•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mains Power / Power Tank for EQ5 Mount

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CSW

CSW

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 March 2020 - 09:52 AM

Hi, I have a question about my power supply. I run a Celestron AVX mount for AP. I have been using A celestron power tank for a couple of years. The last two outings on my garden the tank has run out of power after a couple of hours having been fully charged during the day  prior to my evening. So frustrated wiht this as I dont understand what the problem is. Can I use mains power/ Is something wrong with my fairly new power tank? I hope you may be able to help me. Thank you so much in advance.

Claire 

#2 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 26 March 2020 - 10:20 AM

You said your Power Tank is fairly new, but I'll say this anyway: rechargeable batteries do eventually "wear out" and quit taking charge.  Perhaps you can find a Batteries N Bulbs Plus type of store and ask them to test the battery in your Power Tank.  You might have a bad battery.

Yes, you can use mains power with your mount.  You need to purchase a power supply which converts your mains (120VAC or 220VAC) to 12VDC.  For just your mount, a power supply with 2A capacity should be plenty.  

Could be something as simple as this (I don't know if this unit is of good quality or even if it has enough capacity, I'm only showing it as an example):

https://www.amazon.c...85235822&sr=8-8

Or something like this (I use something similar when I am at star parties that supply 120V power):

https://www.amazon.c...85235990&sr=8-4

If you buy a power supply make sure the plug is the correct polarity!  If you plug power with the wrong polarity into your mount you will damage your mount's PC boards.  I think the AV-X plug is what is called "center pin positive" (see picture below), which means the center part of the plug has + voltage and the outside of the plug has - voltage.

CPP.png

Edited by macdonjh, 26 March 2020 - 10:25 AM.

#3 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 26 March 2020 - 10:29 AM

Two years is likely the life expectancy of a Lithium, they do age and eventually cannot be charged as fully.

I run all my scopes if possible off mains, if it is available.

So yes running from mains is an option.

Have to ask: You say EQ5 mount then only seem to mention running an AVX ?

Which is it?

Ask as an EQ5 can be manual - no power so not applicable, or goto which is 12v, or dual motors which are 6v. It is the 2 motor options that are a question.

#4 CSW

CSW

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 March 2020 - 07:28 AM

My Mount is the  Celestron AVX. 

It only came with a connection cable for running with a power tank or similar. I would like to use mains at home so just wondered which cable might be the correct one. There seem to be many out there but with different connectors. Any help with this would be great Thanks so much. yes i've been using my power tank for two years now.....

Claire 

#5 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 27 March 2020 - 08:33 AM

CSW,

Post a photo of you mount's power cable.  I'll bet it has a 5mm barrel connector on the mount end and a cigarette lighter plug on the other.  If that's the case, you could plug it right in to the Pyramid power supply I provided a link for above.  Then you'd be on mains power.

I'll repeat, you have to double check whatever power supply you decide to use to make sure it sends your mount the right polarity.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics