•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The Tak fc76 thread

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#76 bbyrd

bbyrd

Messenger

• Loc: Inner Banks NC

Posted 13 April 2020 - 02:20 PM

The Borg rings are still available part number 7085 not 7080. Hope this helps.

Mike

I tried to order these last year and told no longer available. If that is no longer true please post back. Thanks!

#77 shaesavage

shaesavage

Vostok 1

• Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada

Posted 13 April 2020 - 07:22 PM

I tried to order these last year and told no longer available. If that is no longer true please post back. Thanks!

I contacted Ted at Hutech today and he confirmed they are no longer available. frown.gif

#78 Jsquared

Jsquared

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Duncan, Ok

Posted 24 April 2020 - 05:48 PM

Several inquiries re replacement focuser for the fc76. The link below is the lightweight starlight focuser discussed in one of the review articles.

http://starlightinst...t&product_id=60

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#79 HfxObserver

HfxObserver

Apollo

• ****-
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 24 April 2020 - 07:57 PM

So it's not that I like or don't like the Tak focusers or any other focuser for that reason, it's just that after I used the Feathertouch (FT) that's all I wanted to use. I observe in conditions from -40C to +40C and enjoy large heavy eyepieces....I've never used anything that works so well, essentially no differences in usage in the FT's at either end of the extremes.

So I own both LW & Standard FT's. The LW is on my ultimate travel scope a FS60 and it serves this purpose very well, however, if making the scope as portable as possible isn't your goal then save the ~$30 and get the standard. The LW focus knobs feel smaller, less substantial and it doesn't rotate. Also, after ~3 years flying and driving the scope down a thousand miles of washboard dirt road the screws came loose that attach the focuser to the dapter and I had to retighten it. On the other hand the standard FT, which has never flown, but has been down something closer to 100,000 miles of road, still performs exactly like new, and the knobs feel a little bigger or at least feel more solid.  Thinks of the 2025 FT as the Heinz® Ketchup of focusers, Wayne got the recipe right the first time.

• pisces4 likes this

#80 shaesavage

shaesavage

Vostok 1

Posted 04 May 2020 - 10:01 PM

My FC76-DCU arrived last week! Weather has been marginal, but I did get first light with it on Saturday. A friend lent me his q extender because mine is on backorder. First indications are this is an amazing telescope. Seeing was okay, but I still pushed it 346x using my 0.965 Takahashi 2.8mm hi-ortho. No image breakdown, it was an incredible view of the Moon.  I do not recall lunar detail being that easy to see. It was a great session and I’m looking forward to many more!

• HfxObserver, eros312 and The Luckster like this

#81 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Aurora

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 05 May 2020 - 09:55 AM

I also own this scope and currently my highest mag eyepiece is a 2.5mm Nagler with 228X.  But this Tak can take higher mags on the moon and double stars, so I have also been thinking of getting the extender CQ for it.  At $400 not too outrageously priced for a Tak accessory of this type.

Bill

• Tyson M likes this

#82 barbie

barbie

Apollo

• Loc: Northeast Ohio

Posted 05 May 2020 - 01:24 PM

I've had my Tak dcu+CQ up to 292x on the moon and doubles. The extender is a very worthwhile investment which makes an already fantastic scope even better!!

#83 desertlens

desertlens

Surveyor 1

• Loc: 36°N 105°W

Posted 05 May 2020 - 03:21 PM

Bored in isolation so here's a fresh image of the same FC-76DCU I posted earlier with a turret, this time with a Baader T2 BBHS diagonal. I'm still on the fence regarding the Q-module.

FC76DCU.jpg

• eros312, John O'Grady, StarDust1 and 2 others like this

#84 N-1

N-1

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 05 May 2020 - 04:41 PM

Bored in isolation so here's a fresh image of the same FC-76DCU I posted earlier with a turret, this time with a Baader T2 BBHS diagonal. I'm still on the fence regarding the Q-module.

attachicon.gifFC76DCU.jpg

Was thinking about the Q Module as well, until I got an XO2.5 and HR2.0. That settled the question. Just no need.

#85 213Cobra

213Cobra

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles, California, USA

Posted 06 May 2020 - 01:14 AM

Was thinking about the Q Module as well, until I got an XO2.5 and HR2.0. That settled the question. Just no need.

The benefit is the flat field in addition to optical extension, which also lessens the load on the eyepiece. -Phil

#86 Chinapig

Chinapig

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: South Coast, UK

Posted 07 May 2020 - 10:05 AM

Had my FC-76 DCU for about a year and a half now.  A superb scope, giving extremely sharp views, as many of you have discovered!  Bought the CQ 1.7 extender to go with it, and with that option in place, the views are even better, particularly for lunar.  And recently, I've also been enjoying the globulars with that format.  I've been so impressed with the wee Tak, that I couldn't resist a second-hand FS-60C that popped up in the UK a few months back.  It's also compatible with the CQ module, so that now gives me a huge choice of focal lengths - 355, 570, 600 & 969.  The f10 configuration of the FS-60 is also stunningly sharp.  And after a little experiment, I discovered that an old Meade .63x focal reducer I had also works great with the FS-60 for some widefield AP, at theoretically f3.7.

I love the way I can be up and running in my garden, with either Tak, within a few minutes of thinking about it.  I use the FC-76 on a Manfrotto tripod with fluid head for travel, or on a SW EQ5 for photography & more stable visual - especially if it's windy, which it often is along the nearby coast.

One of the best responses I had to observing with the FC-76 was at an outreach event last year.  Our local club had around 15 scopes set up.  One couple came back several times during the evening, saying that they thought the 76 gave the sharpest views of any of the scopes they'd looked through - Dobs, Maks, SCTs and other refractors.  I didn't quite agree, as I thought the view through a guy's 130mm triplet was probably a shade better!

So yeah, loving my little Taks!

• coopman, eros312, shaesavage and 3 others like this

#87 barbie

barbie

Apollo

• Loc: Northeast Ohio

Posted 07 May 2020 - 10:10 AM

Two things I love about my 76mm Taks... outstanding optics and easy to set up on a moment's notice!!

• rerun and shaesavage like this

#88 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Aurora

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 09 May 2020 - 09:43 AM

Yes, absolutely!

Bill

#89 Jsquared

Jsquared

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 May 2020 - 10:12 AM

Anybody tried the Tak focal reducer with their 76 ?
I calculate a 6.3 degree field of view with a Nagler 31 using it.
I’m thinking about getting a televue night vision setup and using the reducer for rich field viewing.

• shaesavage likes this

#90 starryhtx

starryhtx

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 24 May 2020 - 12:17 PM

attachicon.gifFC76DCU.jpg

Isn't there a risk in using a laser as a finder in case you hit a plane with it or a helicopter?

#91 desertlens

desertlens

Surveyor 1

• Loc: 36°N 105°W

Posted 24 May 2020 - 01:23 PM

Isn't there a risk in using a laser as a finder in case you hit a plane with it or a helicopter?

Not in my location which is remote and nowhere near an airport. I also check the sky for aircraft running lights before activating the laser. It is rarely on for more than 5 seconds. Planes at cruise altitude are safe from harm. Problems arise when they are low as in takeoff and landing. The laser pointer is my preferred aiming device but I'm careful with it.

#92 shaesavage

shaesavage

Vostok 1

Posted 24 May 2020 - 05:55 PM

Anybody tried the Tak focal reducer with their 76 ?
I calculate a 6.3 degree field of view with a Nagler 31 using it.
I’m thinking about getting a televue night vision setup and using the reducer for rich field viewing.

6.3 degrees would be amazing for visual work. I’m hoping someone can respond to your question. 

#93 Jsquared

Jsquared

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 May 2020 - 06:50 PM

6.3 degrees would be amazing for visual work. I’m hoping someone can respond to your question.

Yeah I’m not sure if it will vignette. Sent email to tak. But that’s what the numbers work out to with f 5.5 ie focal length of 418.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics