•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Too much gooey mud on this focuser!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jmillsbss

jmillsbss

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: New Albany, Mississippi, USA

Posted 26 March 2020 - 10:46 AM

Hey guys - So, I picked up the 120mm Meade Infinity frac back in December.  The 102mm @ f5.9 makes nice wide field views, and the views at medium and even high powers seem to hold together reasonably to very well for an entry level piece.  I've changed the mount to improve the balance and height at  near-zenith, (though I try not to spend too much time up there), upgraded the diagonal to a 1.25" dielectric mirror from Astro-Tech. (That one piece alone makes it a totally different scope!)  It removes the RACI function but I'm over it by now.  I also tried a RACI from Williams Optics but found the views are very much tighter with the AT mirror.  I'm watching out for a 5"-6" Mak-Cass (Synta?) and the 45 degree WO prism will be perfect for that...

The gripe I have is in the topic line of the post.  They've greased the focuser with some form of goo, a compound that's somewhere between Big League Chew bubble gum and tree sap mixed with horse snot!  If you reach for the focuser and miss the knob and find yourself bumping the focus tube, you get the aforementioned goo on your hand that gets transferred to your focuser knob, then to your face, then your jacket, then the eyepiece case and God only knows where else!

What can I do?  Disassemble the focuser and remove the concoction with some solvent like gasoline or ether?  Perhaps sand-blasting? (kidding) Then what do I want to use to re-grease the rack?  I feel like this is gonna get bad before it gets worse then maybe, just maybe, it gets better....

Thanks for the help!      J

• stevew and MarkGregory like this

#2 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 26 March 2020 - 11:33 AM

Here

#3 MarkGregory

MarkGregory

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Advance, North Carolina

Posted 26 March 2020 - 12:06 PM

Hey guys - So, I picked up the 120mm Meade Infinity frac back in December.  The 102mm @ f5.9 makes nice wide field views, and the views at medium and even high powers seem to hold together reasonably to very well for an entry level piece.  I've changed the mount to improve the balance and height at  near-zenith, (though I try not to spend too much time up there), upgraded the diagonal to a 1.25" dielectric mirror from Astro-Tech. (That one piece alone makes it a totally different scope!)  It removes the RACI function but I'm over it by now.  I also tried a RACI from Williams Optics but found the views are very much tighter with the AT mirror.  I'm watching out for a 5"-6" Mak-Cass (Synta?) and the 45 degree WO prism will be perfect for that...

The gripe I have is in the topic line of the post.  They've greased the focuser with some form of goo, a compound that's somewhere between Big League Chew bubble gum and tree sap mixed with horse snot!  If you reach for the focuser and miss the knob and find yourself bumping the focus tube, you get the aforementioned goo on your hand that gets transferred to your focuser knob, then to your face, then your jacket, then the eyepiece case and God only knows where else!

What can I do?  Disassemble the focuser and remove the concoction with some solvent like gasoline or ether?  Perhaps sand-blasting? (kidding) Then what do I want to use to re-grease the rack?  I feel like this is gonna get bad before it gets worse then maybe, just maybe, it gets better....

Thanks for the help!      J

Tree sap and horse snot. Now, that’s a heck of a description.  

• jmillsbss likes this

#4 jmillsbss

jmillsbss

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 26 March 2020 - 12:10 PM

Southern climate.  Gets hot here June-September.  Want to use something that's stable.  However, the scope's in the house most of the time and the nights are generally cooler.  What about the removal of whatever this is they've got on it now?

• MarkGregory likes this

#5 jmillsbss

jmillsbss

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 26 March 2020 - 02:08 PM

Tree sap and horse snot. Now, that’s a heck of a description.  

Yeah, I ran out of creative descriptors.  It's just that bad.

• MarkGregory likes this

#6 MarkGregory

MarkGregory

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Advance, North Carolina

Posted 26 March 2020 - 02:31 PM

Yeah, I ran out of creative descriptors.  It's just that bad.

Well, you made me laugh out loud.  I love when that happens  because it doesn’t happen that often.

#7 Kim K

Kim K

Vostok 1

• Loc: Eastern NM

Posted 26 March 2020 - 02:39 PM

You can certainly disassemble the focuser and and remove the factory stuff, but being thick (per your humorous description) it serves to take up mechanical slop in the mechanism.  Save as much as you can as it may come in handy later.

Kim

• m9x18 and mtminnesota like this

#8 Esso2112

Esso2112

Apollo

• Loc: Magnolia, TX

Posted 26 March 2020 - 03:07 PM

I’ve had good success with Goo B Gone to remove old grease. 

• MarkGregory likes this

#9 Berny

Berny

Ranger 4

Posted 26 March 2020 - 03:32 PM

I ran across something very similar to that in a tool-crib at Douglas Aircraft in the late 70's. It was labeled anti backlash grease.

• m9x18 likes this

#10 SteveG

SteveG

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 26 March 2020 - 04:07 PM

Southern climate.  Gets hot here June-September.  Want to use something that's stable.  However, the scope's in the house most of the time and the nights are generally cooler.  What about the removal of whatever this is they've got on it now?

You can use any solvent that will work. I usually use paint thinner, or lacquer thinner.

For the grease, regular automotive wheel bearing grease.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics