•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Balance Issue

astrophotography beginner
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Specialk8900

Specialk8900

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 March 2020 - 11:13 AM

No time like the present to truly learn your gear right 😂 I am going page by page trying to finally set my scope up in the hope that I can finally capture an image with my gear I’ve acquired over the past Few years. I can balance my scope in R.A. But no matter how much I move my scope in the Dec. axis it never balances. 

Any advice for a solution? 

#2 DLuders

DLuders

Gemini

• Loc: Spokane, WA

Posted 26 March 2020 - 11:15 AM

What telescope and mount do you have?  

#3 kathyastro

kathyastro

Apollo

• Loc: Nova Scotia

Posted 26 March 2020 - 11:26 AM

Balancing in declination is a two-stage operation, because it needs to be balanced in two dimensions.  First, balance lengthwise.  You do this by moving the OTA forward or back in its rings or moving the dovetail forward or back in the saddle while the scope is horizontal. 

Second, balance it laterally.  Point it at the pole (home position).  Now rotate it in the rings until it doesn't fall off to one side or the other.  You can probably guess which accessories are causing the imbalance, so you are rotating the OTA to put those accessories near the centreline.

In the case of a Newtonian, lateral balancing ends up with the focuser pointing either up or down.  Up is the easier direction, since there are no obstructions, but it puts the camera load a long distance from the RA axis, requiring more counterweights.  Down is easier on the hardware, but you have to be careful to avoid the camera striking the mount.  (This is especially difficult on a centre-balanced mount like the CEM60.)

Finally, after doing both the lengthwise and the lateral dec balance, do the RA balance.  You do this last, since the dec balance will affect the amount or position of of counterweights.

• klaussius likes this

#4 Madratter

Madratter

Voyager 1

Posted 26 March 2020 - 11:29 AM

No time like the present to truly learn your gear right I am going page by page trying to finally set my scope up in the hope that I can finally capture an image with my gear I’ve acquired over the past Few years. I can balance my scope in R.A. But no matter how much I move my scope in the Dec. axis it never balances. 

Any advice for a solution? 

Hard to say what is going on without more explanation and a picture of your equipment. But it is not uncommon to have a situation where you can't slide the plate on the telescope forward or backward enough to balance. I have that situation with my AT8RC. I use a set of these to balance in Dec (and obviously you will need to rebalance RA).

https://www.admacces...ghts-dv-series/

You would need to make sure you buy the type appropriate to your plate. Also, you will need to be sure your plate is long enough in the direction the counterbalance is needed for them to attach.

If you want a real cheap solution, you can tape large bolts or nuts to your telescope. Be aware you might ruin your finish if you aren't careful about the kind of tape.

#5 OhmEye

OhmEye

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Western NY Southern Tier

Posted 26 March 2020 - 11:51 AM

As others have said, it's hard to advise without knowing the scope/mount and seeing how it's configured. My scope is very front heavy, having a lot of glass at that end. I counter that by moving the guidescope as far back as I can. Fortunately (or not!) I have a heavy guidescope, otherwise I would probably have to add dead weight.

TS130 Rig

#6 Der_Pit

Der_Pit

Apollo

• Loc: La Palma

Posted 26 March 2020 - 11:52 AM

Full ACK to what you write, just the addition that 

Second, balance it laterally.  Point it at the pole (home position).  Now rotate it in the rings until it doesn't fall off to one side or the other.  You can probably guess which accessories are causing the imbalance, so you are rotating the OTA to put those accessories near the centreline.

I usually do this with CWB horizontal and scope pointing at zenith.

• kathyastro likes this

#7 bjulihn

bjulihn

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Langley, BC. Canada

Posted 26 March 2020 - 12:12 PM

I'd like to jump in because I have a similar problem!

I have an ES80 CF (carbon fiber tube). I have a ZWO EAF focuser mounted on the left side and the guide scope foot is also to the left side. The scope comes with a mounting foot not rings so it can't be rotated to balance in DEC. The diameter of the tube is 96mm according to specs online. I have tried several different sets of mounting rings to mount the guide scope on the other side. This includes the Stellarvue 90mm rings which are technically 94mm. NO JOY! I do not think I should use the "finder" type of rings with adjustment screws because of the carbon fiber tube.

I am looking for some suggestions on rings to try or other solutions. 

P.S. Parallax makes a 95mm set of rings. I have not tried them yet.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2020-Heron-0001.JPG

#8 Der_Pit

Der_Pit

Apollo

• Loc: La Palma

Posted 26 March 2020 - 12:30 PM

You can also always add weight to compensate.  Has to be on the other side, both left-right and front-back, of course.  It's what I did.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, beginner

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics