•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Explore Scientific 30mm 82degree Size

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 mfoose

mfoose

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Lancaster, PA

Posted 27 March 2020 - 03:31 PM

Hey everyone,

With being under lockdown here, state government just ordered "stay-at-home" for my county, I have some time on my hands. One thing I am doing is going through my eyepiece case. I plan on upgrading from a TeleVue Widefield 32mm to an ES 30mm 82degree. I already have a foam case with room, but I do not have the exact dimensions of the ES 30mm 82deg. I was hoping that someone could give me the physical height and width of the ES 30mm 82deg so I can approximate how big it will be in my case. 

Clear skies,

Michael

#2 B 26354

B 26354

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California semi-desert (NELM mag 5.3)

Posted 27 March 2020 - 03:51 PM

https://explorescien...roducts/82-30mm

Under "Specs":

Length 131mm
Width 82mm

grin.gif

• mfoose likes this

#3 mfoose

mfoose

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 March 2020 - 04:27 PM

LOL I went there first and I must have glazed over it. lol.gif

Thanks!

#4 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 27 March 2020 - 04:53 PM

The body is tapered top and bottom so you will want to wait until you have it to cut the slot.

Jon

• mfoose and havasman like this

#5 droid

droid

rocketman

• Loc: Conneaut, Ohio

Posted 27 March 2020 - 05:03 PM

right three, 30 ES is between the 30T2 and the 35 Pan

Attached Thumbnails

• 91049544_10220883708309743_3441596545990918144_obbbbb.jpg

• mfoose likes this

#6 mfoose

mfoose

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 March 2020 - 08:04 PM

The body is tapered top and bottom so you will want to wait until you have it to cut the slot.

Jon

Thanks Jon. I am working with a pick and pluck foam case. The plan is to find the best spot for the ES 30mm 82* and then pluck the foam in that area to fit my TV 32mm Widefield as a temporary place holder. So now, I am just trying to map out the best spot to put it. The TV 32mm Widefield is much smaller in comparison, 4" in length and around 2.25" wide. Once I get the ES 30mm 82* I'll just pluck out the rest needed. 

I'm using the Apache 4800 (Harbor Freight) case.

The open slot is the TV 10mm Radian that I am upgrading to a TV 10mm Delos. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 91290005_212300293201599_9188913591548379136_n-min.jpg

Edited by mfoose, 27 March 2020 - 08:04 PM.

• eros312 likes this

#7 nva

nva

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 27 March 2020 - 08:58 PM

The slot for the eyepiece is 3 then 5 (wide) x 6 (tall) then 3x2.

Diagram X's plucked and O'x in place.

oxxxo

xxxxx

xxxxx

xxxxx

xxxxx

xxxxx

xxxxx

oxxxo

oxxxo

I can also share a picture if it helps but its hard to see the individual squares.

Edited by nva, 27 March 2020 - 09:08 PM.

• epee, mfoose and 25585 like this

#8 jakecru

jakecru

Apollo

• Loc: Northern Nevada, USA

Posted 27 March 2020 - 09:23 PM

oxxxo

xxxxx

xxxxx

xxxxx

xxxxx

xxxxx

xxxxx

oxxxo

oxxxo

I can also share a picture if it helps but its hard to see the individual squares.

Nice. 

#9 imtl

imtl

Viking 1

Posted 27 March 2020 - 10:20 PM

oxxxo

xxxxx

xxxxx

xxxxx

xxxxx

xxxxx

xxxxx

oxxxo

oxxxo

This looks like a globular cluster lol.gif

#10 Darkskyaz

Darkskyaz

Vostok 1

Posted 27 March 2020 - 10:34 PM

Explore Scientific eyepieces come in such nice boxes that I just keep them in their boxes. I don't have the heart to get rid of works of art. 

• 25585 likes this

#11 B 26354

B 26354

Apollo

• -----

Posted 28 March 2020 - 01:33 AM

I keep the boxes too... but I use them for other things like gyroscopes and Spinthariscopes and and solar-finders and adapters and.... grin.gif

#12 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 28 March 2020 - 02:22 AM

Explore Scientific eyepieces come in such nice boxes that I just keep them in their boxes. I don't have the heart to get rid of works of art. 

I find the ES boxes to be fantastic for shipping, but highly impractical for daily use, because they're so large. 

And that black handbag they make for the ES92? Worst idea ever. When you bring the eyepiece in, moisture in the air can pass right through it and condensate on the eyepiece. The whole bag is dripping wet after a few minutes and it takes far longer for the eyepiece to dry up, because now that the moisture is inside the bag, there is no airflow to dry it up. 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

• Corcaroli78 and Jond105 like this

#13 25585

Cosmos

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 28 March 2020 - 06:40 AM

I find the ES boxes to be fantastic for shipping, but highly impractical for daily use, because they're so large. 

And that black handbag they make for the ES92? Worst idea ever. When you bring the eyepiece in, moisture in the air can pass right through it and condensate on the eyepiece. The whole bag is dripping wet after a few minutes and it takes far longer for the eyepiece to dry up, because now that the moisture is inside the bag, there is no airflow to dry it up. 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

Good as a sunglasses case for the car though cool.gif

• Astrojensen likes this

#14 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 28 March 2020 - 07:18 AM

Good as a sunglasses case for the car though cool.gif

Good thought! Looks classy, too. I'm going to use my ES eyepiece bag for my sunglasses now. 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

#15 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 28 March 2020 - 07:29 AM

Thanks Jon. I am working with a pick and pluck foam case. The plan is to find the best spot for the ES 30mm 82* and then pluck the foam in that area to fit my TV 32mm Widefield as a temporary place holder. So now, I am just trying to map out the best spot to put it. The TV 32mm Widefield is much smaller in comparison, 4" in length and around 2.25" wide. Once I get the ES 30mm 82* I'll just pluck out the rest needed.

Sounds like a good plan.  I have a 32mm TV WF and the 31mm Nagler which is very similar in size to the 30mm ES. 

My suggestion is to keep the 32mm Wide Field. For a number of years, it was my best, low power, widefield eyepiece but when I was able to buy a 35mm Panoptic, I gave the 32mm WF to a school because it seemed like the 35mm Panoptic was better in every way. On paper, it is. 

But there's something about the 32mm WF that is very special, I think it's that 36mm eye lens that provides a generous and comfy amount of eye relief, I call it the Big Easy View.   

So, I ended up buying another one.  It's also nice because it weighs half as much as the ES-30mm/31mm Nagler.  I mostly use it in my backyard.

Jon 

• mfoose and B 26354 like this

#16 mfoose

mfoose

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 28 March 2020 - 10:09 AM

Sounds like a good plan.  I have a 32mm TV WF and the 31mm Nagler which is very similar in size to the 30mm ES. 

My suggestion is to keep the 32mm Wide Field. For a number of years, it was my best, low power, widefield eyepiece but when I was able to buy a 35mm Panoptic, I gave the 32mm WF to a school because it seemed like the 35mm Panoptic was better in every way. On paper, it is. 

But there's something about the 32mm WF that is very special, I think it's that 36mm eye lens that provides a generous and comfy amount of eye relief, I call it the Big Easy View.   

So, I ended up buying another one.  It's also nice because it weighs half as much as the ES-30mm/31mm Nagler.  I mostly use it in my backyard.

Jon 

Besides what you describe as the "big easy view", I do love the size and weight of the 32mm TV WF. Very much a plug and play eyepiece. No fussing around with it to perfectly balance the scope or position your eye over it just right. It is a very enjoyable eyepiece.

• Jon Isaacs and B 26354 like this

#17 mfoose

mfoose

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 28 March 2020 - 10:21 AM

oxxxo

xxxxx

xxxxx

xxxxx

xxxxx

xxxxx

xxxxx

oxxxo

oxxxo

Thanks for the visual. I updated it to show how I plan to switch from a 32mm TV WF to a 30mm 82* ES. I need to keep the full size in mind, pluck out the area needed for 32mm TV WF, which I made red. Then when I acquire the 30mm ES 82* pluck out those in blue. 

oxxxo

xxxxx

xxxxx

xxxxx

xxxxx

xxxxx

xxxxx

oxxxo

oxxxo

Like I stated before, I just need to keep the full size in mind so I don't come to close to existing EPs and leave enough room for future purchases. I don't plan on purchasing other EPs for this case, but I may add my filters to this case. Not sure on that yet. 

#18 nva

nva

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 28 March 2020 - 11:49 AM

Good thought! Looks classy, too. I'm going to use my ES eyepiece bag for my sunglasses now. 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

So you actually use the bag for the larger eyepieces as a secondary mirror cover, that is if you have a dob that needs one.

Edited by nva, 28 March 2020 - 11:49 AM.

#19 dave brock

dave brock

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Hamilton, New Zealand

Posted 28 March 2020 - 04:52 PM

And don't place it over the secondary until the next morning when it's at ambient temperature and dry.

#20 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

• Loc: British Columbia Canada

Posted 28 March 2020 - 05:36 PM

It's big.. Really big!

But it's a beauty.....

Attached Thumbnails

• EXPLORE82.jpg

• Midnight Skies, eros312 and Blueox4 like this

#21 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Skylab

• Loc: California, USA

Posted 29 March 2020 - 10:11 AM

Here is size comparison shot:

large.jpg

large.jpg

Here is around 30mm eyepiece shot:

large.jpg

Tammy

• SteveG, Illinois, eros312 and 1 other like this

#22 Achernar

Achernar

Voyager 1

• Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA

Posted 29 March 2020 - 10:30 AM

I have one of these eyepieces, which truly is a glass grenade but delivers very nice views, especially through my 10 and 15-inch F/4.5 Dobs. It will take in the entire Pleiades star cluster with space to spare all around it. You'll enjoy it very much under dark skies.

Taras

#23 25585

Cosmos

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 30 March 2020 - 05:51 AM

That 30/100 3" makes all the other behemoths seem small!  

• Achernar and SteveG like this

#24 B 26354

B 26354

Apollo

• -----

Posted 17 April 2020 - 12:24 PM

A little follow-up to post #15....

Three-plus years ago, when I got my ES 102CF refractor, I also eventually got five ES eyepieces for it, including the 68° 40mm... only to discover that, as my only 2" eyepiece, using it was more trouble than it was worth. Along with having to remove-or-reinsert the 2"/1.25" adapter, it also involved having to drastically re-balance the scope, before and after each use. Consequently, I only ended up using it about three times.

Once I started using the ES refractor for AP though, I de-forked my trusty C8, put it on an un-motorized Orion SkyView Pro EQ, and began using it for visual while my ES was busy taking photos. But the eyepieces I'd been using for the past forty-three years with the C8 are all as old as it is... so once I'd started using the more wide-field 1.25" ES eyepieces with it, I quickly got spoiled (the two original Celestron Kellners have AFOVs of only 34.4° for the 40mm and 43.0° for the 25mm), and started wondering about the possibility of putting a 2" visual back on it.

Reading Jon Isaacs' post #15 is what convinced me to seriously consider the 2" visual-back project though... because of his mention of the relative light weight of his TeleVue 32mm Wide Field. It also got me thinking that if I had two 2" eyepieces, I'd be more likely to use them... especially with the C8's much shorter moment-arm (hopefully) creating less need for drastic re-balancing. Amazingly, just a day or so later, I found (and bought) a TV 32 WF in excellent condition on eBay... and for a great price!  grin.gif

Of course, attaching a 2" visual-back to the '77 C8 turned out to be every bit as problematic as I'd anticipated (there aren't any currently-commercially-made ones that have the same threading)... but thanks to input from C-N member "B l a k S t a r", I was able to accomplish it.

Back to the long-focal-length wide-field eyepieces... it turns out that the ES 40mm 68° and the ES 30mm 82° are almost identical in size and weight. Here's a relative-size comparison, between the three:

ES 40mm 68° -- Length: 130mm, Width: 80mm, Weight: 35.2 oz

ES 30mm 82° -- Length: 131mm, Width: 82mm, Weight: 35.5 oz

TV 30mm 65° -- Length: 100mm, Width: 55mm, Weight: 17.6 oz (Half the weight of the other two)

... and here's what the ES 40mm and the TV 32mm look like, side-by-side:

ES 40mm vs TV 32mm.jpg

Best of all, the clouds and rain actually held off here for a couple of days, so last night I was finally able to put my efforts to the test... and it was a resounding success! As I'd hoped, the whole balance/re-balance/re-re-balance issue disappeared, due to the C8's shorter tube. I was able to switch back-and-forth from using the heavy 2" eyepieces to the lighter 1.25" ones without having to re-position the counterweights at all!

But aside from the balance issue... the biggest question in my mind had been whether or not I'd end up having unacceptable vignetting with the 2" eyepieces, due to the older C8's rear opening not having been designed for use with them. Much to my surprise and delight, there was none!

And the wide-field views through the C8 with the 40mm (68° AFOV) and the 32mm (65° AFOV) are so much more immersive. Absolutely wonderful.

banjodance.gif    woot.gif

So THANKS for the tip on the TV 32mm WF and its "Big Easy View", Jon!   waytogo.gif

biggrin.png

• eros312, areyoukiddingme, mfoose and 2 others like this

#25 CollinofAlabama

CollinofAlabama

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Lubbock, Texas, USA

Posted 17 April 2020 - 06:10 PM

Well, there's got to be a devil's advocate somewhere, so here I come.  Michael, (mfoose), have you thought about the APM 30mm Ultra Flat Field?  Don't let the specs fool you, the 38mm field stop isn't that far behind the 34mm ES 68 degree (38.6mm fs), so, although it will certainly have less True Field of View than the ES 30mm 82 degree, it weighs just under 20 ounces!  That's a WHOLE lot less.  Probably less than the old TV Widefield, and certainly a wider field, and I'd bet better transmission from the several decades-more-modern coatings.  Don't know what scope you plan to use this in, but I am, personally, not interested in owning an eyepiece that weighs over 2 pounds.  I simply am not interesting in re-balancing my scopes for such a beast.  I like the view through other people's scopes, but I let them deal with the balance headaches -- I like looking at the heavens, and using more than one eyepiece to do so.  But to each his own, for sure.  I won't own and eyepiece that brings to the table its own set of mounting issues;  I don't care what it does.  Again, that's my feeling, and it's clearly the minority opinion for ES 30mm 82 degree and Nagler 31 owners, and perhaps if you're using a 30" dob, none of this matters, but I don't have one of those either (for the same basic reason, btw).  Weight matters, and as that weight grows, well, so does the obscenity of using the thing.  For some, there is no such thing as obscene regarding eyepieces and telescopes, but others have lower thresholds.  Know thyself, my friend, before purchasing.  Ownership isn't about use.  I love looking at zebras, lions and tigers at the zoo.  I will never have one in my backyard (at least I hope and pray not!)  Buena suerte

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics