•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron C5+, How Many Left That Are Complete In Usable Condition?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 RalphMeisterTigerMan

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 26 March 2020 - 11:30 PM

Since getting my Celestron C5+ and using it when-ever possible, I have been doing alot of online reasearch of this particular Telescope and of Celestron, the company. And then I got to thinking, "I wonder how many of the 1992-1999 white tubed C5+ with the 9-volt power capable drive systems are still in use World-wide".

First, let me tell you a little about mine. It is complete system with OTA with visual back, original front lens cap (corrector plate cap), original light/dew shield, single-fork equatorial on the original wedge with deluxe latitude adjuster, dec motor with hand-controller, 8 X 50 Meade finder with adapter to mount onto the tube. The system can be used as table-top with a built in level and two leveler adjusters on the rear of the table-top system.

It also came with a medium duty, adjustable aluminum tripod and adapter for the table-top system with three screws to attach to the tripod.

I have been able to use it several times, when the weather allowed it, and have viewed M13, several phases of the Moon, and Jupiter and Saturn. I have a William optics dura-bright dielectric 1.25" diagonal and a Televue 1.25" 24mm Panoptic (52X approx.). Even with the scope inside the living room looking out, with the glass sliding door open and cold outside and warm inside, I could get some pretty good views during moments of steady seeing.

So, I would like to know many amateurs out there have a working C5+ SCT telescope that they use, hopefully, on a regular basis. This is NOT limited to North America, so where-ever you live, please let me know.

Thank-you and clear skies!

RalphMeisterTigerMan

#2 Cometeer

Cometeer

Vanguard

• Loc: SF Bay Area, California or Illinois

Posted 26 March 2020 - 11:52 PM

There was one fully outfitted up until it came into my hands two years ago. Then away went the tripod, table top wedge, fork mount, case, hand controller, and eyepieces. All that remains is the OTA and the tiny original finder. 

#3 gfstallin

gfstallin

Apollo

• Loc: Cheverly, Maryland USA

Posted 27 March 2020 - 12:05 AM

I've seen a few come up from time to time in the last couple years and almost pulled the trigger once. I actually owned one in college - perhaps one of the worst times to own a telescope in one's life (no car, dorm life, beer). The instability of college life was only bested by an early career characterized by a lot of time abroad (immediately post 9/11) and then sporadically abroad for a decade afterwards. My stuff spent a lot of time storage. I sold that C5+, a telescope I day-dreamed about throughout much of the 1990s, in early 2002 just before college graduation. At that point in my life, I could only keep the things I could carry in a couple trips, and that beautiful (probably unused by anyone but me) C5+ in its hard case was sold to someone else in Vermont. I knew it was a mistake at the time, but I was left with little choice. 

Flash forward to a couple years ago, a handful of telescopes, and a new career characterized by safe (boring), extreme stability, I did start looking for a C5+ again. It was purely for nostalgia, bringing me back to my years sitting in the local library as a young teen looking at the print ads in Sky & Telescope and Astronomy (good on my public library in suburban Philadelphia for carrying both). I definitely found a few for sale, and one unexpectedly came up on my local Craigslist in what looked like great condition. I decided against buying it - at that point I had too much equipment. However, the relative availability of the C5+ suggested 1. There are still plenty of them out there for folks looking for one 2. There are owners who are willing to part with them for a variety of reasons, though the availability of the equally portable (though much less handsome) 5SE and the C6 probably puts downward pressure on demand for the C5+ 

I don't know how many Celestron ever produced, but again, these come up often enough to suggest they weren't rare birds like those Intes MK63s in the early 1990s, another telescope of dreams. Of course, reviews like these don't help: 

https://www.cloudyni...-another-scope/

George

Edited by gfstallin, 27 March 2020 - 12:08 AM.

#4 epee

epee

Soyuz

• Loc: Suh-van-nuh, Jaw-juh

Posted 27 March 2020 - 09:30 AM

My C5+ came with the tripod, wedge and fork mount. It was missing the piggyback rail and the hand controller, and the 6x30mm finder had a broken reticle thread.. The clockdrive still works but the switch is a bit iffy and needs some work.

I currently have a red-dot finder on it and it's mounted on an iOptron Cube-Pro, which seems pares with the C5 like Merlot with Filet Mignon. I'm not doing guided photography and so the Cube-Pro, remounted on the C5+ tripod, offers both a far lighter weight tracking package, plus Go-To.

Right now I'm wishing it was a C8, as that would offer a better fill in capability between my 100mm refractors and my 12" dob. However, a C8 would require a heavier mount as well and the weather and work are not allowing, nor have allowed, me to get much use from any telescope. frown.gif

Edited by epee, 27 March 2020 - 09:31 AM.

#5 Classic8

Classic8

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Naperville, IL, USA

Posted 27 March 2020 - 09:50 AM

As I mentioned in a different thread, I just got a C5+. It doesn't have the declination drive or controller, just the RA drive, running on a battery. I just got it so only used it twice, partly due to weather cloudy.gif coldday.gif  - but I'm using a 4" mak or a 60mm H-alpha scope instead on the mount right now. It's a bit heavier than I had guessed it would be (with scope on it) but it's a neat little package, I must say. I can still carry the whole thing out the door in one piece which is nice.

Edited by Classic8, 27 March 2020 - 09:52 AM.

• gfstallin likes this

#6 Old Man

Old Man

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Indiana

Posted 27 March 2020 - 02:10 PM

I still have mine, a complete setup from 1996, still works great and with fantastic optics. Only added the dec. drive from JMI that works with the regular hand controller.

I have all the items, including the original metal dew shield and metal dust cap, only missing the original counter poise weight set. I am still hunting for those, if the companies that are currently closed will reopen, I have the measurements and will get a set made as they hardly ever come up for sale bawling.gif .

I will never sell it, when my time comes it will probably return from whence it came, recycled back into Mother Earth.

#7 Classic8

Classic8

Apollo

• -----

Posted 27 March 2020 - 03:57 PM

Does anyone know how much weight the C5+ mount can realistically handle?

#8 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

• Loc: British Columbia Canada

Posted 27 March 2020 - 08:15 PM

Ralph, I love your enthusiasm for your new scope, and the many post you have made about it.

How about posting some pictures of it..

Steve

#9 RalphMeisterTigerMan

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 27 March 2020 - 08:49 PM

I will post some pics as soon as I can.

Clear skies!

RalphMeisterTigerMan

#10 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 27 March 2020 - 09:42 PM

I love mine...

Celestron C5+ (11-16-2019)-3.jpg

Celestron C5+ (11-16-2019)-2.jpg

This one came with all of the accessories, but I stripped it down to the essentials to keep it clean and simple. This example has superb optics and makes a nice little star-hopper.

• Starman27, stevew, eros312 and 3 others like this

#11 Classic8

Classic8

Apollo

• -----

Posted 27 March 2020 - 10:09 PM

What size finder is that? I also notice you have knobs on the mount base. Mine doesn't have those, I use hex wrenches for the base on mine. Different tripod too. I might have a Frankenstein C5+ lol.

#12 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 27 March 2020 - 10:24 PM

The finder is an Orion 30mm RACI with a Vixen mount. The tripod is a late 1970s Celestron locked triangle tripod; very lightweight and sturdy. The knobs were cobbled together from handles and bolts from a hardware store.

#13 Old Man

Old Man

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Indiana

Posted 28 March 2020 - 01:11 AM

Here is mine waiting on darkness. I have an older tripod from I think a C8, and I also use knobs to mount the C5+. I have the Celestron 9x50 RACI and now have replaced the little red dot finder with a Pinty GLP and a Pinty red/green finder with changeable reticles mounted on a picatinny rail that mounts both, the glp on top and the red/green at a 45 degree angle.

No uptodate pics to show it though.

Here is a pic of the Venus transit I took thru my C5+ with my dslr, I think this was in 2012, if my old memory serves me right.

c5+ 2.jpg

Transit of Venus 4.jpg

• stevew, eros312 and Masvingo like this

#14 Masvingo

Masvingo

Apollo

• Loc: Ayrshire, Scotland

Posted 29 March 2020 - 03:49 PM

There's one here in Scotland!

I've just acquired this beautiful C5+ which I think is a mid 90s model, it arrived last Monday, and first light was yesterday (my brief report is in the Classics forum here).  Hopefully we will get another clear night soon which will give me the chance to compare it to my older orange tube C5 which dates from around 1981. 

The C5+ came with a modified NexStar tripod which makes for a very nice grab and go set up.

C5+.JPG

• Starman27, stevew, eros312 and 4 others like this

#15 RalphMeisterTigerMan

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 30 March 2020 - 12:20 AM

Very nice. The C5+ is one of those scopes that are very "photogenic".

Be posting pics of mine soon.

Clear skies!

RalphMeisterTigerMan

#16 CapnRon

CapnRon

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: NC

Posted 01 April 2020 - 08:00 PM

I still have mine from the 1990's.  I use it both with the table top mount for parties and planet watching or with my CGEM mount for Astrophotography.  It works well at f/10 or with the reducer at f/6 I will pass it down to my Grandkids before selling it.

• stevew likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics