•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Fujinon 7X50, 7.1 degree.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Yarddog

Yarddog

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 March 2020 - 08:14 PM

I  stopped by a place this afternoon in DeFuniak Springs.

I looked at his binoculars. He had one WWII B&L 6X30 for $40. Intriguing but it had a chip in a prism so I forgot that one. The other one was one of the various high end ones they sell.  I had just glanced at it once before but this time looked it over.

I could see no damage to the glass at all. Even dirty, you could tell it was good.

Now the bad news.

the screw or whatever holds the center cover which usually gives some info was missing. I could be wrong but I don't think it is important.

Looking through the objectives I could see one tiny piece of trash. It could have been maybe 1mm by 3mm, I am certain it would have minimal harm to the view. It was dirty but looked like it could be easily cleaned.

Now the odd thing, I have owned several similar models and I think they had green lens coating but this one was really really green. The covering was the typical ribbed rubber. It was dirty but looked undamaged.

At $135 with no bargaining I decided to pass but it could be a real bargain for someone willing to clean etc. it, especially if he could bargain down the price.

Edited by Yarddog, 26 March 2020 - 08:22 PM.

• Foss likes this

#2 Cali

Cali

Apollo

• Loc: Bay Area

Posted 26 March 2020 - 09:56 PM

Isn't DeFuniak Springs the best small town in Florida?

Buy yourself a pair of these, pal.

You'll never look back.

- Cal  

#3 Crusty99

Crusty99

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 26 March 2020 - 10:12 PM

The topic reads: "Fujinon 7x50, 7.1 degree"

If this is the binocular you are looking to purchase, Fujinon 7x50 FMTR-SX Polaris Binocular you have selected an excellent prism binocular for your goal.

However, they are not cheap. 

But the FMTR-SX Polaris models (7x50, 10x50, 10x70, 15x70) will probably outlast you and your next generation or two.

flowerred.gif

#4 harbinjer

harbinjer

Messenger

• Loc: Southeastern Minnesota

Posted 26 March 2020 - 11:53 PM

If the screw cover was missing, it might've said Kama-tech on it. It was a military version, with a laser protective filter. That's my guess. Whether it was worth $135, I don't know. I've seen a few online, but never quite cheap enough to get one. 

• Foss likes this

#5 Foss

Foss

Viking 1

Posted 27 March 2020 - 12:11 AM

$135 for a Fujinon M-22 that needs work doesn't seem like much of a bargain (unless FMTR-SX or FMT-SX possibly) so passing it up sounds like the right thing to do.

• SMark likes this

#6 Yarddog

Yarddog

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 March 2020 - 07:54 AM

Isn't DeFuniak Springs the best small town in Florida?

Buy yourself a pair of these, pal.

You'll never look back.

- Cal  

I was born and reared in Walton County, Florida. My ancestors have been there since at least the 1700s. DeFuniak Springs really is a pleasant little town. The old Chautauqua building was still complete when I was a kid. Unfortunately most of it was destroyed in a hurricane, maybe in the late 60s.

• Cali likes this

#7 Yarddog

Yarddog

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 March 2020 - 07:57 AM

$135 for a Fujinon M-22 that needs work doesn't seem like much of a bargain (unless FMTR-SX or FMT-SX possibly) so passing it up sounds like the right thing to do.

I once had an M-22 new in the box. I got it at a surplus dealer outside Ft. Stuart, GA. It was a nice binocular with laser shield but it was not the same as this one. It appears to be the same as the SX models but which one I do not know.

#8 Foss

Foss

Viking 1

Posted 27 March 2020 - 10:43 AM

Crazy how Fujinon over the years has been so lax about badging. Good example is the early FMTR-SX. If you didn't know to look for the yellow trim rings...

#9 SMark

SMark

Skylab

• Loc: Atlanta, GA USA

Posted 27 March 2020 - 11:02 AM

It's probably an old Fujinon Nautilus. I had one that I picked up used for $59 awhile back. I liked it...

https://www.opticspl...ars-7x50ar.html

Edit:

Here's an old thread...

https://www.cloudyni...ro-suitability/

Edited by SMark, 27 March 2020 - 11:05 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics