•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Comet Atlas C/2019-Y4 on March 25th

astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 thebutcher

thebutcher

Sputnik

• topic starter
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Posted 26 March 2020 - 10:17 PM

I took some more imaging of Comet Atlas.

I took it with my R8" at F5.6 again with Astro Physics Telecompressor ASTccd67  @ (.69x). I am short 7mm to make it .67x. I used SGPro then DSS in comet mode. From there I took two stacks from comet mode. Option 1 and Option 2. Option 1 makes the stars stationary and leaves a light blob where the comit traveled. And Option 2 Isolates the comet and makes the Stars trail. "And trail they do" and a pain in a but to clean! But I was able to clean up the star trails in PScc and leave the comet in tact with a dark neutral backround.I also used Gradient Exterminator Plugin for PScc,  I used "Dust & Scratches" to remove as much of the trails near the comet.  

I then Merged the two layers together and put them in Screen Mode and came up with the final Image. I then tweaked that a little bit. I plan on taking at least 1 set of images of the comet when I get a chance to go out and gona do something cool at the end and hopefully this comet will put on a show later with its tail. When you go to the larger Zoomed in Image you can see the core and the tail emerging. Well at least I think? smile.gif

Thx for looking

Astro-Tech RC 8" with APTccd67 (.69x) F5.6
ZWO 1600mm Pro
Astronomik Deep SKy RGB
ZWO EFW 8 pos
Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro
Orion Mini Guider 50mm with Regular ZWO 290mm

R 50 x 60sec 200 Gain
G 50 x 40 sec 150 Gain
B 50 x 40 sec 150 Gain
Flats & Darks only 75 each

Comet-Atlas-Y4-March-25th-Astronebula-SM

• Carol L, zjc26138, RNSpeed and 17 others like this

#2 DSOs4Me

DSOs4Me

Ranger 4

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 26 March 2020 - 11:23 PM

Very Cool!

• thebutcher likes this

#3 Sleep Deprived

Sleep Deprived

Mariner 2

• Loc: Seattle Area

Posted 27 March 2020 - 12:12 AM

Thanks for sharing.  You went the extra mile by separating stars from comet, and re-combining to eliminate trails - it paid off.  It's a great shot!!

• thebutcher likes this

#4 thebutcher

thebutcher

Sputnik

• topic starter
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Posted 27 March 2020 - 10:38 AM

Thanks for sharing.  You went the extra mile by separating stars from comet, and re-combining to eliminate trails - it paid off.  It's a great shot!!

Thanks guys and if anyone is interested on the options in DSS and the separation I posted some images below. 

(In DSS comet mode) Comet with option 2 no color adjustment and not much stretching

combined-no-color-adjustment-SM.jpg

(In DSS comet mode) with some color adjustments and balancing with Option 2

combined3-SM.jpg

Comet with (In DSS comet mode) Stretched and color adjusted & balancing

both-options-with-color-corection.jpg

Comet (DSS comet mode) with Option 1checked "Star freeze"It just concentrates on the Star backround and the comet turns out to be a blurred image that is pretty faint compared to the above

Star-freeze-option1-unstretched-combined

Here is Option 1 (in DSS comet mode) with some stretching. This gives you the backround stars and you can see the comet blurred. Epecialy when zoomed.

Option-1-stretched-a-bit-scaled.jpg

Edited by thebutcher, 27 March 2020 - 10:40 AM.

• zjc26138 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics