•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Any photoshop tips for turning magenta’s/purples into nice deeper reds?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 adamphillips

adamphillips

Messenger

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 26 March 2020 - 12:21 PM

I’m pretty proficient at photoshop but my rgb pics always end up very magenta instead of red inside the cores of galaxies and things where I would really like nice bright reds. Sometimes Ill manage to turn them into nice yellows and oranges. but I definitely have a need to be able to get reds.
I always figured there should be an easy way but I’ve tried everything. The obvious one would be to take magenta’s one selective color and pull down the cyan and magenta. That doesn’t take it as far as I need.
Hopefully somebody has something. I know most of you are in pixinsight these days.

#2 Acer

Acer

Viking 1

• Loc: Loveland, CO

Posted 26 March 2020 - 12:26 PM

"Selective Color" tool (bottom middle/right tool in the adjustments tab), is the most used tool for getting the right colors in Photoshop.

It's a powerful tool and one I use on every image, especially useful for narrow band imaging.

"Before Selective Color"

49649481638_224148faef_c.jpgSHO Before Editing by Colo CJ, on Flickr

"After Selective Color"

49649449228_c35f7b4640_c.jpgRosette 3 Hours (S)HO small by Colo CJ, on Flickr

Edited by Acer, 26 March 2020 - 12:28 PM.

• garret and Kaos like this

#3 Acer

Acer

Viking 1

• Loc: Loveland, CO

Posted 26 March 2020 - 12:30 PM

If Selective Color isn't going far enough, you can always use additional Selective Color to bring it out more.  I sometimes use it 2-3 times on an image.

You can also use the "Curves" tool to selectively bring out more of one channel (red, green, blue) 

#4 BKMaynard

BKMaynard

Ranger 4

• Loc: Dupo, Il. (st.louis area)

Posted 26 March 2020 - 12:34 PM

Magenta usually comes from a lack of green. This can be a little tricky to handle since you don't want too much green in the whole image but some careful selection and feathering  on target areas and a little green boost helps 

Edited by BKMaynard, 26 March 2020 - 12:35 PM.

#5 schmeah

schmeah

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Morristown, NJ

Posted 26 March 2020 - 12:46 PM

Upload an example so we can give it a shot.

Derek

#6 RandallK

RandallK

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Nanaimo, B. C. Canada

Posted 26 March 2020 - 12:50 PM

Yep...Selective Colour.....does a great job.

#7 adamphillips

adamphillips

Messenger

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 26 March 2020 - 01:42 PM

I’ll try to get an example for you guys later Although a little 500kb jpeg might not be a great example.

#8 adamphillips

adamphillips

Messenger

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 26 March 2020 - 05:51 PM

here is one, I didn't think of this image at first but this will serve as a great example.

this one is actually kind of cool with the purple/pink but its obviously not red like usual.

I processed this one years ago before I even knew about selective color so I might even have better luck with it now. but id love to see what you guys come up with on this one.

Orion nebula M42 WM.jpg

#9 WadeH237

WadeH237

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 26 March 2020 - 09:21 PM

That image looks really, really blue to my eye.

I would suggest using Curves to pull the blue back just a bit.  It would be quick to experiment with Curves.  Set it up for the blue channel and then pull the middle of the line down just a bit to see what happens.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics