•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

.965 UHC

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bbaumbach

bbaumbach

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: Wylie, TX

Posted 26 March 2020 - 11:41 AM

For a long time, I have been lusting for an UHC filter for my older 60mm refactors. I don't think I have ever seen one of these.

Isn't there a way to re-cut a 1.25 filter to the smaller size?

This maybe a dumb idea.... using a hand grinder with a fine drum with a water stream. I have an older 1.25 UHC filter I can sacrifice, could this work, or is there a smarter way?

#2 BradFran

BradFran

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Mars

Posted 26 March 2020 - 11:52 AM

You can try putting the filter in between your eye and the eyepiece like a DioptRx. Try finding a rubber ring to go around the threads and prevent scratches.

If you have a 1.25" focuser, you can find a .965" to 1.25" adapter that accepts filters. I used to have one, forgot where I got it. I no longer have any .965" or the adapter. Some old refractors have a threaded draw tube with a screw on .965" end piece. This can be switched (in some cases) with a 1.25" screw on back piece. I did this to my 80mm Monolux years ago and was much happier.

#3 Will_S

Will_S

Vostok 1

• Loc: Santa Cruz, CA

Posted 26 March 2020 - 08:17 PM

I'm pretty sure Orion used to sell 0.965" Ultrablock filters. Also, no affiliation and I'm not vouching for their quality, but:

https://www.ebay.com...u4AAOSwnVBdJeR2

https://www.ebay.com...yQAAOSw1mZdxwGQ

#4 bbaumbach

bbaumbach

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: Wylie, TX

Posted 26 March 2020 - 08:26 PM

I'm pretty sure Orion used to sell 0.965" Ultrablock filters. Also, no affiliation and I'm not vouching for their quality, but:

Will,

I did buy these, they are 'LPR', broadband (like a CLS). I am still tying to figure out, if I will be able to cut a larger UHC.

Thanks

#5 telesonic

telesonic

Ranger 4

• Loc: SW Idaho - USA

Posted 26 March 2020 - 08:27 PM

There is a smarter / easier way.... wink.gif

Will S's first link there, yep. BTW, that seller (starswizard) is Mr. Fred Pauli, who used to own Wholesale Optics but is now semi-retired. His website is astroptx.com and he's got a bunch of new old stock stuff,  plus he's a great guy. Bought quite a bit from him, and all of it is quality ..... even have that same filter in .965. 

(EDIT)

Well.... disregard some of that.. I posted that just as your comment came in. I see you are looking for a narrower notch instead of "broadband."

If your focusers on your scopes can accept 1.25" Baader makes a 1.25 to .965 adapter that is threaded for filters. Then just buy a 1.25 Ultrablock / etc. I believe Agena Astro carries these adapters.

But, you might ask a glass shop.... they might be able to cut a 1.25 down to fit in the .965 filter cell. One thing though, I'm not sure if it would get scratched or damaged somehow in the process.

Edited by telesonic, 26 March 2020 - 08:36 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics