•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Skywatchet 150ed vs ts optics triplet 130 for visual

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bockos

bockos

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 March 2020 - 01:38 AM

Hi, I have a question to the experienced user: which of the scope will give better views on the moon, jupiter and saturn? Given the price which is similar which is better for visual planetary: the sharper triplet or the larger aperture doublet?

Thanks in advance!

#2 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 27 March 2020 - 02:05 AM

I would suspect impossible to say, you might like the 150, I might like the 130. And I half suspect neither preference will be on the actual view.

Do you prefer having an ED doublet at 150mm or a Triplet at 130mm. Does the extra aperture count over the extra lens.

That is the problem with a scope these days  All the operating criteria are close, not quite identical so you have to make a small compromise one way or the other. And you have to do it before even trying one or the other. I do not know of a retailer that will send you one of each to try for 2 months.

Check the accessories, focuser, focuser travel, finders, even a handle - a Skywatcher I bought has little focuser travel and is to me a negative.

• Erik Bakker likes this

#3 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 27 March 2020 - 06:12 AM

The triplet is not sharper in itself, just likely better color corrected than said doublet.

A substantial role in this price category is played by sample variation, but generally, the larger doublet has an edge in showing planetary or deep sky detail visually. Photographically, the better color correction in the comparison between these two instruments gives the nudge to the smaller triplet. 

Another consideration is the stability of the mount you have or intend to buy. The 5" has a shorter moment arm than the 6".

Local seeing conditions and the thermal situation are another important factor. Is there a larger or smaller temperature difference where you observe? IS local seeing good enough to let the bigger 6" shine?

And lastly, which instrument do you subjectively like the most? 

Good luck in choosing. And especially gettin the instrument physically in your hands in these very challenging times globally, both effecting production and transport of instruments.

• Steve Allison likes this

#4 Illinois

Illinois

Gemini

• Loc: near Dixon, Illinois USA

Posted 27 March 2020 - 06:47 AM

I sold my ES 127 triplet to get some money to buy SW150 ED. Last early Fall I used SW150 ED to look at Jupiter and Saturn. I noticed its better than my ES 127! SW 150 is 1200mm is just right for serious planetary and Moon. I am happy with my SW 150 and looking forward to look at Jupiter, Saturn and close up Mars this year!
  • doctordub, Erik Bakker and denis0007dl like this

#5 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 27 March 2020 - 07:42 AM

I have an AT130 F6 (FPL-53) and the Meade 152ED.

On Planets the extra inch is noticeable and the CA correction is enough to

satisfy my nit-picky requirements.

On Luna however I prefer the Triplet for It's purity (white tone) and lack of "tint" that the ED Doublet exhibits.

• Erik Bakker, JKAstro and denis0007dl like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics