•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

EQ6-R PRO Owners' Club

eq mount star party
  • Please log in to reply
1529 replies to this topic

#1526 dclt

dclt

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 04:42 PM

Trying to connect Stellarium to Green Swamp Server via a network connection. My goal is to purchase an Intel NUC to place on the OTA and control the entire system via Windows Remote Desktop.

I'm currently tethered to the mount via USB3 to a Pegasus Astro Powerbox Advanced (which then distributes power and USB connections to mount, camera, and focuser). I'm using a Microsoft SurfaceBook as the system that controls everything with all applications (ASCOM, GreenSwamp Server, SharpCap, Stellarium).

I can remote control the current setup from my office, where I have dual monitors which makes everything just better overall. The issue is Stellarium does not run well over Remote Desktop.

I have Stellarium installed on the office computer, but I can't seem to get it to communicate with GSS running on the laptop using the Configure Telescope options in Stellarium. I have the following settings:

Telescope controlled by: External software or a remote computer
Telescope properties: Name (EQ6-R Pro GSS); Connection delay (0.60s, default); Coordinate system (J2000, default)
Connection settings: 192.168.1.23 (IP address of the SurfaceBook running GSS); TCP port: 10001 (default)

Does anyone have any experience dealing with such a configuration?

Thanks so much in advance.

Frank

Frank, I have an extremely similar setup. I’ve been using a miniPC attached to the mount to run everything & am remoting in from in the house using windows Remote Desktop. I have also experienced this same issue with stelarium being nonfunctional when trying to use via Remote Desktop. I have tried 3 different software revisions of Stellarium & have gone through multiple windows 10 updates over the past year hoping this issue gets corrected. It does not. Something in the coding in Stellarium is stepping on something windows needs when doing Remote Desktop. I can open & run Stellarium just fine when directly connected to the mini PC & can have it easily connect to green swamp server over ASCOM, control the mount through Stellarium etc. Also I have discovered that if I have Stellarium already initiated & up & running through direct PC control BEFORE starting up Remote Desktop to control the mini PC via my laptop, Stellarium does actually work over Remote Desktop in that instance. I have isolated the issue to something in the start up code in Stellarium that conflicts with what windows uses when doing Remote Desktop. If I try to initiate & startup Stellarium over Remote Desktop it just gets hung up on the Stellarium start up screen & never actually opens the program, and also the computer gets hung up there & I can no longer control anything at all via Remote Desktop, though I can still see everything. I cannot even force Stellarium to close via task manager or even initiate a restart. The only solution when it gets to this point is to manually power off the mini PC, reboot & start over.

I have found no solutions to the Stellarium issue. It is something that will have to be fixed by the developers of Stellarium. It is my planetarium program of choice, but I have had to switch to using CdC as Stellarium program for telescope control, etc. CdC works great via Remote Desktop & have never once had an issue.

As far as overall mount control, I am using green swamp server with my EQ6R, APT, CdC, PhD2 for guiding, the usual suspects. I have had good success controlling all of it via windows Remote Desktop & it works well for me.

I’m glad to hear that I’m not the only one encountering this same Stellarium issue when trying to use via Remote Desktop. This confirms my belief that the issue was always within Stellarium itself.

Edited by dclt, Yesterday, 04:44 PM.

#1527 TheXtra10th

TheXtra10th

Explorer 1

• Loc: Twin Cites of MN

Posted Yesterday, 05:02 PM

Frank, I have an extremely similar setup. I’ve been using a miniPC attached to the mount to run everything & am remoting in from in the house using windows Remote Desktop. I have also experienced this same issue with stelarium being nonfunctional when trying to use via Remote Desktop. I have tried 3 different software revisions of Stellarium & have gone through multiple windows 10 updates over the past year hoping this issue gets corrected. It does not. Something in the coding in Stellarium is stepping on something windows needs when doing Remote Desktop. I can open & run Stellarium just fine when directly connected to the mini PC & can have it easily connect to green swamp server over ASCOM, control the mount through Stellarium etc. Also I have discovered that if I have Stellarium already initiated & up & running through direct PC control BEFORE starting up Remote Desktop to control the mini PC via my laptop, Stellarium does actually work over Remote Desktop in that instance. I have isolated the issue to something in the start up code in Stellarium that conflicts with what windows uses when doing Remote Desktop. If I try to initiate & startup Stellarium over Remote Desktop it just gets hung up on the Stellarium start up screen & never actually opens the program, and also the computer gets hung up there & I can no longer control anything at all via Remote Desktop, though I can still see everything. I cannot even force Stellarium to close via task manager or even initiate a restart. The only solution when it gets to this point is to manually power off the mini PC, reboot & start over.

I have found no solutions to the Stellarium issue. It is something that will have to be fixed by the developers of Stellarium. It is my planetarium program of choice, but I have had to switch to using CdC as Stellarium program for telescope control, etc. CdC works great via Remote Desktop & have never once had an issue.

As far as overall mount control, I am using green swamp server with my EQ6R, APT, CdC, PhD2 for guiding, the usual suspects. I have had good success controlling all of it via windows Remote Desktop & it works well for me.

I’m glad to hear that I’m not the only one encountering this same Stellarium issue when trying to use via Remote Desktop. This confirms my belief that the issue was always within Stellarium itself.

Have you tried putting Stellarium on the mini pc ?  That’s what I do and it works just fine when I use Remote Desktop out to the mount.  I use the Ascom driver I think.  I’m not at home, so I can’t check, sorry 

#1528 dclt

dclt

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 05:11 PM

Have you tried putting Stellarium on the mini pc ? That’s what I do and it works just fine when I use Remote Desktop out to the mount. I use the Ascom driver I think. I’m not at home, so I can’t check, sorry

Yes, that is exactly how I have tried using Stellarium in this configuration, with the program directly loaded onto the mini PC controlling the mount. This is where all of the above issues I’ve described occur—when attempting to using Stellarium on the mini PC that I’m using Remote Desktop to connect into via another computer. That is precisely what I’m talking about.

When you say you’re using the ASCOM driver, I guess you mean the skywatcher driver? I haven’t found one, though the mount definitely connects via ASCOM to GSS & all of my other Astro software apart from Stellarium.

Edited by dclt, Yesterday, 05:25 PM.

#1529 TheXtra10th

TheXtra10th

Explorer 1

• Loc: Twin Cites of MN

Posted Yesterday, 06:51 PM

Yes, that is exactly how I have tried using Stellarium in this configuration, with the program directly loaded onto the mini PC controlling the mount. This is where all of the above issues I’ve described occur—when attempting to using Stellarium on the mini PC that I’m using Remote Desktop to connect into via another computer. That is precisely what I’m talking about.

When you say you’re using the ASCOM driver, I guess you mean the skywatcher driver? I haven’t found one, though the mount definitely connects via ASCOM to GSS & all of my other Astro software apart from Stellarium.

I think that’s it, I’m trying to remember what I ended up doing.  I won’t be able to look at my settings till Saturday sometime.  I think I found the answer on a YouTube video. I think I searched how to connect the eq6 to stellarium or something like that.  The only thing I don’t have is the green swamp server thing.  I’m sorry I can’t be of more help.  I guess I missed that you had stellarium on the mini pc.  If you don’t find an answer by Saturday I’ll post what I have  

#1530 dclt

dclt

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 08:42 PM

I think that’s it, I’m trying to remember what I ended up doing. I won’t be able to look at my settings till Saturday sometime. I think I found the answer on a YouTube video. I think I searched how to connect the eq6 to stellarium or something like that. The only thing I don’t have is the green swamp server thing. I’m sorry I can’t be of more help. I guess I missed that you had stellarium on the mini pc. If you don’t find an answer by Saturday I’ll post what I have

I’ve been trying to figure this one out for about 9 months, off & on. So if you’re able to see what your own solution to this issue was/is I’d be very appreciative.
  • TheXtra10th likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eq, mount, star party

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics