•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

EQ6-R PRO Owners' Club

eq mount star party
  • Please log in to reply
207 replies to this topic

#51 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NE Kansas

Posted 04 May 2020 - 06:48 PM

These things are notorious for that serial converter going out. My HC one went out and while waiting for a new HC, the one in my mount went out. I got a shoestring cable and never looked back. The new HC works now but I haven’t used it much. I will probably send the mount in for a new motor board next winter while it is still under warranty but I am not really looking forward to that.

I do believe you update the motor board using the USB port. Sitt, is your PC recognizing either when you plug
them in? (Look under ports in the device manager, watch for a change when you connect it) If it’s not, I would bet dollars to donuts the serial converter is defective. jdupton helped me diagnose mine also.

Also, (opinion, I am no expert) a “new” mount still may be up to a year old or older, it may “need” updating. But I have learned the long hard lessons about updating firmware when it isn’t absolutely required to fix a problem on an otherwise functioning device. “Ain’t broke, don’t fix it”

#52 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 04 May 2020 - 06:59 PM

I don't own one but I just set one up for a friend and we use it together. I could not figure out how to get it to work - it's the White Skywatcher version - without a shoestring cable. So we bought one but I'm convinced that the USB port should be the way to go. Can someone give me a tutorial about how to get rid of the HC and just use the USB port to connect to a computer?

#53 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Surveyor 1

Posted 04 May 2020 - 09:42 PM

This post here should sort you out rgsalinger. 

https://www.cloudyni...ptop/?p=9479405

Mr. Upton breaks it down. It worked great for me until the port went out on my mount. I hope yours proves to be more reliable! 

• CloudySky420 likes this

#54 kel123

kel123

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 May 2020 - 11:37 PM

This post here should sort you out rgsalinger.

https://www.cloudyni...ptop/?p=9479405

Mr. Upton breaks it down. It worked great for me until the port went out on my mount. I hope yours proves to be more reliable!

I have never really heard of the port going out. Maybe you tugged it some.

#55 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Surveyor 1

Posted 04 May 2020 - 11:56 PM

I have never really heard of the port going out. Maybe you tugged it some.

I didn't. Especially not both of them. And never had a port issue on any other device enduring much more arduous conditions for much longer. I haven't aggregated the other user's posts having these problems, and my experiences may be an outliers, but far from rare. 

#56 Hypoxic

Hypoxic

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Oise, France

Posted 05 May 2020 - 02:29 AM

Just purchased an EQ6-R Pro. This will be my first computerized mount so when it arrives, what initial tests do I need to preform to verify that all is well with the mount? Anything in particular to look for?

#57 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 05 May 2020 - 01:00 PM

Just purchased an EQ6-R Pro. This will be my first computerized mount so when it arrives, what initial tests do I need to preform to verify that all is well with the mount? Anything in particular to look for?

No.  Just get out and use it.  Don't wait a couple of months with it sitting in the family room gathering dust.  That is the only way to know if it is working like it should.  You can do some fooling around in the house, but other than it turning on or not, that will not provide you with much information that matters.

• wrnchhead likes this

#58 Hypoxic

Hypoxic

Messenger

• -----

Posted 05 May 2020 - 02:28 PM

No.  Just get out and use it.  Don't wait a couple of months with it sitting in the family room gathering dust.  That is the only way to know if it is working like it should.  You can do some fooling around in the house, but other than it turning on or not, that will not provide you with much information that matters.

Will do. It'll be out of the box as soon as it arrives. I have the COVID-19 confinement boredom, so I'll work it through quickly.

#59 JAS62

JAS62

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Redmond, Oregon

Posted 06 May 2020 - 08:21 PM

Here's an obligatory bump for the topic...

Look at what Brown brought me today.  Going to spend the evening configuring so I can do a session tomorrow night.  It's supposed to be n-i-c-e weather.

Sky-Watcher EQ6-R Pro

Got it from OPT.  Normally I order gear from HPS.  However, being on the left-coast it made more sense from a shipping perspective to order closer to home.

This is as close to an "un-boxing video" as I'm ever going to get. smirk.gif

Clear skies!

Edited by JAS62, 06 May 2020 - 10:21 PM.

• Hypoxic and wrnchhead like this

#60 Hypoxic

Hypoxic

Messenger

• -----

Posted 07 May 2020 - 11:17 AM

Right there with you! Received mine today too from TS (minus the tripod for the moment; Monday). waytogo.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• Package.jpg

Edited by Hypoxic, 07 May 2020 - 11:27 AM.

#61 JAS62

JAS62

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Redmond, Oregon

Posted 07 May 2020 - 12:40 PM

Right there with you! Received mine today too from TS (minus the tripod for the moment; Monday). waytogo.gif

Good deal.  Hey your shippers are friendlier than mine.  My boxes showed signs of abuse.

Set it up and tested last night in my living room.  Everything works.  Boy is it quiet in comparison to my ASGT.  Super easy to get going.  Took all of 20 minutes to setup EQMOD and ASCOM.  Got Stellarium, Cartes du Ciel and APT go-to and tracking to work.  After setting home position, the hand controller went back into the box and will likely never come out.

I'm all smiles.

#62 Hypoxic

Hypoxic

Messenger

• -----

Posted 07 May 2020 - 02:45 PM

Good deal.  Hey your shippers are friendlier than mine.  My boxes showed signs of abuse.

Set it up and tested last night in my living room.  Everything works.  Boy is it quiet in comparison to my ASGT.  Super easy to get going.  Took all of 20 minutes to setup EQMOD and ASCOM.  Got Stellarium, Cartes du Ciel and APT go-to and tracking to work.  After setting home position, the hand controller went back into the box and will likely never come out.

I'm all smiles.

Sweet! Waiting impatiently for my tripod to arrive.

My brown truck guys are cool. Since I’m still in confinement, we have a virus routine. I open and leave the gate in the morning, when they arrive we conduct business at a good distance. They drop the boxes at the gate, see me (they know me), scan the boxes, exchange pleasantries a bit and they’re off. Then I can go out and collect the boxes, put them in the garage, wipe them down with a bleach water rag and I can open them the next day. It’s the way it is right now since we are still in a red zone; just weird times.

Edited by Hypoxic, 07 May 2020 - 02:46 PM.

• jap201 likes this

#63 Hypoxic

Hypoxic

Messenger

• -----

Posted 08 May 2020 - 07:18 AM

Just set mine up. Looking through the reticle, my 12 o'clock is pointing to 10 o'clock. Is there a way to rotate the reticle so that 12 is pointing up?

Nevermind

Edited by Hypoxic, 08 May 2020 - 07:36 AM.

#64 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Surveyor 1

Posted 08 May 2020 - 07:35 AM

For the polar scope? Yes, loosen the RA clutch, rotate until the reticle is in the right position. Don’t forget to rotate the DEC 90 degrees so you can see through the polar scope.

Edited by wrnchhead, 08 May 2020 - 07:36 AM.

#65 Hypoxic

Hypoxic

Messenger

• -----

Posted 08 May 2020 - 09:08 AM

For the polar scope? Yes, loosen the RA clutch, rotate until the reticle is in the right position. Don’t forget to rotate the DEC 90 degrees so you can see through the polar scope.

I was wondering if I could mechanically rotate the reticle itself inside the mount to be correct, but I guess it really doesn't mater. I center aligned the crosshairs this afternoon, so I'll just do it the way you described till I learn more exact means of PA (Sharpcap, etc).

When people said this thing was heavy, they weren't kidding. It's a pillar! cool.gif

Edited by Hypoxic, 08 May 2020 - 09:15 AM.

• jap201 likes this

#66 kel123

kel123

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 May 2020 - 10:03 AM

When people said this thing was heavy, they weren't kidding. It's a pillar! cool.gif

In fact, I was so shocked about how heavy it was when I first tried to carry the mount head up a flight of stairs.

#67 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Surveyor 1

Posted 08 May 2020 - 10:06 AM

The thing is, the threads on the polar scope and the threads on the mount itself are what determine where the reticle is going to wind up. It's pretty much infinitely variable. Every combination is going to be different. 

And yeah it's a beast. Sometimes I just grab the whole assembled right scope and all and carry it inside. I guess I better do it while I'm 43, eventually I probably won't be able to! 

#68 wxcloud

wxcloud

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Denver, Co

Posted 08 May 2020 - 06:04 PM

Just curious, where is everyone's centering peg? I left mine in the default position (which makes the tripod feel backwards) and that is between the legs instead of over the one. Should I switch it out to over the one leg? Does it matter?

I kinda wondered if over the leg would provide better support.

#69 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Surveyor 1

Posted 08 May 2020 - 07:03 PM

Mine was on the “wrong” side. I haven’t had any bad experiences but I have read on here that you want the counterweights over the leg to prevent a bump tripping it over. So I moved mine.

The azimuth adjustment was frustrating me, so I replaced it with a bolt, with an unthreaded shank and the head cut off. (Effectively a round post) Milk jug plastic between tripod and mount, and now the azimuth adjustment is easy and intuitive. Can rotate each bolt opposite the other and it pans as you’d expect. Before, I believe it was turning the square post and having to wind that in and out every time made adjusting it annoying.

#70 kel123

kel123

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 May 2020 - 11:41 PM

Just curious, where is everyone's centering peg? I left mine in the default position (which makes the tripod feel backwards) and that is between the legs instead of over the one. Should I switch it out to over the one leg? Does it matter?

I kinda wondered if over the leg would provide better support.

As far as you don't reside in a low latitude country or city, you can switch it to the other side, on top of one leg. It was left in that default position between the legs becuase of those that leave below about 10 degrees or so latitude so that the tripod does not hit the legs. Most be people who live in mid to high latitude cities swap it from the default position to over one leg as that is actually the position for stability.

#71 Hypoxic

Hypoxic

Messenger

• -----

Posted 09 May 2020 - 05:22 AM

Does anyone use this little power wire clamp that comes with the mount? Any smart places to stick it or should have stuck it after use? Into the junk drawer?

Attached Thumbnails

• 5B324F8B-A3F0-4C5A-BE31-87B5A0FA5534.jpeg

Edited by Hypoxic, 09 May 2020 - 05:23 AM.

#72 kel123

kel123

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 May 2020 - 05:33 AM

Does anyone use this little power wire clamp that comes with the mount? Any smart places to stick it or should have stuck it after use? Into the junk drawer?

It is meant to be permanently stuck on the mount face to loop your hand controller cable through . I think it reduces the torque on the cable to prevent it from being pulled out from the port while in use. Some people have mounted it while others have ignored it.

#73 Hypoxic

Hypoxic

Messenger

• -----

Posted 09 May 2020 - 06:01 AM

It is meant to be permanently stuck on the mount face to loop your hand controller cable through . I think it reduces the torque on the cable to prevent it from being pulled out from the port while in use. Some people have mounted it while others have ignored it.

Yeah, if figured as much. Just thought I'd ask incase any of you veteran users had a good idea for it. 

I also started to notice real quick that my power cable setup with my existing equipment is going to make a huge mess around the mount. So I just ordered one of those PegasusAstro Pocket Power units to eliminate some of the power supply spaghetti.

#74 kel123

kel123

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 May 2020 - 06:31 AM

Yeah, if figured as much. Just thought I'd ask incase any of you veteran users had a good idea for it.

I also started to notice real quick that my power cable setup with my existing equipment is going to make a huge mess around the mount. So I just ordered one of those PegasusAstro Pocket Power units to eliminate some of the power supply spaghetti.

I think one thing that I don't like about the design is that the ports are on the moving face. I really don't know what informed that.
  • wrnchhead likes this

#75 wxcloud

wxcloud

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Denver, Co

Posted 09 May 2020 - 04:45 PM

Thanks for the replies. I'll probably switch th peg out and give that a try next time I lug the thing outside. Also need to get around to trimming the teflon sheets I got to make some bearings for the head and legs.

Also my TeleGizmos 365 Series Cover for 11" - 14" SCT / ACF / RC on Equatorial Mount came in today... Went for this size to figure it would cover a lot more and maybe keep the legs covered as well.

Don't plan on storing the set up outside unless I can build a little shed for it. Thought if I knew it was going to be potentially nice for imaging for a couple nights in a row I can be semi ready to go, at least have the mount out. Doubt I'd leave the edgeHD 8 or 80ed Ang electronics on it overnight.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eq, mount, star party

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics