•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mercury with surface features, 17th March

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 acasely

acasely

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 March 2020 - 08:37 PM

Hi everyone, my first post on Cloudy Nights, probably about time I joined up here! I hope everyone is well, these are odd times indeed around the world, but planetary imaging gets to continue unabated. I'll try and pop in to post a few images and discuss things planetary, looks like there's some brilliant observers and discussions here.

Mercury with surface features:
So this image has been on the bucket list for a while, and the seeing was good enough one morning last week to get more than the usual choppy fuzz from Mercury. I've never seen surface features on Mercury before, but several showed up here in my IR image (left), compared to a planetarium view (right). The dark-ringed, bright centred basin Tolstoy is near the limb, and bright areas, Nureyev (crater), Qi Baishi (basin rim) and Caloris Planitia are all discernible. Mercury was 27deg altitude at the time, just about sunrise. And I'm not sure when I'll be this lucky again!

Attached Thumbnails

• 2020_03_17-ac-Mercury_v3.png

• Ptarmigan, zjc26138, Sunspot and 30 others like this

#2 sunnyday

sunnyday

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Ottawa,Canada

Posted 26 March 2020 - 08:44 PM

very impressive the view of this photo. the detail is breathtaking.
thank you.

ps welcome to CN

Edited by sunnyday, 26 March 2020 - 08:47 PM.

#3 Foc

Foc

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: South Canberra

Posted 26 March 2020 - 08:45 PM

Welcome to cloudy nights smile.gif .  Great capture of Mercury!

• sunnyday likes this

#4 terrypaula

terrypaula

Vostok 1

Posted 26 March 2020 - 09:03 PM

Wow you can almost see my condo...

Great image, I don't think I've ever seen surface elements on Mercury.

Good work!

#5 RalphMeisterTigerMan

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Apollo

Posted 26 March 2020 - 09:07 PM

Very, nice! Astronomers from the late 1800's observing Mercury visually with "large" refractors would have "killed" for such a view, These guys went to great lengths to get just the right visual image. Again, very nice and congrats!!!

Good luck and clear skies!

RalphMeisterTigerMan

• jim kuhns likes this

#6 Tulloch

Tulloch

Viking 1

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 26 March 2020 - 09:41 PM

Nice one, and welcome to CN (it's a much wider audience than IIS smile.gif ).

Your Mars, Jupiter and Saturn from the same night would also look good here.

Andrew

#7 R Botero

R Botero

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 27 March 2020 - 05:50 AM

Fantastic image Andy - what an entrance! :bow:

Roberto

#8 John Boudreau

John Boudreau

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Boston Area, MA

Posted 27 March 2020 - 07:28 AM

Certainly a very fine Mercury image and a great 1st post Andy--- Welcome to CN !

Your C14 appears to have been *just* a wee bit out of collimation as the limb diffraction is slightly smeared to the left, so I think your setup has a bit more potential. So I'd hope to see more Mercury results from you!

What near-IR filter were you using?

#9 acasely

acasely

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 March 2020 - 10:07 PM

Thanks very much everyone!

Certainly a very fine Mercury image and a great 1st post Andy--- Welcome to CN !

Your C14 appears to have been *just* a wee bit out of collimation as the limb diffraction is slightly smeared to the left, so I think your setup has a bit more potential. So I'd hope to see more Mercury results from you!

What near-IR filter were you using?

Hi John, thanks for the feedback - this I need grin.gif. I have to set my C14 up each time I use it (no observatory), so miscollimations will happen - especially if I'm in a hurry or just lazy at 4:30am. Always happy to know I could get even more out of it all. It was the Astronomik 642nm IR filter.

The Mercury animation in your sig is exceptional - do you have a link to when you made that, and any info about how you took the shots?

#10 acasely

acasely

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 March 2020 - 10:13 PM

I plotted the features onto a map with WinJupos and compared that with the Messenger maps - the result is (hopefully) below. More features than I realised were there, the map lines up not too badly. There's a cleaner version of the animation at this link

Attached Thumbnails

• Mercury-map-anim-ac_cn.gif

• sfugardi, R Botero, DMach and 1 other like this

#11 Tom Glenn

Tom Glenn

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 28 March 2020 - 10:48 PM

Great image, and very nice map projection and animation.  Welcome to CN!

#12 John Boudreau

John Boudreau

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Boston Area, MA

Posted 29 March 2020 - 11:18 AM

Thanks very much everyone!

Hi John, thanks for the feedback - this I need grin.gif. I have to set my C14 up each time I use it (no observatory), so miscollimations will happen - especially if I'm in a hurry or just lazy at 4:30am. Always happy to know I could get even more out of it all. It was the Astronomik 642nm IR filter.

The Mercury animation in your sig is exceptional - do you have a link to when you made that, and any info about how you took the shots?

I used to check my C11's collimation in daylight on a star using a red filter on the camera while watching the live video feed. For morning imaging I'd sometimes check it while it was still dark and I could easily pick out a star in the same general area that I planned to shoot Mercury in a few hours. For late afternoon I always did the daylight camera routine. Fortunately my DK's collimation only has to be checked every few months, but I haven't done much Mercury imaging in recent years. I don't have go-to, so have to use setting circles and visual in daylight. That was much easier with the C11, but very difficult with my DK as it's native FL is 6630mm! 

The Astronomik 642 is a fine choice as it's a near-IR 200nm-wide bandpass that probably doesn't need use of an ADC in most cases. I bought one a couple of years ago for that very reason but haven't used it for Mercury yet. lol.gif

Thanks for the kudos on the time-lapse. That was done back in October-early November of 2008 under a long stretch of exceptional weather. Here's a link to the CN post back then: 

https://www.cloudyni...ern-elongation/

• acasely likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics