•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Venus extended cusps

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 flt158

flt158

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Dublin, Republic of Ireland

Posted 26 March 2020 - 09:39 AM

Hello, admirers of Venus

What a late afternoon and night I had last Wednesday 25th March in my back garden!
I had set up my William Optics 158 mm F/7 apochromatic refractor at about 5 pm. Temperatures ranged from 9 to 4 degrees Celsius as the night wore on. There was no wind at all.

Sunset occurred at 18.48 UT

Guide 9.1 DVD provides these figures for Venus.

I could see Venus with my own eyes right at the very start at 17 UT. She has a magnitude of -4.5. Her distance was 105 million kms and closing. Her angular diameter was 23.8". But most importantly of all, she was 50.7% illuminated. Today Thursday she will be 50% lit. I soon discovered there was very little shimmering as I increased the magnifications. My highest was 280X with a William Optics 4 mm eyepiece. But what I want to ask you is this: has anyone noticed that her cusps are now very slightly extended? Try it over the next 2 to 5 days. I still don't see any dark shadings in Venus' clouds. But maybe they will come soon. She still looks most majestic.

Clear skies, 

Aubrey. 

• L. Regira likes this

#2 Rutilus

Rutilus

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 27 March 2020 - 04:56 AM

I made a short observation of Venus a few days ago, I too noticed the slightly extended cusps.

Also noted was some irregular dusky markings. My scope was my 120mm f/8.3 Achromat fitted with

bino-viewers working at 166x. 

• flt158 likes this

#3 flt158

flt158

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Dublin, Republic of Ireland

Posted 27 March 2020 - 08:15 AM

Good man, Rutilus!

I had the feeling I wasn't imaging these slightly extended cusps. 

It will be very interesting what other surprises Venus has for us. 

Especially as the planet turns crescent. 

Clear skies, 

Aubrey. 

#4 Stardust Dave

Stardust Dave

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: 39*N 122*.40' W

Posted 27 March 2020 - 12:21 PM

"has anyone noticed that her cusps are now very slightly extended?"

I noticed the extended cusps as well in 13" f 4.5  at 144X - 245X about a week ago.

Which I thought was odd because Venus was at 53% illumination on that evening of observation.

• Rutilus and flt158 like this

#5 Rutilus

Rutilus

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 27 March 2020 - 04:26 PM

Had another look this evening, same scope with magnifications from 100 to 400x.

Seeing conditions were slightly better than my previous observation. The northern cusp appeared 

slightly more prominent than the southern one. I think this was due to an optical effect, as the northern cusp

appeared slightly brighter to me. Again irregular dusky markings visible. 

• flt158 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics