•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

C/2019 Y4? Or A Figment Of My Imagination

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BeltofOrion

BeltofOrion

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Newfoundland, Canada

Posted 26 March 2020 - 09:20 AM

Last night I decided to try something different. I attached my Sigma Sport 150-600mm zoom lens to a recently purchased 14" Losmandy Universal Dovetail Plate, stuck it on the CGX-L mount, attached my Nikon D810 to the lens, used Stellarium to point the mount at C/2019 Y4's position, attached my CamRanger to the camera, and sat in my warm living room shooting frames remotely ... hoping I might pick up the comet. (The CamRanger is a great piece of equipment, by the way. At least 30-35 feet and two walls between me and the camera and it worked perfectly!)

Anyway, after jacking the sharpening and contrast  of the shot way beyond anything I'd normally do and scrutinizing the surrounding stars on Stellarium and comparing them to the stars on my image, I thought maybe ... just maybe ... that little fuzzy blob is C/2019 Y4.  What do you think? Yes? No? Maybe?

Attached Thumbnails

• C2019Y4_1.jpg

Edited by BeltofOrion, 26 March 2020 - 09:27 AM.

• eros312 likes this

#2 einarin

einarin

Vanguard

Posted 26 March 2020 - 09:50 AM

Looks like a comet, so yes.

• BeltofOrion likes this

#3 ismosi

ismosi

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: New London, Pennsylvania, USA

Posted 26 March 2020 - 10:01 AM

I agree with 'einarin'. It is .. it is .. green. So probably it is C/2019 Y4 (ATLAS). Have you done an astrometric solution? Although, if you were pointed toward Ursa Major, I'm not sure what else it *could* be ...

• BeltofOrion likes this

#4 ssagerian

ssagerian

Maker Uranographer

• Vendors

Posted 26 March 2020 - 10:09 AM

I would agree, you should have taken a few shots spread out over 20 minutes to  confirm

• BeltofOrion likes this

#5 BeltofOrion

BeltofOrion

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Newfoundland, Canada

Posted 26 March 2020 - 10:22 AM

I would agree, you should have taken a few shots spread out over 20 minutes to  confi

The way the weather has been in these parts, I was lucky to get what I did. smile.gif  And we have 28 cm more snow forecasted for Friday/Saturday ... and 4mm of rain besides! But I'll keep trying as the weather permits. I haven't tried it with my Celestron 1100 Edge HD yet ... it needs collimation and I just purchased and installed Bob's Knobs. I guess I could have done that last night, but I didn't want to waste the bit of clear skies we had.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics