•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Vernonscope Silver Coated 1/20th Wave Diagonal

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 RalphMeisterTigerMan

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 26 March 2020 - 10:44 PM

Has anyone ever had the opportunity to look through an exclusive Vernonscope Silver Coated, 1/20th Wave or better, star diagonal? Either the 2" model or the 1.25" model.

If you have, what is your opinion? I know that these star diagonals are priced in the "stratosphere" and am wondering what makes them so special? Are they really better than a high-quality dielectric coated diagonal, ie; the Astrophysics or Televue or Baader, etc.etc.

Is the combination of polishing the substrate to "1/20" or better" and a protected layer of Silver going to make that much of a difference visually?

So, if you have had the "honour" of viewing thru one of these Uber expensive star diagonals, then please let me know your impressions. Are they really that good and that much better than the "cutting edge" dielectric star diagonals?

Awaiting your replies with anticipation. 

Clear skies!

RalphMeisterTigerMan

• Jim Waters, Tyson M and B 26354 like this

#2 payner

payner

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Bluegrass & Cumberland Valley Regions, Kentucky

Posted 27 March 2020 - 08:48 AM

While you placed this question in the appropriate forum (imo), I believe you'll get replies, and more of them, in the eyepiece forum. That is where I see diagonals discussed.

#3 greenjuice

greenjuice

Viking 1

• Loc: NW CT.

Posted 27 March 2020 - 09:14 PM

I love my Brandon eyepieces and I think we are all understandably curious about the legendary diagonal. But you are right, they are priced in the stratosphere. Before I would consider plunking down that kind of cash I would simply dispense with the diagonal, grab an extension tube and observe sans diagonal, stiff neck style. wink.gif

• B 26354 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics