•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Triple threat: Jupiter, Mars and Saturn 2020-03-25

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 DMach

DMach

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: The most light-polluted country in the world :(

Posted 26 March 2020 - 09:27 AM

A double moon transit across Jupiter was enough to drag me out of bed early Wednesday morning.

Seeing was better than my last outing, but still not all that great. So I've reduce the scaling of the final images in order to hide some of the blur and noise.  wink.gif

Aside from the moon shadows, Ganymede and (if you have very good eyes!) Io can be seen in the Jupiter image. 

Montage - Mars Jupiter Saturn 2020-03-25 v1 25pc pd.png

Imaging equipment: C11, ASI290MC, PowerMate 2.0, ZWO ADC, UV/IR cut filter

Thanks for looking, and keep safe out there everyone!

• Diego, Sunspot, PrestonE and 26 others like this

#2 Baskevo

Baskevo

Vostok 1

• Loc: Orange County, CA

Posted 26 March 2020 - 09:39 AM

Wow these are incredible...

#3 Starkid2u

Starkid2u

Apollo

• Loc: East Syracuse, NY

Posted 26 March 2020 - 10:12 AM

If I do everything right, a YEAR from now I'll duplicate this effort. I have everything you do, as far as equipment goes. As a beginner, this is inspiring to me because with the same equipment and hard work, I now know what I can create. Beautiful stuff. Great job!

STARKID2U

#4 Sunspot

Sunspot

Cosmos

• Loc: Surprise, AZ

Posted 26 March 2020 - 10:40 AM

Very nice!!! Just wish we could get clear skies out here.

#5 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 26 March 2020 - 04:49 PM

Surely you meant "triple treat" Darren..! :rofl: Of course these images might suggest that you're going to threaten everyone's efforts by capturing some absolute pearlers later in the year!

Excellent!!! waytogo.gif waytogo.gif waytogo.gif

• gfstallin likes this

#6 Greg M

Greg M

Mariner 2

• Loc: Henderson, NV

Posted 26 March 2020 - 05:12 PM

Beautiful images. Congrats.

#7 Foc

Foc

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: South Canberra

Posted 26 March 2020 - 05:31 PM

A great grouping of images Darren.  Seeing or even cloud free viewing has been in short supply for many of us. Are you going for Mercury as well next time, or would that be too many threats!

#8 Lacaille

Lacaille

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Canberra

Posted 26 March 2020 - 07:39 PM

Very nice Darren and it looks like Hellas might be clearing up a bit on Mars.

#9 sunnyday

sunnyday

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Ottawa,Canada

Posted 26 March 2020 - 07:47 PM

hubble has competition, wow, very impressive.
thank you.

#10 Tulloch

Tulloch

Viking 1

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 26 March 2020 - 09:48 PM

Really good (as usual), surely Mars could be blown up a bit, looks fantastic!

Even Saturn, is that a sliver of planet peeking out from underneath the rings?

Andrew

Edited by Tulloch, 26 March 2020 - 09:49 PM.

#11 DMach

DMach

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 March 2020 - 05:00 AM

Wow these are incredible...

Beautiful images. Congrats.

hubble has competition, wow, very impressive.
thank you.

Thank you all for the likes and kind comments.  :)

• sunnyday likes this

#12 DMach

DMach

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 March 2020 - 05:11 AM

If I do everything right, a YEAR from now I'll duplicate this effort. I have everything you do, as far as equipment goes. As a beginner, this is inspiring to me because with the same equipment and hard work, I now know what I can create. Beautiful stuff. Great job!

STARKID2U

Have fun with that equipment, that's the most important thing! The C11 has served me very well so far, such a world of difference from my 6SE.

If you look through my Astrobin gallery, you'll see my journey of continuous improvement. My first light with the C11 was very different to how things looked once I managed to dial everything in (and improve my processing, thanks in no small part to advice from Darryl and others in this forum).

Collimation, thermal equilibrium and (of course) focus would be key things to think about. And the community here is always willing to help if you have questions.  smile.gif

• Starkid2u likes this

#13 DMach

DMach

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 March 2020 - 05:13 AM

Very nice!!! Just wish we could get clear skies out here.

I feel for you Paul - we had weeks if not months of cloudy nights here recently. Thankfully the occasional clear morning has been on offer lately.

#14 DMach

DMach

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 March 2020 - 05:17 AM

Surely you meant "triple treat" Darren..! rofl2.gif Of course these images might suggest that you're going to threaten everyone's efforts by capturing some absolute pearlers later in the year!

Excellent!!! waytogo.gif waytogo.gif waytogo.gif

You know what Darryl, you're absolutely right ... in hindsight, I'm not sure why I named the thread as such and wish I could rename it to something more positive.

Perhaps an indication of my mindset with everything that's going on. I've lost count of the number of "COVID-19 response" meetings I've been part of at work lately ...  :(

#15 DMach

DMach

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 March 2020 - 05:18 AM

A great grouping of images Darren.  Seeing or even cloud free viewing has been in short supply for many of us. Are you going for Mercury as well next time, or would that be too many threats!

Thank you! 

I probably won't get around to Mercury, purely because the timing might be a "threat" to my job lol - with the time zone differences, I'm on calls with head office most mornings.

#16 DMach

DMach

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 March 2020 - 05:21 AM

Very nice Darren and it looks like Hellas might be clearing up a bit on Mars.

You've got good eyes, Mark! I wasn't confident making a call on that with the level of detail I managed - I struggled to make a good call on focus for Mars, with dawn rapidly approaching.

#17 R Botero

R Botero

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 27 March 2020 - 05:30 AM

Superb images Darren! You guys down south get all the treats!

Roberto

#18 DMach

DMach

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 March 2020 - 05:35 AM

Really good (as usual), surely Mars could be blown up a bit, looks fantastic!

Even Saturn, is that a sliver of planet peeking out from underneath the rings?

Andrew

Thanks Andrew.

Just for you, I'll "lift the skirt" a little ... don't tell anyone!!  ;P

I feel I may have given into the "oversharpening in marginal seeing" temptation a little, especially for Mars and Jupiter ... don't have time to start again, though.

150% image scale

Mars 2020-03-24 21-54 v1 50pc pd.png

80% image scale (the most I feel the data can support)

Jupiter 2020-03-24 with Ganymede and Io 21-28 10pc 3f v1 27pc pd.png

100% image scale (with the noise starting to show)

Saturn 2020-03-24 22-16 v1 33pc pd rotated.png

• ToxMan, Milosz, vilchez and 1 other like this

#19 lynnelkriver

lynnelkriver

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Elk River, Mn.

Posted 03 April 2020 - 07:56 PM

All amazing images!  I'm curious of what your imaging train sequence is as I'm looking to get into planetary imaging with a C9.25 Edge HD that I just got. I'm not quite sure if the ZWO ADC is placed after the Powermate or before? Thanks much in advance!  Scott

#20 wargrafix

wargrafix

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: Trinidad

Posted 03 April 2020 - 11:18 PM

That looks so darn good. I love it!

#21 DMach

DMach

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 April 2020 - 03:01 AM

That looks so darn good. I love it!

Thank you, glad you enjoyed them.  :)

#22 DMach

DMach

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 April 2020 - 03:11 AM

All amazing images!  I'm curious of what your imaging train sequence is as I'm looking to get into planetary imaging with a C9.25 Edge HD that I just got. I'm not quite sure if the ZWO ADC is placed after the Powermate or before? Thanks much in advance!  Scott

Thanks Scott.

There are many ways to "skin that cat", but here is how I have the imaging train for my setup:

planetary_imaging_train_C11_ASI290MC.jpg

This is largely because I prefer to have my setup with as many threaded connections as possible - more rigid (although this is not really essential for planetary work) and helps keep the dust out. I leave the above permanently assembled (again, to avoid dust intrusion) and it plugs straight in to the 2" visual back, ready for action.

Which PowerMate will you be using? As you may already be aware, the effective magnification varies depending on the spacing/focal distance per the chart on their website below:

http://www.televue.c...?id=53&Tab=_app

Just something to be aware of, depending on how strictly you want to be with the image scale versus camera pixel size.

• Starkid2u likes this

#23 lynnelkriver

lynnelkriver

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Elk River, Mn.

Posted 04 April 2020 - 09:07 AM

Thanks Scott.

There are many ways to "skin that cat", but here is how I have the imaging train for my setup:

attachicon.gifplanetary_imaging_train_C11_ASI290MC.jpg

This is largely because I prefer to have my setup with as many threaded connections as possible - more rigid (although this is not really essential for planetary work) and helps keep the dust out. I leave the above permanently assembled (again, to avoid dust intrusion) and it plugs straight in to the 2" visual back, ready for action.

Which PowerMate will you be using? As you may already be aware, the effective magnification varies depending on the spacing/focal distance per the chart on their website below:

http://www.televue.c...?id=53&Tab=_app

Just something to be aware of, depending on how strictly you want to be with the image scale versus camera pixel size.

This is exactly what I needed!  I'm looking to add a Starlight Instruments crayford style focuser to the back and pretty much the same equipment your photo shows.  I already have the ASI290MC similar to what you use.  Plan to get the 2X powermate which will put me at f20 which is above the 5X the pixel (f14.5). I might need to look at possibly a ASI224MC with the larger pixel size or the ASI174MM but I'm not sure I want to mess with filter wheel and filters.  I have been so impressed with what you have done for planetary images with the ASI290MC that I thought I'd start there.  I'm up in Minnesota so the planets are not at a very high elevation here but trying to get ready for Mars later this year.All the best and thanks so much for your help!  Scott

#24 DMach

DMach

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 April 2020 - 09:31 AM

This is exactly what I needed!  I'm looking to add a Starlight Instruments crayford style focuser to the back and pretty much the same equipment your photo shows.  I already have the ASI290MC similar to what you use.  Plan to get the 2X powermate which will put me at f20 which is above the 5X the pixel (f14.5). I might need to look at possibly a ASI224MC with the larger pixel size or the ASI174MM but I'm not sure I want to mess with filter wheel and filters.  I have been so impressed with what you have done for planetary images with the ASI290MC that I thought I'd start there.  I'm up in Minnesota so the planets are not at a very high elevation here but trying to get ready for Mars later this year.All the best and thanks so much for your help!  Scott

My philosophy is and has always been: get out there and have some fun with what you have.  :)

• lynnelkriver likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics