•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

EQ6-R PRO Owners' Club

eq mount star party
  • Please log in to reply
264 replies to this topic

#176 kel123

kel123

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 July 2020 - 10:06 PM

The EQ6R Pro is my first real mount (after the StarAdventurer which I love), and I am new to the hobby. I like using my iPad or iPhone with the WiFi SynScan dongle. I've never used the SynScan hand controller, and I've only had this all set up for two or three sessions so far.

I have a couple questions about the WiFi dongle setup. The documentation is pretty slim.

My first question is whether the WiFi dongle requires constant connection from a WiFi device to keep the mount tracking. Once I get set up and tracking on an AP target, do I need to leave my phone or iPad wirelessly connected to the mount for it to continue to run and track, or can I disconnect from the WiFi dongle with confidence that the mount will continue tracking?

Second question, sometimes the app might crash and I lose connection. Once I reconnect do I have to redo a 2 or 3 star alignment? Does the mount remember everything itself, or is the current state stored in the remote WiFi controller app/device?

Thanks

Disconnection or crashing of the app does not affect the alignment or the tracking of the mount. You should simply reconnect and you are good. The command is already in the mount.

#177 MarinerDNA

MarinerDNA

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 11 July 2020 - 10:11 PM

Got the chance to test out my new equipment (no guiding). Id only set up the eq6-r once during the day prior to last night. Just wanted to test everything out and possibly image M31 when it got high enough in the sky.

The result was disastrous. Threw out my back in the process.

First off, the eq6-r slewed very well (quietly) with no weird noises in both RA and DA. The first problem I had was the polar scope. I spent 3 hours getting aligned. I had the correct lattitude for my area and saw nothing. Ok. I'll adjust left and right all the way. Nothing. Maybe I'm too high or low? I went all the way from 30 deg to 60 deg; lattitude, going both left and right every 2 deg;. Nothing. I determined the LED at 100% was too bright. Still nothing. I repeated every position i just mentioned with the led from 4% to 90%. Nothing, and mind you its been 2 & 1/2 hours at this point. I took a 15 minute break along with 800mg of Ibuprofen. I searched my problem in google. Didnt seem this was an issue for anyone else. When I returned I think I got lucky. I saw a star at 32 deg Lattitude with the led at 8%. I got it at the 11 o'clock according to the synscaninit app. So...thats 13deg off from my lat. Could this have been a different star? On to the alignment...

I knew my focus was off by a lot, the APO being straight out of the box and everything. I took a few pictures at different focus until I got a star-field, just to get a "ball park" focus.

I made another accident after this? I chose Arcturus as my 1st alignment star. It was BLAZING in the bortle 4 sky. There's no way it won't show up on my screen. Sure enough, i slewed to it and nothing was there. I slewed left to right and up a whole frame. Took a picture. Changed my focus up and down the entire focus tube length out of frustration. At this point I accidentally pressed sync on the HC. I don't know if this messed up the rest of my night because ANYTHING I slewed to the rest of the night was not showing up on screen.

It's 2AM by now and I know by looking at Stellarium that Andromeda was well above the horizon. Just to test the HC out, I punched in M31 and it tells me its "Below the Horizon!"....No...it's not. I finally just manually pushed the scope to Jupiter and took a shot out of frustration. At this point it's 3:30AM and I'm done. Time to tear down.

I must say I was pretty hacked. The polar scope doesn't concern me much because that thing is going back in the box and I can get a polemaster. Was that even Polaris in the scope? The only star of note that was nearby was Alderamin, but it didn't look like the mount was pointed that far left. I don't know. Is any of what I described normal, the 8% LED, the 32 deg; lattitude despite being at 45 deg; for Portland, OR? Maybe I just have trouble seeing it in a see of red, IDK...

What concerns me is the GoTo. If my PA was correct then I've got a problem.

I entered in the following during setup:

-Correct LAT/LONG
-Time Zone: -07:00...Synscaninit says 8:00 but all other searches said -7:00. There were 4 digit spaces, too (00:00). Did I enter that correctly?
-

Daylight Savings: YES
-Sidereal Rate
-Correct date & time

Would ditching the HC and installing EQMOD and Platesolve2 solve my problems? I already strongly dislike the HC.

Edited by MarinerDNA, 11 July 2020 - 10:19 PM.

• RickDawg likes this

#178 axlns

axlns

Vostok 1

• Loc: Novosibirsk, Russia

Posted 11 July 2020 - 10:31 PM

Got the chance to test out my new equipment (no guiding). Id only set up the eq6-r once during the day prior to last night. Just wanted to test everything out and possibly image M31 when it got high enough in the sky.

it really should not be that hard to polar align your mount.

I think your polar scope might be not well aligned with mount's RA axis. there are adjustment screws to correct this.

this can be done during daytime, just point your mount so you can see some distant small object into your polar scope (like maybe some distant antenna or electrip pole). than start rotating mount around RA axis, if your polar scope is aligned with RA axis - your distant object will stay in place. if that will not be the case and your object will move in circles while you rotate mound around RA axis - then you need to adjust the angle of polar scope with adjustment screws (there are should be 3 of them); start by adjusting each a little and check how that changes that "circles movement"; your goal is to adjust them so object will be staying in place while you rotate around RA

to make it easier for your back - extend the tripod legs on maximum - so it will be easier for you to look into polar scope. you also need to change alititude obviously because I guess your distant object will be near horizon

I think this is good tutorial how to do it - https://www.myastros...copecalibration

#179 Elephant42

Elephant42

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Posted 11 July 2020 - 10:53 PM

I'm in the southern hemisphere, in a Bortle 6 sky and suffer from age induced un-limberness so the PA scope is pretty much useless to me.  Since discovering the polar align tool in SharpCap Pro I have never looked back.  It's a 5-10 minute job once you get the hang of it and even the first time took me less than half an hour.

It's also a lot cheaper than a polemaster assuming you have a suitable camera to use with it.

-snip-Tale of woe...-snip

#180 MarinerDNA

MarinerDNA

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 12 July 2020 - 12:07 AM

it really should not be that hard to polar align your mount.

I think your polar scope might be not well aligned with mount's RA axis. there are adjustment screws to correct this.

this can be done during daytime, just point your mount so you can see some distant small object into your polar scope (like maybe some distant antenna or electrip pole). than start rotating mount around RA axis, if your polar scope is aligned with RA axis - your distant object will stay in place. if that will not be the case and your object will move in circles while you rotate mound around RA axis - then you need to adjust the angle of polar scope with adjustment screws (there are should be 3 of them); start by adjusting each a little and check how that changes that "circles movement"; your goal is to adjust them so object will be staying in place while you rotate around RA

to make it easier for your back - extend the tripod legs on maximum - so it will be easier for you to look into polar scope. you also need to change alititude obviously because I guess your distant object will be near horizon

I think this is good tutorial how to do it - https://www.myastros...copecalibration

Thanks for those tips. All I did was rotate RA until the "0" and "6" were vertical. Would this really affect my GoTo capability to be THAT off? I thought for people who were just viewing the PA didnt matter as much. You'd think that I would see Arcturus by slewing the entire area. The HC telling me M31 was below the horizon feels like a red flag? Also, would SharpCap or a Polemaster render this issue moot? Because so far I'm not feeling the built-in Polar Scope. 

#181 MarinerDNA

MarinerDNA

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 12 July 2020 - 12:09 AM

I'm in the southern hemisphere, in a Bortle 6 sky and suffer from age induced un-limberness so the PA scope is pretty much useless to me.  Since discovering the polar align tool in SharpCap Pro I have never looked back.  It's a 5-10 minute job once you get the hang of it and even the first time took me less than half an hour.

It's also a lot cheaper than a polemaster assuming you have a suitable camera to use with it.

Can SharpCap be used with the main camera (Nikon D5300)? I haven't got the guiding and won't until I prove to myself I can center on an object in GoTo. 

Edited by MarinerDNA, 12 July 2020 - 12:10 AM.

#182 Elephant42

Elephant42

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 12 July 2020 - 12:43 AM

Can SharpCap be used with the main camera (Nikon D5300)? I haven't got the guiding and won't until I prove to myself I can center on an object in GoTo. 

The current version (3.2) of SharpCap does not support DSLRs but version 3.3, currently in alpha testing, does support most DSLRs if used with the ASCOM driver discussed in this - https://www.cloudyni...on-pentax-sony/ thread.

However the current version of SC does support most guide cameras and using a guide scope/camera is perfectly ok for polar alignment.

Having said that the DSLR ASCOM driver will work with the current v3.2 of SharpCap but with a few quirks and annoyances and I believe that some people have done a successful PA using it.  The biggest problem is that as soon as you connect the camera in SC it will start taking continual exposures and never stops until the camera is disconnected.  If you can live with this then you should be able to get a successful PA without TOO many shutter clicks :/

Edited by Elephant42, 12 July 2020 - 12:49 AM.

#183 Blackbelt76

Blackbelt76

Messenger

• -----

Posted 12 July 2020 - 07:15 AM

The first problem I had was the polar scope. I spent 3 hours getting aligned. I had the correct lattitude for my area and saw nothing. Ok. I'll adjust left and right all the way. Nothing. Maybe I'm too high or low? I went all the way from 30 deg to 60 deg; lattitude, going both left and right every 2 deg;. Nothing. I determined the LED at 100% was too bright. Still nothing.

Always best to tackle problems one at a time. You may have more than one issue going on.

Polar Scope: First; the LED light IS way too bright at 100%. I run mine somewhere around 10%. At 100% you will never see Polaris. smile.gif

Now for the obvious which sounds silly, but I caught myself making this mistake when I was tired.

Did you remove the plastic cap located on the mount? This plastic cap simply snaps on/off to keep dirt out when not using the  polar scope.

..and; Do you have the the Declination axis turned 90 degrees to the RA when looking for Polaris?

There is a hole in the DEC shaft that allows light to pass thru to the Polar scope.

As mentioned earlier by others, PA is a fairly easy process with a polar scope.

Edited by Blackbelt76, 12 July 2020 - 09:50 AM.

#184 KTAZ

KTAZ

Viking 1

• Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 12 July 2020 - 09:32 AM

Did you remove the plastic cap located on the mount? This plastic cap simply snaps on/off to keep dirt our when not using the  polar scope.

..and; Do you have the the Declination axis turned 90 degrees to the RA when looking for Polaris?

There is a hole in the DEC shaft that allow light to pass thru to the Polar scope.

^This. You must have your scope rotated in RA so your OTA is basically parallel to the ground in order to see through the polar scope. I would start by resetting your scope to your proper lattitude. Something is obviously awry there.

Your time of -7:00 is correct. I set mine up indoors for testing the first day and also had a problem slewing. I would pick a star that Stellarium said was high in the sky and it would point to the ground. I found that the hand controller is very finicky about location coordinates. I used this site to get them figured out and in the right format for the HC.

https://getlatlong.net/

And, yes, I dumped the HC after just one use and now use a USB cable from my PC to run everything. Or you can get the WIFI dongel and use your smartphone/iOS device.

#185 MarinerDNA

MarinerDNA

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 12 July 2020 - 08:48 PM

Always best to tackle problems one at a time. You may have more than one issue going on.

Polar Scope: First; the LED light IS way too bright at 100%. I run mine somewhere around 10%. At 100% you will never see Polaris. smile.gif

Now for the obvious which sounds silly, but I caught myself making this mistake when I was tired.

Did you remove the plastic cap located on the mount? This plastic cap simply snaps on/off to keep dirt out when not using the  polar scope.

There is a hole in the DEC shaft that allows light to pass thru to the Polar scope.

As mentioned earlier by others, PA is a fairly easy process with a polar scope.

Yes, I even walked to the front of the mount to check. PA scope was wide open, cap was off before I even tried. I wasted A LOT of time trying to see Polaris with the LED at 100% in my research I never saw anyone mention this issue so I wasnt looking for it. I felt like 8% was almost perfect, but once I had a pinpoint star in the FOV I could up the % to 25 and still see it. My eyes adjusted I guess. 

#186 MarinerDNA

MarinerDNA

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 12 July 2020 - 09:09 PM

^This. You must have your scope rotated in RA so your OTA is basically parallel to the ground in order to see through the polar scope. I would start by resetting your scope to your proper lattitude. Something is obviously awry there.

Your time of -7:00 is correct. I set mine up indoors for testing the first day and also had a problem slewing. I would pick a star that Stellarium said was high in the sky and it would point to the ground. I found that the hand controller is very finicky about location coordinates. I used this site to get them figured out and in the right format for the HC.

https://getlatlong.net/

And, yes, I dumped the HC after just one use and now use a USB cable from my PC to run everything. Or you can get the WIFI dongel and use your smartphone/iOS device.

Thank you for the reply and the link. I will be checking that out when I'm off work.

I have the North-through-East sky to work with. What irritated me as well was the HC gave me bad options. I cycled through it and only Arcturus was especially useful. I could see Deneb, Vega, etc but didn't see those options come up on the list. I'm sure there's a list I'm not accessing on that HC. That would be silly to list 10+ stars (6 of which aren't even especially bright, or popular). Edit: Actually, they did appear once but never showed up again on the list. I'm assuming because of the time?

I never wanted to get rid of the HC asap because I thought it could have some use in remote areas but I can totally see why AstroQuest1 blew up his HC with thermite.

• KTAZ likes this

#187 KTAZ

KTAZ

Viking 1

Posted 12 July 2020 - 09:34 PM

Yes, Synta menus leave a bit to be desired. But you can find those options if you hunt around a while.

The WIFI dongle is pretty reasonable ($50-60). It gives you simple access through your cell or tablet. The Synta smartphone app is frankly more intuitive than the handset. With a tablet you can run either Stellarium or SkySafari and put the HC back in a box where it belongs.

#188 rayschilke

rayschilke

Lift Off

• Loc: Lehigh Acres Florida

Posted 12 July 2020 - 11:04 PM

First off, the eq6-r slewed very well (quietly) with no weird noises in both RA and DA. The first problem I had was the polar scope. I spent 3 hours getting aligned. I had the correct lattitude for my area and saw nothing. Ok. I'll adjust left and right all the way. Nothing. Maybe I'm too high or low? I went all the way from 30 deg to 60 deg; lattitude, going both left and right every 2 deg;. Nothing. I determined the LED at 100% was too bright. Still nothing. I repeated every position i just mentioned with the led from 4% to 90%. Nothing, and mind you its been 2 & 1/2 hours at this point. I took a 15 minute break along with 800mg of Ibuprofen. I searched my problem in google. Didnt seem this was an issue for anyone else. When I returned I think I got lucky. I saw a star at 32 deg Lattitude with the led at 8%. I got it at the 11 o'clock according to the synscaninit app. So...thats 13deg off from my lat. Could this have been a different star? On to the alignment...

I knew my focus was off by a lot, the APO being straight out of the box and everything. I took a few pictures at different focus until I got a star-field, just to get a "ball park" focus.

I made another accident after this? I chose Arcturus as my 1st alignment star. It was BLAZING in the bortle 4 sky. There's no way it won't show up on my screen. Sure enough, i slewed to it and nothing was there. I slewed left to right and up a whole frame. Took a picture. Changed my focus up and down the entire focus tube length out of frustration. At this point I accidentally pressed sync on the HC. I don't know if this messed up the rest of my night because ANYTHING I slewed to the rest of the night was not showing up on screen.

It's 2AM by now and I know by looking at Stellarium that Andromeda was well above the horizon. Just to test the HC out, I punched in M31 and it tells me its "Below the Horizon!"....No...it's not. I finally just manually pushed the scope to Jupiter and took a shot out of frustration. At this point it's 3:30AM and I'm done. Time to tear down.

I must say I was pretty hacked. The polar scope doesn't concern me much because that thing is going back in the box and I can get a polemaster. Was that even Polaris in the scope? The only star of note that was nearby was Alderamin, but it didn't look like the mount was pointed that far left. I don't know. Is any of what I described normal, the 8% LED, the 32 deg; lattitude despite being at 45 deg; for Portland, OR? Maybe I just have trouble seeing it in a see of red, IDK...

What concerns me is the GoTo. If my PA was correct then I've got a problem.

I entered in the following during setup:

-Correct LAT/LONG
-Time Zone: -07:00...Synscaninit says 8:00 but all other searches said -7:00. There were 4 digit spaces, too (00:00). Did I enter that correctly?
-

Daylight Savings: YES
-Sidereal Rate
-Correct date & time

Would ditching the HC and installing EQMOD and Platesolve2 solve my problems? I already strongly dislike the HC.

First off let's address the polar scope. Get an app that tells you where Polaris should be for your location. It will show a pic of where to put Polaris in the polar scope pattern (like a clock). Next, start at the park position with the mount turned off(no light) you should be able to see Polaris and your "circle" without the light. Get Polaris close to where you need it.

Next. Start Sharp cap pro and get at least 5 stars showing with your camera in Sharp cap and use the polar align tool. 5 minutes later you will be in the excellent pa area. Put the mount back to home position.

Next. Power on the mount, open stellarium, eqmod should autostart, and slew to a target in stellarium. Center the target in the crosshairs in Sharp cap then go back to stellarium and push ctrl shift 1 to calibrate the mount to stellarium. Do 4 to 5 targets and center the mount each time.

Next. Enjoy your night and slew all over the sky.

Finally....most important....join a group on fb that is eq6r pro related and ask for help. You will get tons of assistance. Eq6 mount users group got me all squared away in a few posts. Also people will be willing to live pm with you to help. Like me.

#189 KTAZ

KTAZ

Viking 1

Posted 12 July 2020 - 11:21 PM

First off let's address the polar scope. Get an app that tells you where Polaris should be for your location. It will show a pic of where to put Polaris in the polar scope pattern (like a clock). Next, start at the park position with the mount turned off(no light) you should be able to see Polaris and your "circle" without the light. Get Polaris close to where you need it.

Next. Start Sharp cap pro and get at least 5 stars showing with your camera in Sharp cap and use the polar align tool. 5 minutes later you will be in the excellent pa area. Put the mount back to home position.

Next. Power on the mount, open stellarium, eqmod should autostart, and slew to a target in stellarium. Center the target in the crosshairs in Sharp cap then go back to stellarium and push ctrl shift 1 to calibrate the mount to stellarium. Do 4 to 5 targets and center the mount each time.

Finally....most important....join a group on fb that is eq6r pro related and ask for help. You will get tons of assistance. Eq6 mount users group got me all squared away in a few posts. Also people will be willing to live pm with you to help. Like me.

SharpCap requires 15 stars and a minimum field of view between 1 and 2.5 degrees, but, more importantly, you need to be aligned within 5 degrees of the pole or it will fail to plate solve. OP does not feel he is even close at this point. If that is the case then SharpCap is of no use until his fundamental problems are corrected.

#190 MarinerDNA

MarinerDNA

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 12 July 2020 - 11:34 PM

Thanks for the reply and offer to help through PM. I'll also check out a FB group.

I mentioned earlier using Synscaninit app for the PA "clock." I just realized that app has two different Polar Scope views and was using one that matched up older Synta mounts. Also, I'm thinking of DL another PA app to check against Synscaninit. Regardless, I did put Polaris at the 11'oclock position. I'll get the PA scope calibrated just to eliminate that part of the problem.

SharpCap, as indicated by a poster above, won't work with my DSLR (also, I'm not guiding yet). I'll ditch both the PA scope and the HC and use EQMOD at a sooner-than-later date. Thanks again for your PM offer I really appreciate that smile.gif

Edited by MarinerDNA, 12 July 2020 - 11:36 PM.

• rayschilke likes this

#191 rayschilke

rayschilke

Lift Off

Posted 13 July 2020 - 06:22 AM

SharpCap requires 15 stars and a minimum field of view between 1 and 2.5 degrees, but, more importantly, you need to be aligned within 5 degrees of the pole or it will fail to plate solve. OP does not feel he is even close at this point. If that is the case then SharpCap is of no use until his fundamental problems are corrected.

I start PA right at dusk when polaris is barely visible. I get 5 stars in sharpcap pro before it will let me even hit "next". That is when I use my polar scope to get close. A few minutes later I get the green button and off I go. I imagine within a couple minutes I have 15 at least so "5" stars is the actual starting point for me even tho it does take more to solve. I am curious as to what telescope is being used. If it is a non light friendly scope that is out of focus stars will not be seen nor very easy to find. This is definitely the case with an 8"SCT or the like. If not focused you can try all night and never see a single star. A cheap guide scope and cheap dedicated astro camera were the solution for me. I got a bigger piece of the sky to work with and a faster little scope to grab light. When I tried to align with my first mount and an AVX 8"SCT combination it was truly a frustrating event. Sharpcap for me was worth the 15 bucks a year and the price of a ZWO mini and 100 dollar guide scope. My misunderstanding of his equipment and issues is a good example of why to get into a FB group to have instant access to other owners to help. I found some help in CN site but got my most useful help after joining a group that I could PM other owners real time.  

#192 rayschilke

rayschilke

Lift Off

Posted 13 July 2020 - 06:24 AM

Thanks for the reply and offer to help through PM. I'll also check out a FB group.

I mentioned earlier using Synscaninit app for the PA "clock." I just realized that app has two different Polar Scope views and was using one that matched up older Synta mounts. Also, I'm thinking of DL another PA app to check against Synscaninit. Regardless, I did put Polaris at the 11'oclock position. I'll get the PA scope calibrated just to eliminate that part of the problem.

SharpCap, as indicated by a poster above, won't work with my DSLR (also, I'm not guiding yet). I'll ditch both the PA scope and the HC and use EQMOD at a sooner-than-later date. Thanks again for your PM offer I really appreciate that smile.gif

What telescope are you using?

#193 MarinerDNA

MarinerDNA

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 13 July 2020 - 10:07 PM

Just checked my polar scope in the daytime. It looks dead-on. Other than the fact the scope shakes around a little the cross point isn't moving off target through a full rotation of the RA axis. Crap. I was hoping it would be way off and that was the source of all my problems. I took photos of 4 different RA positions but the files are "too big." I compressed all of them but only 1 showed up. Any easy fixes for that?20200713_192625.jpg

Ready to try this again, can't wait for darkness.

#194 MarinerDNA

MarinerDNA

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 13 July 2020 - 11:12 PM

What telescope are you using?

Meade 6000 80mm Triplet APO. 

My focus tonight will be on PA and the hand controller. Double checking everything. I dont know that it makes a huge difference but when I use -7:00 for timezone and hit YES for daylight savings time the mount subtracts another hour. So tonight I will be changing that to -8:00. I'll double check the rest of the settings and just use exactly what Synscannit tells me (except for elevation, which doesnt look accurate at all). Might just do a reset and start again. 

#195 kel123

kel123

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 July 2020 - 11:13 PM

Perhaps you can just turn off the led and turn it back on when you see Polaris. But I guess you are able to eyeball polaris.

#196 rayschilke

rayschilke

Lift Off

Posted 13 July 2020 - 11:44 PM

Meade 6000 80mm Triplet APO. 

My focus tonight will be on PA and the hand controller. Double checking everything. I dont know that it makes a huge difference but when I use -7:00 for timezone and hit YES for daylight savings time the mount subtracts another hour. So tonight I will be changing that to -8:00. I'll double check the rest of the settings and just use exactly what Synscannit tells me (except for elevation, which doesnt look accurate at all). Might just do a reset and start again. 

Synscannit showed an odd number for my elevation too. 32 meters in Florida.....maybe if I was on top of a condo building lol. My time zone in florida is -4 hours and dLst. One hour off can make a huge difference. Good luck.

#197 philinbris

philinbris

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 14 July 2020 - 02:59 AM

Hi All,

I know this is an EQ6 forum, but I own an AZEQ6.

I have not found a similar forum for the AZ.

Does anyone know of one, or is it reasonable to post questions for the AZEQ6 here?

Cheers

#198 MarinerDNA

MarinerDNA

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 14 July 2020 - 05:50 AM

Tonight was a significant improvement across the board. I was much more relaxed and actually had a lot of fun, compared with the other night and its frustrations.

I was able to PA in under 10 minutes. I don't know what happened the first time, but that 32 deg latitude I mentioned wasn't accurate at all. Maybe I picked up a really dim star and confused it with Polaris. This time around started much the same for a few minutes but I was thinking much clearer and 32 deg looked low. I adjusted the LAT up to 49 deg and Polaris flew into my FOV. I was so happy. First thing I noticed was how bright this white dot was compared to the other day. Now I get why this is easy. I made sure to mark the ground and note the LAT. Next time this will take me 5 min flat. On to the HC and star alignment...

Like I mentioned earlier today I changed the timezone and adjusted the LAT/LONG minutes and elevation. (By the way, D/L the "My Elevation" app; It's really quick and accurate). 

The star alignment process for Synta wants stars that are far apart. I think they're grouped together by sky area because when I kept cycling through the options I got the stars I was looking for. Another small victory. I picked the first one NE-ish, Caph, in Cassiopeia. I saw three stars on screen and a fourth as I scrolled left. This group of stars didn't look exactly like what I see on a star map so I was too chicken-S to sync with the one I thought could be Caph. I pressed ESC and tried another star, this time Deneb. Same deal. The scope looked like it was pointing at it, but I got confused by seeing multiple stars on screen. I decided to back off the focus until the dimmer ones dissapeared, leaving only the brighter target star but this didnt work. They all disappeared and appeared together...and it wasn't obvious which ones were brighter. I slewed to my object target (M31...this time not below the horizon!) for fun and took a 1-minute exposure. Of course it didn't show up, but I got a nice starfield I can platesolve later. I then packed up for the night. Man, if M31 somehow magically appeared in that sub I would have exploded with joy.

I'm really encouraged by tonight. But before I inevitably ditch the HC for platesolving I'm going to order a green laser. Yes, I know lasers are largely frowned upon here, but one could have really helped me. I would have known which stars to sync and maybe even got to my target. Just until I sync a few stars and then I'll box it.

About those starfields. I'll try and export/upload them from Astrophotography Tool so maybe someone here could help me see if I was close to my alignment targets.

Edited by MarinerDNA, 14 July 2020 - 06:01 AM.

#199 Elephant42

Elephant42

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 14 July 2020 - 06:01 AM

Glad you are getting a handle on your EQ6.

About your images - no need to upload them here - upload them to this link and they will be platesolved online - https://nova.astrometry.net/upload

Edited by Elephant42, 14 July 2020 - 06:01 AM.

#200 rayschilke

rayschilke

Lift Off

Posted 14 July 2020 - 06:11 AM

Hi All,

I know this is an EQ6 forum, but I own an AZEQ6.

I have not found a similar forum for the AZ.

Does anyone know of one, or is it reasonable to post questions for the AZEQ6 here?

Cheers

There is a very helpful group on facebook that is for AZEQ6 users as well as eq6r users. It is on there and can be found in the group search tab as:

EQ6 mount Users Group. AZ-EQ 6 and HEQ5 too.

Just answer the questions and ask to join. Almost 2000 members all of which are very helpful.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eq, mount, star party

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics