•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

EQ6-R PRO Owners' Club

eq mount star party
  • Please log in to reply
173 replies to this topic

#101 SkippyMcSkipperson

SkippyMcSkipperson

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Troy, Illinois

Posted 19 May 2020 - 07:40 PM

So my mount arrived today, helped my wife load the boxes into the house, then she told me I have to wait 9 days till our anniversary to open it.... :(

• wrnchhead likes this

#102 kel123

kel123

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 May 2020 - 07:55 PM

So my mount arrived today, helped my wife load the boxes into the house, then she told me I have to wait 9 days till our anniversary to open it.... :(

Well, you have no choice I guess.
  • wrnchhead likes this

#103 SkippyMcSkipperson

SkippyMcSkipperson

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Troy, Illinois

Posted 19 May 2020 - 10:23 PM

Well, you have no choice I guess.

Indeed.  I guess it is only fair.  I have my new 8" f/5 reflector sitting in its box just waiting for it's new mount, but it will sit there as sad as I am waiting to play with it's new toy.

#104 jerahian

jerahian

Apollo

• Loc: Maine

Posted 19 May 2020 - 10:55 PM

So my mount arrived today, helped my wife load the boxes into the house, then she told me I have to wait 9 days till our anniversary to open it.... frown.gif

Now, this is an occasion where begging on one's knees is totally OK...possibly with tears.

#105 CorralesRay

CorralesRay

Explorer 1

Posted 21 May 2020 - 06:25 PM

Are you diabetic? Wait until the wife goes to bed, and then open it up, in the morning tell her you must have had an insulin reaction and you opened it up early because you were not thinking straight.

I'm jealous, I've committed to waiting until Sept when I hope to get a work bonus.

Congrats.

Ray

• wrnchhead likes this

#106 Ben_gimbel32

Ben_gimbel32

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Pennsylvania

Posted 22 May 2020 - 02:58 PM

I have been using  the EQ6-R Pro for about a year and overall I like it, I only had two issues with it. First issue, I could never get the USB on the hand controller to work. I tried several cables, changed Com ports and Baud rate, I gave up and bought a Rs-232 cable. The Second issue which only happened once, was the Dec sounded like a coffee grinder, this happened while I was using the Sync Scan wifi. Minor issues, I wish there was a power cable that you could plug in, and the  hand controller is cumbersome

#107 JAS62

JAS62

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Redmond, Oregon

Posted 22 May 2020 - 03:07 PM

I've never used the hand controller on my ER6-R, but I remember reading that to use the usb mount connection vial the hand controller, the Syncscan HC has a setting that needs to be activated that tells it is being remotely controlled.  This is different from the Celestron HC's that do not have this setting.

I've not noticed any strange noises from my mount.

Clear skies!

Edited by JAS62, 22 May 2020 - 03:10 PM.

#108 bldeagle1

bldeagle1

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Just outside Chicago, IL

Posted 22 May 2020 - 04:17 PM

I went "all in" and just got this mount, and as the only OTA I have is a 10" Schmidt Newtonian that with the Moonlite focuser and guide scope/camera pushes 35 pounds, I decided to get something a little more manageable and picked up an Explore Scientific ED80 FCD100 APO to go with it. I figured since I was going all in I also got the Polemaster for polar aligning (which I highly recommend) and the WIFI dongle to use my phone instead of the hand controller. One other thing I recommend is a lot of cable ties/wraps!! I have downloaded ASCOM, EQMOD, Stellarium, APT, and All Sky Plate Solving as well, since why not, let's make it as difficult as possible to get the system up and running?.....I am able to connect and move the telescope with Stellarium and EQMOD, but keep getting errors when I try to plate solve in APT or....steep learning curve!.....I did get one decent night's imaging on M13 (well at least a good hours worth of data)....only have 2 issues....one I have is with the GOTO....even with the wide field of view that the 80MM scope has and excellent polar alignment due to the aforementioned Polemaster, the GOTO is off......even with a 2 star alignment....I tried to manually sync to a bright star in APT but got errors with that as well and get errors when I try to plate solve in APT as well....I think once I get the GOTO figured out it will be good, seems to track really well with PHD2 and the ASI-120 equipped 60mm guide scope when I am able to find a target.....the second is not as much an issue with the mount, but a little....the Vixen dove plate holder does not go the full width of the saddle and with the short, 5" mounting bar on the ES OTA, I can't move it forward enough to balance the rig in Dec....have to get a longer vixen or a Losmandy type mounting plate....

Attached Thumbnails

• rig2.jpg

• talltraveler, eros312 and wrnchhead like this

#109 wxcloud

wxcloud

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Denver, Co

Posted 22 May 2020 - 06:18 PM

^^

How is the build quality on the ES 80 scope? Been in the market for a new imaging scope and have heard the focuser is not too good on these scopes, even the hex ones?

Also noticed pointing errors with my EQ6 R pro, with our without the hand controller (which, I didn't think I would, ditched for a laptop) plate solving does help some.

For some reason on mine Polaris could be about centered in the pole master screen and through the scope, it's near the bottom of the eye piece ???

I've seen a few posts across the web about the pointing accuracy.

#110 bldeagle1

bldeagle1

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 22 May 2020 - 07:29 PM

The 2.5" Hex focuser is solid, and the clarity of the FCD100 glass is great...I just took my first image last week of M13  (below)...10 light frames at 210 seconds and ISO 800  and 5 dark frames from a Class 8 Bortle and NO light pollution filter....not too bad for my first ever  stacked image and first time ever using Photoshop....Thanks Trevor smile.gif.......the only thing is the mounting bar attached is NOT long enough to get it far enough forward on the mount to balance the scope.....

Attached Thumbnails

• 96817789_10219478307101371_3999785266171609088_o.jpg

Edited by bldeagle1, 22 May 2020 - 07:31 PM.

• eros312 and wxcloud like this

#111 CorralesRay

CorralesRay

Explorer 1

Posted 23 May 2020 - 09:23 PM

BldEagle,

Your image has very nice round stars. I would say your mount is tracking pretty well. GoTo can be funny. With my mount (not an EQR-6 yet), I use the polar align, do a two-star align, and then I select one or two "calibration" stars. Once I do that, my GoTo is spot on. If I skip the calibration stars, the GoTo is not nearly as good. I wonder if the controller / firmware for the EQR has a similar feature? I will search the manual I downloaded and look.

Ray

#112 CorralesRay

CorralesRay

Explorer 1

Posted 23 May 2020 - 09:24 PM

Should have mentioned my polar align is via the PoleMaster.

#113 Craig_

Craig_

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 25 May 2020 - 08:11 AM

How important if at all is the accuracy of the latitude scale on this mount? I am fairly sure mine is out by 5-6 degrees. It’s definitely level (well at least according to the inbuilt bubble) but the latitude scale on the mount is off by 5-6 degrees versus what  the level app says on two different iPhones. Just wondering whether to contact the dealer or if it doesn’t actually make a difference in the end?

#114 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 25 May 2020 - 02:52 PM

Not important at all.  It sort of helps you set an initial latitude to start with, but that's it.  Just ignore it after that.

#115 Craig_

Craig_

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 May 2020 - 03:46 AM

Not important at all.  It sort of helps you set an initial latitude to start with, but that's it.  Just ignore it after that.

OK Thanks, that is a relief. Wasn't thrilled at the idea of trying to swap it out...

#116 bldeagle1

bldeagle1

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 26 May 2020 - 04:22 PM

BldEagle,

Your image has very nice round stars. I would say your mount is tracking pretty well. GoTo can be funny. With my mount (not an EQR-6 yet), I use the polar align, do a two-star align, and then I select one or two "calibration" stars. Once I do that, my GoTo is spot on. If I skip the calibration stars, the GoTo is not nearly as good. I wonder if the controller / firmware for the EQR has a similar feature? I will search the manual I downloaded and look.

Ray

So I went through and re-aligned the main OTA to the finder/guide scope using phd2 as a finder and APT using Live View to where everything is perfectly centered...aligned via Synscan App (I have the WIFI dongle) then focused and synced my scope on Vega in Stellarium and everything I clicked on all night was perfectly in the center of the screen on PHD2 and APT....WOW!! First time with an accurate GOTO and I was giddy!....LOL... I saw the Ring, Dumbell, several clusters....amazing....until the dew ended my fun....never had dew before on my SN-10! Just ordered my dew controller and straps....won't have that issue again! :) 

#117 bldeagle1

bldeagle1

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 26 May 2020 - 04:23 PM

Yeah....haven't even looked at it since I got the Polemaster! :)

#118 kel123

kel123

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 May 2020 - 07:04 AM

I changed the slew rate in EQMOD to 4 and it works. The other slew rates 1-3 don’t work.

Edit. Scratch that. They do work, just so quiet that I don’t hear the mount, but I see the ever-so-slight movement.

I read that you fried you mount in another thread. My sympathies. I hope everything is back together.

#119 Hypoxic

Hypoxic

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Oise, France

Posted 28 May 2020 - 07:31 AM

I read that you fried you mount in another thread. My sympathies. I hope everything is back together.

Thanks.

I actually just received the new motherboard today. I've patched things up and it all seems to be playing happily together again. Just need to try out the new Orion 50mm guide scope tonight since my William Optics guide scope is a paperweight.

I'm just super thankful that the Nikon survived the incident.

Edited by Hypoxic, 28 May 2020 - 07:34 AM.

#120 kel123

kel123

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 May 2020 - 07:36 AM

Thanks.

I actually just received the new motherboard today. I've patched things up and it all seems to be playing happily together again. Just need to try out the new Orion 50mm guide scope tonight since my William Optics guide scope is a paperweight.

I'm just super thankful that the Nikon survived the incident.

Good know that you are getting on. What's wrong with your WO guide scope.

#121 Hypoxic

Hypoxic

Messenger

• -----

Posted 28 May 2020 - 07:40 AM

Good know that you are getting on. What's wrong with your WO guide scope.

Baaaaaaaaad astigmatism. Star tests look like the Eye of Sauron. 

This is the best it will focus:

Attached Thumbnails

• post-205105-0-28412900-1590064850.jpeg

Edited by Hypoxic, 28 May 2020 - 07:43 AM.

#122 kel123

kel123

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 May 2020 - 08:00 AM

Baaaaaaaaad astigmatism. Star tests look like the Eye of Sauron.

This is the best it will focus:

This is surprising actually. Could it be that it needs an extension? Have you tried that?
Maybe your camera needs more outward travel. It becomes more problematic when it is more inward travel required and you reach the inward limit .

#123 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NE Kansas

Posted 28 May 2020 - 08:04 AM

Well that's beyond a focus issue. I would take the objective off and see if the retaining rings are too tight. Unless it's under warranty. 

#124 Hypoxic

Hypoxic

Messenger

• -----

Posted 28 May 2020 - 08:04 AM

This is surprising actually. Could it be that it needs an extension? Have you tried that?
Maybe your camera needs more outward travel. It becomes more problematic when it is more inward travel required and you reach the inward limit .

Yes, I tried. The ZWO camera came with nice long extension. I could move the camera in and out of the scope reaching min. and max. focus easily. So I got it close, then used the focuser on the guide scope to slowly reach best focus, that image above is as good as it gets.

#125 Hypoxic

Hypoxic

Messenger

• -----

Posted 28 May 2020 - 08:06 AM

Well that's beyond a focus issue. I would take the objective off and see if the retaining rings are too tight. Unless it's under warranty. 

No retaining rings, the lens is held between two lips. If I unscrew the dew shield, I can lift the lens out.

I can't really send it back, I purchased it over a year ago while slowly building up my imaging rig. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eq, mount, star party

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics