•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Explore Scientific 30mm 82degree Size

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#26 Achernar

Achernar

Voyager 1

• Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA

Posted 19 April 2020 - 08:08 PM

Well, there's got to be a devil's advocate somewhere, so here I come.  Michael, (mfoose), have you thought about the APM 30mm Ultra Flat Field?  Don't let the specs fool you, the 38mm field stop isn't that far behind the 34mm ES 68 degree (38.6mm fs), so, although it will certainly have less True Field of View than the ES 30mm 82 degree, it weighs just under 20 ounces!  That's a WHOLE lot less.  Probably less than the old TV Widefield, and certainly a wider field, and I'd bet better transmission from the several decades-more-modern coatings.  Don't know what scope you plan to use this in, but I am, personally, not interested in owning an eyepiece that weighs over 2 pounds.  I simply am not interesting in re-balancing my scopes for such a beast.  I like the view through other people's scopes, but I let them deal with the balance headaches -- I like looking at the heavens, and using more than one eyepiece to do so.  But to each his own, for sure.  I won't own and eyepiece that brings to the table its own set of mounting issues;  I don't care what it does.  Again, that's my feeling, and it's clearly the minority opinion for ES 30mm 82 degree and Nagler 31 owners, and perhaps if you're using a 30" dob, none of this matters, but I don't have one of those either (for the same basic reason, btw).  Weight matters, and as that weight grows, well, so does the obscenity of using the thing.  For some, there is no such thing as obscene regarding eyepieces and telescopes, but others have lower thresholds.  Know thyself, my friend, before purchasing.  Ownership isn't about use.  I love looking at zebras, lions and tigers at the zoo.  I will never have one in my backyard (at least I hope and pray not!)  Buena suerte

The 30mm 82 degree ES eyepiece is no problem at all for my 15-inch Dob and only near the horizon for the 10-inch. I do use it on my 8-inch SCT, but it is too much eyepiece for my smaller scopes. It is a beast to be sure, and not one I would drop on my foot in the dark either but the views are wonderful through it when used on large telescopes.

Taras

Edited by Achernar, 19 April 2020 - 08:11 PM.

• B 26354 likes this

#27 mfoose

mfoose

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Lancaster, PA

Posted 19 April 2020 - 11:24 PM

Well, there's got to be a devil's advocate somewhere, so here I come.  Michael, (mfoose), have you thought about the APM 30mm Ultra Flat Field?  Don't let the specs fool you, the 38mm field stop isn't that far behind the 34mm ES 68 degree (38.6mm fs), so, although it will certainly have less True Field of View than the ES 30mm 82 degree, it weighs just under 20 ounces!  That's a WHOLE lot less.  Probably less than the old TV Widefield, and certainly a wider field, and I'd bet better transmission from the several decades-more-modern coatings.  Don't know what scope you plan to use this in, but I am, personally, not interested in owning an eyepiece that weighs over 2 pounds.  I simply am not interesting in re-balancing my scopes for such a beast.  I like the view through other people's scopes, but I let them deal with the balance headaches -- I like looking at the heavens, and using more than one eyepiece to do so.  But to each his own, for sure.  I won't own and eyepiece that brings to the table its own set of mounting issues;  I don't care what it does.  Again, that's my feeling, and it's clearly the minority opinion for ES 30mm 82 degree and Nagler 31 owners, and perhaps if you're using a 30" dob, none of this matters, but I don't have one of those either (for the same basic reason, btw).  Weight matters, and as that weight grows, well, so does the obscenity of using the thing.  For some, there is no such thing as obscene regarding eyepieces and telescopes, but others have lower thresholds.  Know thyself, my friend, before purchasing.  Ownership isn't about use.  I love looking at zebras, lions and tigers at the zoo.  I will never have one in my backyard (at least I hope and pray not!)  Buena suerte

Thanks for your insight. I have had telescopes in the past where the weight of the eyepiece was a major issue. I owned a 100ED refractor not too long ago and that required constant re-balancing with my then collection of oddly sized EPs. However, my main scope now is an ATM 10" f6 Dob. I designed the mount to allow the solid tube to slide up and down easily for balancing purposes. It takes about 10 seconds to do so. So far, I have not had to utilize this feature yet, due in part to some decent sized altitude bearings as well. If the ES 30mm 82 does require balancing, it will be a small issue for this scope.

I have heard excellent things about the APM 30mm UFF. In a scope with tighter balancing requirements, I would definitely consider it. In fact, that is one of the reasons I love the TV 32mm WF. My one observing buddy has a commercial 8" f6 Dob. Great scope, but I find the balancing to be a pain with them. Small altitude bearings that are fixed onto the tube. An ES 30mm 82 in that would no doubt require a counterweight to be hauled along in the field. For some people it is worth the extra hassle, YMMV. However, I have plopped my TV 30mm WF in my friends Dob and he doesn't have balancing issues. 

For some people it is worth the extra FOV, for others it is not. Thankfully, the extra weight is not an issue for my telescope.

Edited by mfoose, 19 April 2020 - 11:26 PM.

• B 26354 likes this

#28 mfoose

mfoose

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 June 2020 - 12:52 PM

Wanted to give an update on this thread. This past week I purchased an ES30mm 82* and it came in the mail last night. I made the modifications to my EP case this morning. Thank you all for the help. I did not have any unnecessary foam plucked, which was my goal.

Attached Thumbnails

• 102696561_456752311841678_6048611101610868736_n-min.jpg
  • 102372674_662873784558511_9111762192067198976_n-min.jpg

• Illinois, eros312, Spikey131 and 1 other like this

#29 Spikey131

Spikey131

Surveyor 1

Posted 04 June 2020 - 07:08 PM

Nice.  I think you will find it a great complement to your set.

#30 SILENCER

SILENCER

Explorer 1

• Loc: Somewhere In Time

Posted 07 June 2020 - 10:58 AM

Wanted to give an update on this thread. This past week I purchased an ES30mm 82* and it came in the mail last night. I made the modifications to my EP case this morning. Thank you all for the help. I did not have any unnecessary foam plucked, which was my goal.

That is a fine, fine eyepiece collection. Hopefully mine will look like that some day. I'm starting with the one you started this thread about, the 30mm ES 82deg. Then I'll work my way down to higher magnifications.

• 25585 likes this

#31 SILENCER

SILENCER

Explorer 1

• Loc: Somewhere In Time

Posted 07 June 2020 - 11:05 AM

Question for the team here. I hear mention of using the 30mm ES 82* on 8" SCTs...and adding to the general "balance" weight question/concerns.

Mine's a 90's, fork mounted C8. I obviously can lock in any position, but would this be any problem with the heavier eyepiece? I've only had 1.25" eyepieces on my scope to date. Methinks it shouldn't be...but want to ask before plunking down $$$. I didn't read specifically that other SCT users were on forks, why I'm asking.

I do have a top mounted ADM rail that I suppose I could affix weight to (haven't researched if that's even an option yet)? I haven't looked carefully enough at the far end of my OTA to see if there's anywhere else to affix weight to. 

Hopefully it's not even an issue, but wanted to ask.

Thanks in advance.

#32 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 07 June 2020 - 11:31 AM

(In your best Crocodile Dundee voice)....That ain't no ES82 30mm....

THIS is an ES82 30mm...3.08 pounds of pure beauty

Over 3lbs.jpg

Edited by csrlice12, 07 June 2020 - 11:31 AM.

• mfoose and SILENCER like this

#33 mfoose

mfoose

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 09 June 2020 - 09:28 AM

Question for the team here. I hear mention of using the 30mm ES 82* on 8" SCTs...and adding to the general "balance" weight question/concerns.

Mine's a 90's, fork mounted C8. I obviously can lock in any position, but would this be any problem with the heavier eyepiece? I've only had 1.25" eyepieces on my scope to date. Methinks it shouldn't be...but want to ask before plunking down $$$. I didn't read specifically that other SCT users were on forks, why I'm asking.

I do have a top mounted ADM rail that I suppose I could affix weight to (haven't researched if that's even an option yet)? I haven't looked carefully enough at the far end of my OTA to see if there's anywhere else to affix weight to. 

Hopefully it's not even an issue, but wanted to ask.

Thanks in advance.

So this question is best answered in the Cats and Casses forum. You probably wont have to ask the question either, I am sure if you searched enough you would find a lot of info on fork mounted SCTs and EP balance. Weight will definitely be a factor on a fork mounted C8. Below is a link to a thread on wide EPs in C8s

https://www.cloudyni...dvice-for-a-c8/

Edited by mfoose, 09 June 2020 - 09:32 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics