•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Best accessories for Takahashi FC-100D

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 macmann

macmann

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 March 2020 - 10:08 AM

I have a FC-100D that came with the standard 1.25" eyepiece holder.  Are people changing to a 2" for a larger view?  What are the other accessories everyone is buying for these scopes besides eyepieces and filters?

#2 25585

Cosmos

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 26 March 2020 - 10:10 AM

What D model? DC?

#3 macmann

macmann

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 March 2020 - 10:14 AM

What D model? DC?

I believe it's the plain jane D model.  The label on the scope says FC-100D

#4 25585

Cosmos

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 26 March 2020 - 10:27 AM

DC has a smaller focuser than DF. For the DC, if you wish to use 2" fit eyepieces & accessories, you need to buy an adapter. The DF comes with the 2" included in its price.

#5 fate187

fate187

Mariner 2

• Loc: Saxony, Germany

Posted 26 March 2020 - 11:13 AM

If it is the DC model with the smaller focuser and only 1.25" adaption get a Baader Clicklock 2" adapter. See my adaption here: https://www.cloudyni...post&p=10044475

To be blatant I found the original adaption with various adapters aweful. That could be just me, because I change between mono and bino viewing.

Also look into the Baader T2 system.

• mikeDnight and 25585 like this

#6 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 27 March 2020 - 06:18 AM

The scope will already work great with 1 1/4" accessories. But if you have or intend to buy 2" accessories, that will open up an even wider view of our universe. I still vividly remember the first view in my 4" fluorite of all the belt stars in Orion with my first 2" diagonal and 40mm 2"wide field eyepiece! 

• 25585 likes this

#7 macmann

macmann

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 March 2020 - 10:31 AM

I could not find the designation on the scope but the box indicates DF.  I do not have 2" accessories.  Mine came with 1.25" eye piece holder. 

Edited by macmann, 27 March 2020 - 10:34 AM.

#8 Spikey131

Spikey131

Apollo

Posted 27 March 2020 - 11:01 AM

The DF comes with a 2.7" focuser, so it can take 2" accessories.  Do you have diagonal?  Perhaps you could post a photo of  the eyepiece end of the scope.

#9 mikeDnight

mikeDnight

Apollo

• Loc: Wild Wild West - North West England

Posted 27 March 2020 - 11:41 AM

Does a driven equatorial count as an accessory?  If so, I'd definitely include an RA driven mount, because these scopes will power up to rediculous magnifications under steady skies, and it would be a shame not to be able to take advantage of that.

The four Vixen HR eyepieces are astounding in the FC100D. 

May be the new Tak turret would be a great addition too? They are a bit pricey but could be worth the investment, especially in conjunction with the superlative Vixen HR's.

• Hesiod likes this

#10 Hesiod

Hesiod

Soyuz

Posted 27 March 2020 - 12:19 PM

The DF has a twist-lock 1.25" adapter and, if remove it, may use its 2", two screws adapter to hold 2" accessories (here's the best pic of this I have found

https://www.cloudyni...8115_985236.jpg The model here is the "DL", but the focuser is exactly the same employed with the DF, but for the painting, which was black instead of the hideous nuance of green used on my DF*)

I seldom uses 2" stuff because of the large increase of weight (the telescope can attain a very reasonable fov even with 1.25" accessories), but if are interested in some kind of observations it could be a worth purchase.

A tracking mount is probably the most useful purchase (I use equatorial ones: for stargazing I prefer manual ones with RA drive); then get a good quality stardiagonal, a bunch of eyepieces according to your wishes, and the nebular filter/s (at least a good UHC; if opted for the 2" route, I strongly suggest to get 2" nebular filters as well. Since I use for the most 1.25" EPs I got also 1.25" nebular filters so can resort to a somewhat small filterwheel, which can be seen in the picture I have posted linked to the stardiagonal).

If have the finderscope you do not need further aids; if do not have it, a red dot finder may be an excellent alternative; especially with an eq mount the telescope can act by itself as a finderscope (and, of course, if opted for a goto mount).

*in later versions is light blue

#11 macmann

macmann

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 March 2020 - 01:48 PM

Here is what I have. 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2388.jpg

Edited by macmann, 27 March 2020 - 01:52 PM.

#12 Spikey131

Spikey131

Apollo

Posted 27 March 2020 - 02:42 PM

Here is what I have. 

So all you need to use 2" eyepieces is a 2" diagonal, and put it in place of your current 1.25" diagonal.

#13 macmann

macmann

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 March 2020 - 02:49 PM

Apollo, thank you for the clarification.  I was looking at the Baader products.  They have two different diagnoals offered.  Is one better than the other?  

#14 Spikey131

Spikey131

Apollo

Posted 27 March 2020 - 05:53 PM

Apollo, thank you for the clarification.  I was looking at the Baader products.  They have two different diagnoals offered.  Is one better than the other?  

By the way, welcome to Cloudy Nights!  “Apollo” is my CN status, apparently based upon how many posts I made.  “Spikey131” is my CN name and my real name is Donald Trumplaugh.gif.

Now that you are initiated (and probably confused), on to your question.

Baader makes great diagonals.  I have two and like them both very much.  Your questions will likely spawn several pages of opinion and discussion, leaving you yet more confused.  Here is the CN definitive article on the subject:  

https://www.cloudyni...omparison-r2877

Pick the Baader diagonal you can afford or like the best.  I like the Clicklock mirror:  

I personally would choose one based upon the features, because you will not see any difference at the eyepiece.

Edited by Spikey131, 27 March 2020 - 05:54 PM.

#15 YAOG

YAOG

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 30 March 2020 - 04:42 PM

Macmann,

Baader makes a few different diagonals but because you have the Takahashi FC-100DF I would skip the prism diagonals which might show you a small contrast and detail advantage at high magnifications but it is also possible that the prism might introduce some aberrations not present without the prism in the optical path. IME the only way to know for sure is to try it with your particular telescope optic because even Takahashi lenses have some slight variations in the finished lenses. If you are curious find a fellow club member or observing friend with and see if you can borrow a Baader BBHS Zeiss spec prism to see if you like the results. Try it on objects the need higher magnification like small galaxies and planets, the improved contrast is noticeable but try to look for CA and astigmatism creeping in. Be sure to compare it with a good dielectric diagonal on objects with nebulosity both emission and reflection types, I was surprised at how much more extended the nebulosity was and this was confirmed over months of blind testing at public star parties. 

Most people buy a 2" diagonal because of the wider eyepiece options available with a 2" diagonal. At this level the difference in cost between a 2" and the smaller T2 diagonal system is pretty small so I would opt for the 2" diagonal unless you want to use lighter weight diagonal and 1.25" barrel eyepieces as I did with the T2 sized BBHS Zeiss prism for the f/9 Tak DL optic.  

This leaves you with Baader's standard 2" Click-Lock dielectric coated mirror and Baader's proprietary 2" Click-Lock BBHS coated Sitall mirror. Both are high quality mirrors but the Baader BBHS coated Sitall mirror is probably the best commercial mirror diagonal on the market due to the lower scatter and much broader spectral response of the BBHS coatings, the Sitall substrate is a bonus. The BBHS coated mirror's broader spectrum response is visible on certain types of objects, for example nebulosity is more visible. This is not an inexpensive diagonal but based on the photo showing your mount I think a few hundred bucks will not deter you from owning the best. 

So yes, the BBHS coated mirror diagonals are their best. It is visible when used side by side with other premium dielectric mirror diagonals like Baader, AP & TV.  

#16 YAOG

YAOG

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 30 March 2020 - 04:47 PM

By the way, welcome to Cloudy Nights!  “Apollo” is my CN status, apparently based upon how many posts I made.  “Spikey131” is my CN name and my real name is Donald Trumplaugh.gif.

Now that you are initiated (and probably confused), on to your question.

Baader makes great diagonals.  I have two and like them both very much.  Your questions will likely spawn several pages of opinion and discussion, leaving you yet more confused.  Here is the CN definitive article on the subject:  

https://www.cloudyni...omparison-r2877

Pick the Baader diagonal you can afford or like the best.  I like the Clicklock mirror:  

I personally would choose one based upon the features, because you will not see any difference at the eyepiece.

That is dated information. Here is the later updated article with the Baader BBHS information. 

Edited by YAOG, 30 March 2020 - 04:48 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics