•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The Tak fc76 thread

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#126 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Gemini

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 07 January 2021 - 09:38 PM

Still dreaming of the FC-76

I know I always thought I prefer the older late 80's FC-76  and I guess I  still do

But there are some who really love their newer lighter more portable FC-76 models

Searching around    this thread is a good winter's read

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 07 January 2021 - 10:41 PM.

• Terra Nova and teashea like this

#127 barbie

barbie

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Northeast Ohio

Posted 07 January 2021 - 09:48 PM

The older FC76 and the new FC76 models are incredible scopes for their apertures. I only sold mine because it needed a cg4 class EQ mount that became too much for me to handle due to physical disabilities. Getting old can really suck at times!!

Edited by barbie, 07 January 2021 - 09:49 PM.

• paul m schofield, Defenderslideguitar and teashea like this

#128 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Gemini

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 07 January 2021 - 10:40 PM

Yes  agreed  

Both had great optics.So you sold the older one and kept the new model FC-76 because it was lighter and easier to manage... It makes sense 

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 07 January 2021 - 10:40 PM.

#129 barbie

barbie

Surveyor 1

Posted 07 January 2021 - 11:26 PM

Actually, I sold both because they required EQ mounts and the mount with counterweight became too heavy for me to haul around. Just have a 4.5" F4 Newt/Dob and a 90mm Maksutov now. I've found that these two instruments meet my modest observing needs better now that I have physical disabilities and my observing habits have changed drastically over the last year due to those physical limitations I now face. I do feel quite privileged and lucky to have been able to own and extensively use scopes from Takahashi and Astro-physics but have since moved on. I consider my self blessed to still be able to observe albeit with more modest and lighter weight scopes now!!

Edited by barbie, 07 January 2021 - 11:27 PM.

• Scott in NC, payner, paul m schofield and 1 other like this

#130 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 07 January 2021 - 11:33 PM

Actually, I sold both because they required EQ mounts and the mount with counterweight became too heavy for me to haul around.

Okay, now you’ve got me curious.  Why do you say that the FC-76 scopes that you had required equatorial mounts?  I can think of no more enjoyable way to use a small refractor than panning around the sky on a small, manual alt-az mount.

• Terra Nova, Tyson M and teashea like this

#131 RadioAstronomer

RadioAstronomer

Ranger 4

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 08 January 2021 - 01:00 AM

Okay, now you’ve got me curious.  Why do you say that the FC-76 scopes that you had required equatorial mounts?  I can think of no more enjoyable way to use a small refractor than panning around the sky on a small, manual alt-az mount.

Agreed. My FC-76DCU works great on a SV M1V mount.

Attached Thumbnails

• Screen Shot 2021-01-07 at 10.58.21 PM.jpg

• 3 i Guy, payner, rerun and 4 others like this

#132 Tyson M

Tyson M

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 08 January 2021 - 01:29 AM

A Vixen porta II mount or Orion VersaGo II mount would be ideal for a Tak 76 I would think.  Or an M1 like above.

But one does not need a tak to enjoy the night sky.  A 4.5" F4 Newt/Dob and a 90mm Maksutov are two effective scopes that get a lot of praise.  

There is an ongoing thread, one of the largest I think called "Something for nothing" in the Cats forum about the 90mm mak.  It is full of people who sing their praises.

Edited by Tyson M, 08 January 2021 - 01:32 AM.

• barbie, Defenderslideguitar and teashea like this

#133 teashea

teashea

Apollo

• Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA

Posted 08 January 2021 - 12:41 PM

A Vixen porta II mount or Orion VersaGo II mount would be ideal for a Tak 76 I would think.  Or an M1 like above.

But one does not need a tak to enjoy the night sky.  A 4.5" F4 Newt/Dob and a 90mm Maksutov are two effective scopes that get a lot of praise.  

There is an ongoing thread, one of the largest I think called "Something for nothing" in the Cats forum about the 90mm mak.  It is full of people who sing their praises.I

I have ordered an FC76DS and have also ordered a Vixen Porta II mount.  It will be interesting to see if this combination works.  I have also ordered a Vixen SX2 when more stability is needed.  However, I suspect that for just having some informal fun, the Porta II might work out well.

#134 barbie

barbie

Surveyor 1

Posted 08 January 2021 - 09:26 PM

You're right Tyson!! I had other reasons for parting with the Taks, the biggest of which was that I couldn't justify keeping expensive gear for use only 3 or 4 months out of a year given my local sky conditions here in Ne. Ohio! My second most favorite scopes are Maksutovs and the faster Newtonian for easily finding the brighter DSO's.  I've been doing astronomy for just over 50 years and have been extremely lucky to have seen and experienced much beauty in the night sky through commercially made and homebuilt telescopes of refracting, reflecting, and catadioptric designs that were all exemplary and a privilege to use and enjoy for the time that I had them!!  Now that I'm in the twilight of my observing years, my requirements are now more modest and realistic for the amount and duration of my observing sessions!!smile.gif

• Defenderslideguitar and N-1 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics