•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Processing MANUAL or WBPP (pixinsight)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Calzunen

Calzunen

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 March 2020 - 09:24 PM

How do you preprocess your images? Do you do it manually or do you use Wbpp script?

I use mono with filters and I havent found any good manual preprocessing videos... For me manual seems better but WBPP makes things sooooo much faster...

Does anyone know any videos that shows manual monochrome preprocessing?

#2 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Soyuz

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 26 March 2020 - 09:32 PM

Good topic / question Calzunen...  I use WBPP the current release.  I did see a post from Juan (PI) that the new WBPP script deviated from the the recommended workflow.  You may want to post this on the PI Forum too.  I am going to hang around and watch the posts.

Edited by Jim Waters, 26 March 2020 - 09:33 PM.

• Calzunen likes this

#3 jerahian

jerahian

Viking 1

• Loc: Maine

Posted 26 March 2020 - 09:43 PM

How do you preprocess your images? Do you do it manually or do you use Wbpp script?

I use mono with filters and I havent found any good manual preprocessing videos... For me manual seems better but WBPP makes things sooooo much faster...

Does anyone know any videos that shows manual monochrome preprocessing?

I know you are asking for videos, but I will say that Warren Keller's Inside PixInsight book does go through the common manual monochrome preprocessing workflow quite extensively.  It's a great reference guide from which you can then test deviations of settings to your liking.

That said, I used to do the manual workflow quite religiously early on, because I wanted to understand what was going on instead of have it be this mysterious batch script.  Now though, with the newer WBPP and the fact, as you say, it's so much faster, I only really use WBPP.

• Calzunen likes this

#4 Cfreerksen

Cfreerksen

Apollo

• Loc: Tooele, Ut

Posted 26 March 2020 - 09:44 PM

I use WBPP script. I have had good results. I am sure the more serious/refined folks do a manual processing of their images. Right now at my level of processing I doubt it is my limiting factor in the final quality of my images.

Chris

#5 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Cosmos

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 26 March 2020 - 10:14 PM

I do not know if it is still true, with WBPP, but it was with regular batch preprocessing as recently as ten months or so ago.....

Any mathematical process that happens in the batch scripts are precisely the same as they are in the script as in manual ( taking them one by one as individual processes). However, you have more choices, and more flexibility using the separate processes. 

Therefore, if you are using the basic individual processes with little or no adjustment from one data set to another, you might as well use the batch scripts. If, however, you are fussing every detail of the individual processes, you may be able to squeeze a bit more out of a dataset when doing the individual processes. However, few of us are gifted enough to get more out of the overall package than the batch scripts can do. 

Alex

#6 Madratter

Madratter

Voyager 1

Posted 27 March 2020 - 07:13 AM

I generally use WBPP with the following caveats:

1) I use a SBIG camera with TheSkyX/Voyager combination. I need to remove the PEDESTAL keyword to get good results. I use a script to do this before doing WBPP.

2) I do have data sets that don't completely align using WBPP. In those cases, I have to manually do registration if I want to use whatever subs failed.

3) Probably more often than not, I manually redo the integration step. As per the warning, I frequently find I can get better results if I tweak this step. For example the WBPP script does not give access to the Large-Scale Pixel Rejection parameters that can be a great help in getting rid of airplane and satellite trails. I also find I want to fiddle with the pixel rejection parameters fairly frequently to optimize my result.

Still, even with those caveats, it takes enough of the tedium out of things that I find it worthwhile. And it is useful to have the final integrated stack from WBPP even if I don't use it, because I then have that as a comparison to try and do better.

#7 Jii

Jii

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pirkkala, Finland

Posted 27 March 2020 - 08:34 AM

I'm also using WBPP with good results and I doubt that I would ever have patience to process LRGB data manually. smile.gif The only issue I have with WBPP is unfortunately with Subframe Weighting itself; I had to turn it off as it crashed PI (or Linux killed it) when processing large amount of frames. It could be issue with memory amount, though I had 24GB available and also tried to tune script to use less memory.

+1 for Warren Keller's Inside PixInsight, it has been real saver with LRGB processing.

• Calzunen likes this

#8 Salacious B Crumb

Salacious B Crumb

Viking 1

• Loc: Greater Atlanta Area, GA

Posted 27 March 2020 - 08:36 AM

I haven't done any manual preprocessing after the new WBPP came available. I think it does an excellent job and visually I don't see any differences between WBPP and manual preprocessing. Plus I like the fact that I can start the process in the morning and my underachieving laptop has masters ready when I come home in the evening.

- Mikko

• Jii, Becomart and jerahian like this

#9 terry59

terry59

Cosmos

• Loc: Colorado, USA

Posted 27 March 2020 - 09:30 AM

I create my masters manually....there are many advantages to doing so as each of the masters is optimized based on the manually selected settings for each one. Take a look at this free tutorial. Beyond that I recommend Adam Block's tutorials but they are not free

https://www.lightvor.../tutorials.html

Edited by terry59, 27 March 2020 - 11:34 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics