f/5 Newtonian telescope instead of a camera and lens.  The issue might be minimized if your mount has a way to calibrate out its PE (called Periodic Error Correction, PEC), but the answer for me was to invest in an auto guider solution.  Image stabilization on steroids...

• EmilioO likes this

#9 EmilioO

EmilioO

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 March 2020 - 08:31 PM

It solved! I took 10 pics of 2 min and 10 pics of 3 mins, perfect rounded stars! I did 2 things, i saw another post of a similar issue, it suggested to hold the mode buttom and turn on the skyguider, it will start to go to 1 side for 8 min and then turn back (its something like calibrating). After that i cleared the positions of the ipolar. After that all went well! Thanks all for your advices :D

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, mount

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics