•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Binoculars while in quarantine

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Cestus

Cestus

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 March 2020 - 10:42 AM

Like many I've been stuck at home. Not sick, but working remotely. I don't leave except for necessities. However, I have found great comfort in spending evenings viewing the night sky, weather permitting. Netflix gets old after awhile. My windows to the south and west are pretty good. My neighbors seem to be more inclined to turn their lights off nowadays. I've gotten some very nice views of Orion's nebula and the Pleiades. It is relaxing and peaceful. I have more time now to enjoy astronomy and learn more about it. If someone complains about being bored I tell them to get out their binoculars and look up. I'm really glad I took up this hobby. I hope everyone is well and God bless.

• edwincjones, Mark9473, hallelujah and 15 others like this

#2 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 26 March 2020 - 11:34 AM

I'd do the same......if I ever had clear enough skies......

Good you can get out though.

• sonny.barile and jcj380 like this

#3 DrJ1

DrJ1

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 26 March 2020 - 11:40 AM

Sky watching through binoculars is indeed relaxing.  I've had cloudy/rainy skies for several nights in a row and look forward to clear night to use several underused binocs. DrJ1

#4 asphericalaberration

asphericalaberration

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 26 March 2020 - 12:15 PM

Spying on the neighbors has its moments. /s

#5 erin

erin

Viking 1

• Loc: MA

Posted 26 March 2020 - 12:27 PM

Yes! I just got a pair of OB 20x80 LW that I am looking forward to trying out tonight. waytogo.gif

• jcj380 and j.gardavsky like this

#6 Cestus

Cestus

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 March 2020 - 01:18 PM

Yes! I just got a pair of OB 20x80 LW that I am looking forward to trying out tonight. waytogo.gif

I have the deluxe model and they are wonderful. For me the perfect combination of size and portability.

• erin likes this

#7 jcj380

jcj380

Surveyor 1

• Loc: 42N 88W

Posted 26 March 2020 - 01:21 PM

What do you have those mounted on?  

#8 erin

erin

Viking 1

• Loc: MA

Posted 26 March 2020 - 01:23 PM

Cestus-that is great! Those binos look amazing.

Jcj- they ride on the Orion Tritech II. Very nice combo!
  • jcj380 likes this

#9 John F

John F

Viking 1

• Loc: Pacific Northwest

Posted 27 March 2020 - 01:20 AM

In the US Pacific Northwest we had some nice weather (plus no moon for most of the night) last week so I drove out to a fairly dark sky site about 70 miles from where I live.  It was cold (but I was prepared for that) and I observed there (without any noise, lights or other disturbances) for about three and a half hours with my binoculars and telescope.  After I arrived there and got everything setup and began observing it didn't take long for me to put what was going on in society with the Corona virus emergency out of my mind and just enjoy a very peaceful and relaxing night of stargazing.  In any case I'm grateful to have a hobby that enables me to keep doing things that I enjoy doing even when what's going on in society or elsewhere in my life is very unsettling.

After I got everything packed up and started driving home I started thinking about Corona virus danger again and what challenges and dangers lie ahead both for myself, the city, state and country that I live in as well as the world as a whole.  After driving 25 miles on a rural road I got to a highway and then drove another 45 miles to get home and during that drive I did not pass one other car on the road and that's very unusual even when I'm driving in the hours between 1:00AM and 3:00AM in the morning. 

John Finnan

• Traveler, Pinac, jcj380 and 1 other like this

#10 WilliamK1974

WilliamK1974

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 29 March 2020 - 01:45 PM

Like several other members of this board, I work from home, though I've been doing that for a little over a year at this point. On the whole, it's a great thing.

During some of the quarantine trouble, I got my grandad's set of Bino-Luxe 10x50s out and ready to do one of those things that we enjoyed doing when I was younger, which was looking at objects in the night sky. Now, the weather has not been supportive of that up until a couple of days ago, but there's no harm in being prepared. Grandad's vision was never the best, and it took a downward turn around the time I turned 12, so he gave the bins to my mother, and I remember them hanging in their case on a hook on the back of the closet door in my bedroom. Grandad was always diligent to make sure that I would not drop the bins, and my mother said that I did not need to be handling them without adult supervision. That said, I couldn't help but be fascinated by the compass built into the top of their case. A couple of years ago, she passed the bins on to me, and said that Grandad would have wanted me to have them. While they don't appear to be in mint condition, they've never been dropped and the views through them are good. Their FoV is rather narrow and they are quite light compared to some other pairs I've used.

Having them sparked an interest in what other types of bins might be out there, so I got on SGW and bought a pair of 15x50 vintage Compass bins, and a pair of Tasco 16x50s that needed some attention. Once they resume shipping, I bought a couple of other pairs that might be candidates for fix and flip. And, out of curiosity, I grabbed a new pair of Tasco 15x50s on Amazon for around $35. It looks like Tasco may no longer be making that size. I did all this in order to save some wear and tear on Grandad's Bino-Luxes, though he would probably tell me just to go ahead and use them until they were no longer usable. But I wanted some that could travel in the car without worries of ruining an heirloom. The inexpensive Tascos, both the new pair and the old SGW pair, have been surprisingly good. The shadow and craters of the moon can be seen, along with the Seven Sisters and the Orion Nebula. 

• Mark9473 and SMark like this

#11 contrailmaker

contrailmaker

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 30 March 2020 - 01:09 AM

Had a great time last night with my Pentax PCF 20x60s and 12x50s from my balcony. Primary targets were the moon, Venus, Orion and some terrestrial. 

CM

#12 jcj380

jcj380

Surveyor 1

Posted 30 March 2020 - 09:23 AM

Short session this morning with my 10x50s just wandering through the Milky Way looking at star fields.

#13 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: America’s Heartland

Posted 30 March 2020 - 10:34 AM

And during the day, if you have a porch, deck, or balcony you can sit out and enjoy the view as well. There’s lots to see incl. birds, squirrels, airplanes, etc. One thing I’ve noticed is that there are a lot fewer airplanes!

• SMark and jcj380 like this

#14 jcj380

jcj380

Surveyor 1

Posted 30 March 2020 - 11:23 AM

Rotten weather lately, but songbirds, squirrels (Squiggy and Choptail), Canadian geese, Mallards, and one blue heron.  Haven't seen or heard a coyote for awhile, but they must still be around; rabbits are scarce and chipmunks nowhere to be seen.

• SMark and Terra Nova like this

#15 SMark

SMark

Skylab

• Loc: Atlanta, GA USA

Posted 30 March 2020 - 01:05 PM

Rotten weather lately, but songbirds, squirrels (Squiggy and Choptail), Canadian geese, Mallards, and one blue heron.  Haven't seen or heard a coyote for awhile, but they must still be around; rabbits are scarce and chipmunks nowhere to be seen.

We heard coyotes two nights ago, so I know they are around. I was out on my deck watching birds yesterday evening and had a bunny no more than 12 feet away from me eating away on the weeds. Didn't seem to care about me in the least. We also have many squirrels and chipmunks which, combined with all the songbirds we have, bring out the birds of prey. I'm always keeping an eye on the hawks, and we have a number of them as well. And at night we have a pair of owls that we routinely see. Never a dull moment around here...

• hallelujah and Terra Nova like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics