•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Finder scope for a Mak telescope?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bigeyes

bigeyes

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 March 2020 - 03:07 AM

I would like to change my straight through finderscope for a 90 degree angle one. Is it possible to get a finder with same image orientation as my Mak-Cass reversed left-right image?

I am not sure what optical design in finder scope to look for? Do you have any recomendations? Not need to be possible to change eyepiece in the finder scope.

Aperture around 50-60mm and mag around 10x.

#2 luxo II

luxo II

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 28 March 2020 - 05:25 AM

Google "50mm RACI finderscope" and pick what grabs your fancy. The Skywatcher ones are OK.

I bolted an ADM Vixen dovetail base on top of my mak which allows a variety of gear to be piggy-backed - including 50mm finder - which is in rings on a short rail. This is a vastly superior way to mount it compared to the usual finder shoes which IMHO are a bit underwhelming.

Alternatively it can carry cameras, Celestron StarSense, 70mm f/6.7 refractor or a 150mm Intes M615...

The 70 mm refractor makes a really great combination IMHO - field wide enough that it can serve as the finderscope at 12X, and in dark skies this provides superb wide views of the Milky Way.

Edited by luxo II, 28 March 2020 - 05:40 AM.

#3 bigeyes

bigeyes

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 March 2020 - 08:03 AM

Maybe I should buy a small, 60-70mm refractor instead of a dedicated finder? :-)

I have a Tele-Optic Ercole giro mount with two axis possible to mount two telescope. I do not know if it is possible to align each scope so the small refractor can be used as a finder scope though. Main telescope is a 6” maksutov with small FOV.

#4 Kipper-Feet

Kipper-Feet

Viking 1

• Loc: Western Canada

Posted 28 March 2020 - 10:20 AM

To the topic starter bigeyes, kindly check your Personal Messenger, you've got mail.

#5 luxo II

luxo II

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 28 March 2020 - 11:46 AM

That’s up to you - I tried to make a dual-scope rig work using an AZ8 but found it impossible to align the scopes well enough - and to have them stay that way. https://www.cloudyni...s-ii-skysafari/

My current AZEQ6 mount has a second clamp in altaz mode but also lacks adequate adjustments - tried it but it’s hopelessly inaccurate and alignment is lost when the mount is packed up. The piggyback arrangement however does provide adjustments and better still, once aligned they stay that way repeatably from one setup to the next.

Edited by luxo II, 29 March 2020 - 03:23 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics