•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Comet C/2002 T7 (Linear) in the morning sky

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 BarrySimon615

BarrySimon615

Pa Bear

• topic starter

Posted 22 April 2004 - 08:01 AM

This morning I set the alarm clock for 5 AM so I could walk the 5 or 6 steps to the bedroom window to hunt down Comet Linear. According to the narration that begins at the bottom of the middle column on page 72 in the May 04 edition of "SKY & TELESCOPE" it should be visible now in the pre-dawn sky, somewhere between 2nd and 3rd magnitude. "SkyMap Pro puts it just to the left (north) of the "Circlet of Pisces" and about 5 degrees up at 5 AM from New Orleans and just about exactly due east. My tools were a simple "Boy Scout" compass and my Pentax PCF V 10x50 binoculars.

Anyway, to borrow an expression from deceased PAS member Archie Estopinal - "Barry, there's just too much haze", the attempt was futile. The sky was just too murky. Oh well, maybe tomorrow morning. If it is clear, I will walk the block to the park near my house where I can get a horizon down to 2 to 3 degrees if I set up on it's west side. They just cut the grass yesterday so that is a big plus!

Some of you that read this forum are in great locations so give it a try and tell us what you see! Try to find the comet before May 3rd, at which time the Moon starts to intrude.

Barry Simon

#2 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 22 April 2004 - 08:23 AM

I feel your pain. :(

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 22 April 2004 - 10:15 AM

I am going to make an attempt soon to observe T7 at a beach location this weekend and/or next weekend to take full advantage of an unobstructed horizon.

#4 lighttrap

lighttrap

Soyuz

Posted 22 April 2004 - 10:46 AM

In the past 8 weeks, I've only had two nights or early mornings that weren't obscured by cloud cover. I was very interested in C/2002 T7 several months ago. But, so far, I've only been able to see it briefly through an 8" reflector. I'm very much hoping that I'll get at least one chance to see it through binoculars sometime in the next couple weeks. It seems like it's almost a given here in NC, that whenever the coolest things are happening, like Mars at it's closest, or Saturn at opposition, or meteor showers or close comets that this area will be socked in by low cloud cover for extended periods of time. So, I live somewhat vicariously at times. So it goes.

Mike Swaim

#5 Remy Bosio

Remy Bosio

Uber Curmudgeon

• In Memoriam

Posted 22 April 2004 - 11:17 AM

Barry, et.al.,

The link below leads to a fine photo of Linear taken yesterday from Kitt Peak.

It was taken through a 76mm. Televue F6.5 refractor. and is now on the APOD (astronomy picture of the day).

Should make a fine binocular object if you have the clear horizon and can get up early. :smirk:

http://antwrp.gsfc.n...fretag_full.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• 95437-Comet Linear.jpg

#6 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 22 April 2004 - 11:27 AM

I know how you feel Mike. It has been pleasant in NE lately, but prior to this, it was cloudy constantly or when it was clear it was incredibly windy. My obies act like a sail then. Hopefully, the next few weeks will be merciful for you...

#7 Special Ed

Special Ed

Voyager 1

Posted 22 April 2004 - 08:23 PM

Hi Folks,

I posted this in the planetary (solar system) observing forum on 4/20 and got no response except from a dedicated comet hunter. I should have known that the interest would be here with the binocular users...

The weather was decent here over the weekend so I spent three mornings searching for Comet LINEAR in the AM sky--it's a tough object to spot, folks. It is low in the morning haze (~10-12 deg alt.at 6:00AM) and the skyglow from the Sun below the horizon washes out all the guide stars pretty fast.

The last time I saw LINEAR C/2002T7 was the evening of 2/19 about 1 1/2 deg. from Algenib (gamma Pegasi) in Pegasus--since that time I was surprised to find that it hasn't moved too far from Algenib--still within about 15 deg to the SE.

The comet is now mag 2.6 near omega Pisci just NE of the circlet in Pisces. I'm trying to key off of Algenib but the problem is Algenib is mag 2.8 and I'm having trouble locating and tracking it in the morning glow, much less the comet. To complicate matters, there's a mountain blocking the first 10deg of horizon.

With Pisces rising 4 minutes earlier and the sun coming up a minute or two earlier every morning, I don't know what else to do except go out and look for it with my fingers crossed. :-) The duty's not too bad--listening to the owls calling to each other, the turkey gobblers up in the woods, a rooster off in the distance, and since Tuesday a wood thrush.

I'm scanning with 10x50 binocs and hoping to put my rich field 4.25" reflector on it once I locate it. Has anyone else been trying to see this comet in the morning sky?

Regards,

#8 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 23 April 2004 - 07:03 AM

I think my next "best" chance to see C/2002 T7 (LINEAR) will be Sunday morning at the beach...weather permiting....fingers crossed. Another comet to note is Comet Bradfield (C/2004 F4)which is now coming into view about the same time and general location as T7.

#9 Special Ed

Special Ed

Voyager 1

Posted 23 April 2004 - 02:40 PM

Someone in the Solar System Observing forum on Astromart reported seeing C/2002 T7 (LINEAR) and the new Comet Bradfield this AM with binocs. He didn't give too many details--he did say that Bradfield was in the same general area as LINEAR and it had a 5deg tail.

#10 nemo

nemo

Ranger 4

Posted 23 April 2004 - 03:14 PM

For those who may not be aware here are two links (hope this is allowed) that I have found to be very helpful for locating and viewing comets. The first works about as well as any that I have found-http://comets.amsmeteors.org/.
This next link is fun because it gives you real time imagery that is constantly updated-http://soho.nascom.nasa.gov/data/realtime/c3/512/
Hope this is helpful to some one.
Regards,
Dan
P.S. You can just copy and paste these links to your browser address line then click go.

#11 Special Ed

Special Ed

Voyager 1

Posted 23 April 2004 - 08:52 PM

Here is another link you can click on that provides positional info for tomorrow AM: http://www.spaceweat...kymap_north.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics