•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

EQ6-R PRO Owners' Club

eq mount star party
  • Please log in to reply
175 replies to this topic

#76 Hypoxic

Hypoxic

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Oise, France

Posted 11 May 2020 - 07:42 AM

Need some help:

I have loaded ASCOM and EQMOD and am trying to connect to the mount. I can register in the EQASCOM tool box and I have set the COM# listed in the windows control panel. Everything opens fine, but I cannot slew the telescope. If I set the mount to park, I can hear the mount react like it’s making a fine adjustment. If I unpark the mount and try to use the slew keys, nothing. Am I missing something in the settings?

I am connected to the mount direct from the computer usb to the mount usb and powered from the wall socket.

Attached Thumbnails

• 097F099F-DA11-4648-8355-4AF42C173E76.jpeg
  • 6EA52FCA-EA4C-4265-8F28-63734C8E8D08.jpeg

Edited by Hypoxic, 11 May 2020 - 07:51 AM.

#77 Hypoxic

Hypoxic

Messenger

• -----

Posted 11 May 2020 - 08:02 AM

I changed the slew rate in EQMOD to 4 and it works. The other slew rates 1-3 don’t work.

Edit. Scratch that. They do work, just so quiet that I don’t hear the mount, but I see the ever-so-slight movement.

Edited by Hypoxic, 11 May 2020 - 08:04 AM.

#78 kel123

kel123

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 May 2020 - 08:36 AM

I changed the slew rate in EQMOD to 4 and it works. The other slew rates 1-3 don’t work.

Edit. Scratch that. They do work, just so quiet that I don’t hear the mount, but I see the ever-so-slight movement.

Apparently, you were expecting to optically detect sidereal movement. Same mistake people make with the Star Adventurer.
Great you sorted out the confusion anyway.

#79 Hypoxic

Hypoxic

Messenger

• -----

Posted 11 May 2020 - 09:20 AM

Apparently, you were expecting to optically detect sidereal movement. Same mistake people make with the Star Adventurer.
Great you sorted out the confusion anyway.

Yeah, I'm trying to hammer through it, I've overcome all the little stops but I'm kind of stuck right now; I can't get Cartes du Ciel to connect to the mount. Not really sure what I'm missing here.

Edit: VICTORY!!!  I was logged into EQMOD as administrator but not in CDC. This was causing an issue. Logged into CDC as admin and just slewed the mount to M51. BAM!!

Edited by Hypoxic, 11 May 2020 - 09:32 AM.

• wrnchhead likes this

#80 Blackbelt76

Blackbelt76

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 11 May 2020 - 09:54 AM

Just a reminder to new owners: Until setting up becomes 2nd nature; use a check list.

I saw a person drop the EQ head onto the tripod. The head is heavy and will sit there nicely.

They forgot to thread the stabilizer into the head and proceeded to place the counter wts on..a few mins later the entire head

fell off the mount. Ouch.

• wrnchhead and Bill001 like this

#81 Hypoxic

Hypoxic

Messenger

• -----

Posted 11 May 2020 - 10:20 AM

Just a reminder to new owners: Until setting up becomes 2nd nature; use a check list.

I saw a person drop the EQ head onto the tripod. The head is heavy and will sit there nicely.

They forgot to thread the stabilizer into the head and proceeded to place the counter wts on..a few mins later the entire head

fell off the mount. Ouch.

Oh man, I would have freaked out. That makes me want to put a "Remove Before Flight" sort of ribbon down there or on the handle... think I'm going to do just that!

Edited by Hypoxic, 11 May 2020 - 10:21 AM.

• jap201 likes this

#82 Blackbelt76

Blackbelt76

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 11 May 2020 - 12:45 PM

Oh man, I would have freaked out. That makes me want to put a "Remove Before Flight" sort of ribbon down there or on the handle... think I'm going to do just that!

I know right?

I've had my EQ6R for a few months and have been in a hurry; I can see how it could happen.

#83 SkippyMcSkipperson

SkippyMcSkipperson

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Troy, Illinois

Posted 11 May 2020 - 03:39 PM

I am a soon to be owner of an EQ6-R, purchased from Astronomics over the weekend as well as new scope.  I'm a bit nervous about it all since this is going to be my very first EQ mount.  Before my star gazing hiatus I only used alt-az mounts, so it should be interesting, at least I have plenty of time to read and get up to speed since I do not have my daily 2 hour round trip commute.

• RodrigoQ likes this

#84 Blackbelt76

Blackbelt76

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 12 May 2020 - 06:10 AM

I am a soon to be owner of an EQ6-R, purchased from Astronomics over the weekend as well as new scope.  I'm a bit nervous about it all since this is going to be my very first EQ mount.  Before my star gazing hiatus I only used alt-az mounts, so it should be interesting, at least I have plenty of time to read and get up to speed since I do not have my daily 2 hour round trip commute.

You will love it!

The manual is well written.

You can download the full manual if you haven't already to get a head start before it arrives.

#85 SkippyMcSkipperson

SkippyMcSkipperson

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Troy, Illinois

Posted 12 May 2020 - 08:09 AM

You will love it!

The manual is well written.

You can download the full manual if you haven't already to get a head start before it arrives.

I did download it yesterday and start reading it.  I also ordered the power supply at the beginning of this thread as well.  I think the power supply will arrive before the mount and OTA though.

#86 Tjdowling

Tjdowling

Lift Off

Posted 13 May 2020 - 06:01 AM

Something similar was previously asked in this thread, but I’m not seeing an answer. Anyone have experience with loading up this mount beyond the 44 lb rating? There is another CN user who posted a picture from a RASA 11 (43 lbs) taken on an EQ6R. I’m assuming his rig is over 44 lbs after the rest of the kit goes on the OTA. I’m looking at doing some piggy back wide field work which would probably push the mount to 50 pounds. Any thoughts on if it could handle it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#87 kel123

kel123

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 May 2020 - 07:16 AM

Something similar was previously asked in this thread, but I’m not seeing an answer. Anyone have experience with loading up this mount beyond the 44 lb rating? There is another CN user who posted a picture from a RASA 11 (43 lbs) taken on an EQ6R. I’m assuming his rig is over 44 lbs after the rest of the kit goes on the OTA. I’m looking at doing some piggy back wide field work which would probably push the mount to 50 pounds. Any thoughts on if it could handle it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You shouldn't start off by planning to undermount your setup. You should be aiming to do the opposite.
I am sure nobody will encourage you to do what you are imagining. Disregard any such example. The EQ-R Pro is probably not the mount for you.
  • EFT, Tjdowling and JAS62 like this

#88 JAS62

JAS62

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Redmond, Oregon

Posted 13 May 2020 - 10:56 AM

You shouldn't start off by planning to undermount your setup. You should be aiming to do the opposite.
I am sure nobody will encourage you to do what you are imagining. Disregard any such example. The EQ-R Pro is probably not the mount for you.

Agree with kel123.  The mount is literally the foundation of your AP configuration.  The performance of the mount is important to the quality of the end product and not worth taking the risk.  That assumes the investment in the EQ6-R is meaningful and there is no fallback plan.  Still starting at the mount's max spec with just the OTA is asking for failure.

• EFT, Bill001 and Tjdowling like this

#89 CorralesRay

CorralesRay

Explorer 1

Posted 14 May 2020 - 01:10 PM

Last year I saw these on sale for ~ $1350, do folks think a similar sale will come again this year? Perhaps Skywatcher was clearing the EQ6R to make room for the EQ8R.

I am trying to garner the courage to ask the wife for the OK to purchase one.

Thanks,

Ray

• RickDawg likes this

#90 RickDawg

RickDawg

Explorer 1

• Loc: Gloucester Point, Virginia

Posted 14 May 2020 - 01:18 PM

I ask for forgiveness instead of permission like-button.jpg

Last year I saw these on sale for ~ $1350, do folks think a similar sale will come again this year? Perhaps Skywatcher was clearing the EQ6R to make room for the EQ8R.

Thanks,

Ray

#91 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 14 May 2020 - 01:19 PM

You can never tell when these companies will have sales.  The change of season might be the best time.  The EQ8 is a low-volume seller it's doubtful that they put the sale on the EQ6-R for that reason.

#92 kel123

kel123

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 May 2020 - 01:37 PM

Thanks,
Ray

They normally do middle-of-year sales by June. I don't think this year will be any different.

#93 JAS62

JAS62

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 14 May 2020 - 02:24 PM

Thanks,

Ray

Sky-Watcher just had the EQ6-R on sale in Feb or March.  Can't remember the exact date, but I do remember seeing the sale price at all the resellers and the Sky-Watcher site.  I just missed the sale myself.  Bought it anyway.

#94 kel123

kel123

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 May 2020 - 02:43 PM

Sky-Watcher just had the EQ6-R on sale in Feb or March. Can't remember the exact date, but I do remember seeing the sale price at all the resellers and the Sky-Watcher site. I just missed the sale myself. Bought it anyway.

I think it was the end-of-year sales.

#95 CorralesRay

CorralesRay

Explorer 1

Posted 14 May 2020 - 03:10 PM

RickDawg - I have played that card a few too many times! I wish the EQ6R was not white. It makes hard to pretend that it is the same mount that has "always been in my office".

• wrnchhead and RickDawg like this

#96 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NE Kansas

Posted 14 May 2020 - 03:13 PM

Ray, LOL. Mine still didn’t figure it out till I actually told her.

Also. I don’t think the eq8 is supplanting the eq6, whole different class of mount.
  • RickDawg likes this

#97 CorralesRay

CorralesRay

Explorer 1

Posted 14 May 2020 - 06:47 PM

Yes, I see the EQ8R is one serious mount. I started to keep an excel spread sheet of my astronomy expenditures, but when I got the AP bug two years ago I had to stop. The amount of money I've spent in two years of AP is 4x the amount I spent in 6+ years of visual observing.

But, AP is truly a cool hobby, I think it uses both sides of our brains. There is the technical challenge during the collection of data and then the artistic part of it during post processing. And then we get the accolades when an image turns out well. My office mates, friends and family are amazed when I show them just how much a simple set up can capture. I'm still in DSLR land, maybe in a few more years a new ZWO-ASI1600MM monochrome camera and filter wheel up will suddenly appear?

#98 CorralesRay

CorralesRay

Explorer 1

Posted 16 May 2020 - 07:16 PM

Shoot, looks like I killed this thread.....sorry.

Simple question, what is the power cable connection into the head? Is it a simple 12V "center positive"? thanks,

Ray

#99 Sammy

Sammy

Vostok 1

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 16 May 2020 - 07:24 PM

Think I have convinced the wife to let me purchase one of these eq6's. Gotta wait for my bonus check in a few weeks....
  • RickDawg likes this

#100 JAS62

JAS62

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 16 May 2020 - 08:07 PM

Shoot, looks like I killed this thread.....sorry.

Simple question, what is the power cable connection into the head? Is it a simple 12V "center positive"? thanks,

Ray

Straight 12 volts. Two pin twist on. Use a meter to determine the hot side.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eq, mount, star party

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics