•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Non-classic eBay and Craigslist finds

beginner equipment refractor
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BigC

BigC

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 28 March 2020 - 08:56 AM

Saw an eBay listing for Gskyer 90/1000 EQ at $59.99 shipping free and jumped on it. At the time the listing show 4 sold and 97 available. That was just a few days ago. Mine was sitting by the mailbox last afternoon when I got home. Although sold as open box nothing seems to be missing. It is a sturdy outfit with three eyepieces giving 40,100,and 200X. Very similar build to my Celestron 102 refractor. I like the full 360 gears on both axis. 

The only negative ,and it applies for astronomical use, is the 45 degree correct image diagonal. For nature study the 45 makes sense. And good 90 degree star diagonal are not expensive.

A 90x1000mm is a huge step up from the typical 60 mm.Such scopes have a CA ratio of just over 3 so false color should only appear on the very brightest objects.

I highly recommend this particular scope and all other well built 90s as very good for the statgazer with limited time.money.or strength.

Might not be Goldilocks but surely a cousin.

• eros312, Bomber Bob and Jond105 like this

#2 D_talley

D_talley

Soyuz

• Loc: Albuquerque, New Mexico

Posted 28 March 2020 - 09:13 AM

Sadly I think that deal is gone. Could not find any at that price. 

#3 BigC

BigC

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 28 March 2020 - 12:23 PM

I hope the remaining 96 went to individual stargazers.After all millions of people check out eBay every day.

#4 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 28 March 2020 - 06:39 PM

I hope the remaining 96 went to individual stargazers.After all millions of people check out eBay every day.

I'm assuming it was a mistake that was quickly corrected.  Hopefully they honor the OP's order.

#5 BigC

BigC

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 29 March 2020 - 08:44 PM

Did you not see that I received the scope? And very pleased I am.

If it was a mistake then the seller gets good karma points for honoring the listed price.

Sometimes people just want rid of something. Even businesses might choose "dump" stock rather than send to landfill. But some businesses landfill old stock for fear of it competing with their new model .

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: beginner, equipment, refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics