•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

EQ6-R PRO Owners' Club

eq mount star party
  • Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#1 kel123

kel123

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 March 2020 - 09:37 AM

I am proposing this thread as a place for the convergence of ideas between Skywatcher EQ6-R owners, proud and angry alike.
I don't have the statistics but I deduce it is a best-selling mount and this can be as a result of the position it occupies as a relatively mid-range mount which is in a class by itself. This can easily be grasped by the number of threads about it on the internet. It cannot be regarded as a cheapo and it can also not be regarded as expensive when you take into account pricing of mounts in this hobby.
Owners can come here and share their experiences, including their thrills and pains, while others can seek solutions to their problems. Owners and aspiring owners can always come here and see how others are doing with their rigs.

The first problem to solve after acquiring this mount is power supply as it doesn't do well with epileptic power supply. I solved this by getting something like this buck-boost converter https://www.amazon.c...=8-1&th=1&psc=1
I connect it between the mount and an 11 AH Renogy Lithium Power Bank and it ensures constant voltage until the battery peters out out above 10v . Hence, there is nothing like low voltage to the mount. When the battery is off, it is off.

I hope the thread is not only useful but ages well too.

Edited by kel123, 27 March 2020 - 09:53 AM.

• stresspro likes this

#2 NoDarkSkies

NoDarkSkies

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Denver Metro Colorado

Posted 27 March 2020 - 09:56 AM

So Far while I have not really used it yet it is a Great Mount.
I even have the Pier Extension, I think is a Must Have Item for the EQ6-R PRO.
I say PRO only because it says Pro on the Mount as others say their is no difference but I have not yet seen one that is not a Pro Version or at least not saying so on the Mount.
Power Requirement  DC11~16V 4A
Primary AC Power Pyramid PS9KX Universal Compact Bench Power Supply-5 Amp Linear Regulated Home Lab Benchtop Converter w/ 13.8 Volt DC 115V AC 70 Watt Input, Screw Type Terminal, 12V Car Cigarette Lighter

Back Up AC Power Radio Shack 3 AMP Regulated Converter w/ 13.8 Volt DC 115V AC Cigarette Lighter.
Primary AC Power for ASIAIR PRO to Cameras and Focuser  ZWO 12V 5A AC to DC Adapter for Cooled Cameras ***
Primary DC Power 2 AGM 100h Batteries that are part of my Travel Trailer.
Backup/(Maybe Primary Sometimes still need to test it out) DC Power  LXPS 18 Portable Power Supply

*** I have not yet tested this on the Mount but I need to as I ended up with 4 of them some how.

Edited by NoDarkSkies, 27 March 2020 - 10:36 AM.

#3 kel123

kel123

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 March 2020 - 10:06 AM

So Far while I have not really used it yet it is a Great Mount.
I even have the Pier Extension, I think is a Must Have Item for the EQ6-R PRO.
I say PRO only because it says Pro on the Mount as other say their is no difference but I have not yet seen one that is not a Pro Version.

There is no difference in performance. The only difference is the USB port on the head. The early versions also have gray setting cycles instead on the new signature green of Skywatcher

#4 sg6

sg6

Cosmos

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 27 March 2020 - 10:23 AM

Wasn't there an Owners Club posting about 2 maybe 3 months ago?

#5 NoDarkSkies

NoDarkSkies

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 27 March 2020 - 10:26 AM

Some Members are posting to not use Old Threads but to me it makes no difference and being a Newer Mount I think a Newer Thread is best.

I did search on EQ6-R PRO Owners Club and EQ6-R PRO Owner's Club and EQ6-R Owners Club and EQ6-R  Owner's Club but did not find an older Thread.

Edited by NoDarkSkies, 27 March 2020 - 10:29 AM.

#6 ldcarson

ldcarson

Explorer 1

Posted 27 March 2020 - 11:19 AM

I bought one months ago but haven’t unboxed it yet.  Been slowly working with the azgti and skyguider pro which I also have.  Figured I would start small and work up to the the big one.

#7 kel123

kel123

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 March 2020 - 11:55 AM

Wasn't there an Owners Club posting about 2 maybe 3 months ago?

I don't think it is on CN. Searches returned nothing.

#8 kel123

kel123

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 March 2020 - 05:08 PM

I bought one months ago but haven’t unboxed it yet. Been slowly working with the azgti and skyguider pro which I also have. Figured I would start small and work up to the the big one.

I think you should at least test it within the warranty window.
  • Prima Luna likes this

#9 NoDarkSkies

NoDarkSkies

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 27 March 2020 - 05:52 PM

I think you should at least test it within the warranty window.

And Register on their site for Warranty as well with in the required time frame. 

#10 ldcarson

ldcarson

Explorer 1

Posted 27 March 2020 - 06:43 PM

Yep, will have to drag it out this weekend and make sure it’s working.....thanks for reminding me.

• PKDfan likes this

#11 sabersix

sabersix

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Midway GA

Posted 27 March 2020 - 09:15 PM

Got mine set up, have enjoyed it.  The learning curve was pretty steep, I had Orion Skyview prior to this one.  I had to learn all about ascom and eqmod and guiding and cable management and every other software program ever written.  I am finally thinking i have all the bugs worked out now and can get good pics from it.

Took this grab of the Rosette nebula with it a couple nights ago.  This is only an hour of exposure time, I am working on getting a couple more tonight. We will see how this all integrates.  (edit:  the stupid picture file was too large)

The one thing I do not like are the green rings for ra and dec.  I hate the stupid little thumb screws they use to hold them in place.  The ra one slips no matter how tight i get it.  Other than that, I love this mount.

Edited by sabersix, 27 March 2020 - 09:17 PM.

• DavidEB likes this

#12 kel123

kel123

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 March 2020 - 10:03 PM

Got mine set up, have enjoyed it.  The learning curve was pretty steep, I had Orion Skyview prior to this one.  I had to learn all about ascom and eqmod and guiding and cable management and every other software program ever written.  I am finally thinking i have all the bugs worked out now and can get good pics from it.

Took this grab of the Rosette nebula with it a couple nights ago.  This is only an hour of exposure time, I am working on getting a couple more tonight. We will see how this all integrates.  (edit:  the stupid picture file was too large)

The one thing I do not like are the green rings for ra and dec.  I hate the stupid little thumb screws they use to hold them in place.  The ra one slips no matter how tight i get it.  Other than that, I love this mount.

I guess you forgot to upload the picture. And most people don't really use the setting circles 

• sabersix likes this

#13 Francopoli

Francopoli

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Gallatin County, Montana

Posted 27 March 2020 - 10:30 PM

Mount works great with EQMod and NiNa.  I don't even use the hand controller.  I solved power issues with a Pegasus pocket power box, which I bought to make a wire harness and have a clean cable run to the mount. 

Very happy with the purchase.

#14 kel123

kel123

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 March 2020 - 11:48 PM

I have a Primalucelab Eagle Core which I use as a cable manager.

#15 Peregrinatum

Peregrinatum

Apollo

• Loc: South Central Valley, Ca

Posted 28 March 2020 - 11:22 AM

Have owned the EQ6-R Pro for about a year now, not one single issue very pleased with this mount... I think it is the ultimate value for "mid" sized mounts.

The capacity is rated for 44 lbs, but originally it was rated for over 50 lbs as the derating was due to tripod vibration.  I have successfully used a 30 lb payload (OTA plus AP equipment) and not had a single issue with total RMS guiding in PHD2 averaging about 0.5 arc-sec.

#16 kel123

kel123

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 March 2020 - 11:55 AM

Have owned the EQ6-R Pro for about a year now, not one single issue very pleased with this mount... I think it is the ultimate value for "mid" sized mounts.

The capacity is rated for 44 lbs, but originally it was rated for over 50 lbs as the derating was due to tripod vibration. I have successfully used a 30 lb payload (OTA plus AP equipment) and not had a single issue with total RMS guiding in PHD2 averaging about 0.5 arc-sec.

Can you point me towards the literature on the original ratings? Any link? I have always thought that some specs of the mount were changed few weeks after it was shipped in 2017.

#17 wxcloud

wxcloud

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Denver, Co

Posted 28 March 2020 - 04:16 PM

Still trying to make some real use of mine, I've had it out and gotten a few decent shots, I haven't really used it though, if that makes sense.

Got a couple upgrades in mind, one is cutting up some thin Teflon sheets to put between the head and tripod.

Would like to eventually get the direct to mount USB cable so I can get rid of the hand controller, the software in is is, well, different :o

If clouds clear out tonight and wind tapers off, might have a first go at auto guiding

#18 Queux

Queux

Lift Off

Posted 28 March 2020 - 09:23 PM

I got mine yesterday and set it up right away indoors. I plan on using it for mostly AP. First task was to align the polar scope to the mount which was very close to start with. Powered it up a little while later and did a couple simulated alignments and gotos. Everything seemed to work well. Today I added my Asiair. I connected it directly to the mount with a common USB printer cable. I selected EQMOD in the Asiair menu and everything looked to work OK. I'm looking forward to getting it out under the stars to polar align using the polar scope, checking the accuracy with the Asiair polar alignment, doing a plate solve for alignment and then testing to see if it will center on the objects in the Asiair catalog. Then on to guiding.......

#19 Prima Luna

Prima Luna

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1

Posted 29 March 2020 - 12:07 AM

Open the file in Paint, resize it to about 50%, save as. View size.

Repeat if necessary.

• sabersix likes this

#20 Jarrod

Jarrod

Apollo

• Loc: SE USA

Posted 06 April 2020 - 02:31 PM

Joining this thread, hopefully for the long haul.  Graduating from AVX, where the similarly titled thread way back when was a wealth of info.

Grabbed an EQ6-R Pro on sale at B&H.  It should arrive tomorrow.  It's been a few years since I've done any imaging.  Looking forward to taking another run at it with a presumably significantly better-equipped mount.

Edited by Jarrod, 06 April 2020 - 02:33 PM.

#21 kel123

kel123

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 April 2020 - 02:50 PM

Joining this thread, hopefully for the long haul. Graduating from AVX, where the similarly titled thread way back when was a wealth of info.

Grabbed an EQ6-R Pro on sale at B&H. It should arrive tomorrow. It's been a few years since I've done any imaging. Looking forward to taking another run at it with a presumably significantly better-equipped mount.

Congratulations . I hope it serves you well.
  • Jarrod likes this

#22 Mike from W.A.S.

Mike from W.A.S.

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Southern Connecticut

Posted 21 April 2020 - 09:27 PM

I'm new to this thread and new to Cloudy Nights.  I stumbled across this topic while searching for fixes for my EQ6-R tripod pier extension.

I bought my EQ6 mount at NEAF 2019 and had it running on Starry Night 6 software a few hours later.  I immediately ordered the pier extension.  I love the mount, I'll give it an "excellent" rating, the tripod is "good", but the pier extension, well, it has design issues.  I believe I fixed the issues but I plan on making some additional improvements.

I control my EQ6 with Starry Night Pro 7 and PHD2.  Much to my surprise, both work flawlessly right from the start, as did the non-SkyWatcher GPS.

I consider myself a "beginner".  I'm mostly interested in science stuff, variable stars and occultations, not so much AP. 

Too many hobbies, not enough time...   ;^)

#23 Domer

Domer

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, CA, USA

Posted 22 April 2020 - 05:01 PM

I've only been doing AP for about 9 months and am considering upgrading to the EQ6-R.  I currently have a SkyGuider Pro mounted on a Manfrotto tripod, autoguided with a ZWO scope and PHD2 running on a Raspberry Pi 4.  But I'm growing weary of the agonizing polar alignment process, inability to maintain PA after repointing the lens, lack of DEC tracking, and unacceptable results with a large (heavy) 600 mm lens on my camera.  The SGP is great for Milky Way shots and generally anything under ~135mm, but I'd like to get crisp images of DSOs at 600 mm.

Most of the reviews I've read are highly favorable, but are there any significant issues I should be aware of?  Is polar alignment easier with the EQ6-R adjustment knobs and does it retain the alignment after repositioning the scope?  Will my RPI4 running PHD2 be able to connect to it with ASCOM drivers to control both DEC and RA?

Edited by Domer, 22 April 2020 - 05:16 PM.

#24 jacob_b

jacob_b

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Denver Area, Colorado

Posted 22 April 2020 - 05:26 PM

I just purchased an EQ6-R Pro (like...an hour ago smile.gif) as it's the platform I'll be building my DSO rig around. I'll be taking baby steps with my gear, and starting by using my Nikon D7100 and a 200mm F/2.4 lens. The step after that will be a guide scope and camera, then I'll grab a better telescope to replace the 200mm camera lens, and finally I'll get a dedicated astro camera (likely a ZWO something).

My current problem is trying to figure out how to attach my DSLR to the mount in such a way that would allow for a guide scope to be used as well. The current thought is to use something like this: https://www.admacces...-small-version/ or maybe even this: https://www.admacces...connecting-bar/

The problem with the above solutions is that (as far as I can tell) this would position the camera (and eventual scope) 90-degrees off of where I'd guess I would want them to be.

Does anyone know if it's possible to somehow tell the mount that the lenses are positioned at 90-degrees?

#25 Domer

Domer

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, CA, USA

Posted 22 April 2020 - 05:43 PM

I just purchased an EQ6-R Pro (like...an hour ago smile.gif) as it's the platform I'll be building my DSO rig around. I'll be taking baby steps with my gear, and starting by using my Nikon D7100 and a 200mm F/2.4 lens. The step after that will be a guide scope and camera, then I'll grab a better telescope to replace the 200mm camera lens, and finally I'll get a dedicated astro camera (likely a ZWO something).

My current problem is trying to figure out how to attach my DSLR to the mount in such a way that would allow for a guide scope to be used as well. The current thought is to use something like this: https://www.admacces...-small-version/ or maybe even this: https://www.admacces...connecting-bar/

The problem with the above solutions is that (as far as I can tell) this would position the camera (and eventual scope) 90-degrees off of where I'd guess I would want them to be.

Does anyone know if it's possible to somehow tell the mount that the lenses are positioned at 90-degrees?

Jacob,

There are a number of ways to do this without turning your scopes perpendicular to the mount's pointing direction.  Peter Zelinka shows a couple options here.  I chose to mount my guide scope underneath my rail, as shown in the attached image.

Attached Thumbnails

• Guide Scope Mounting 1.jpg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eq, mount, star party

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics