•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

60mm Telescope and the Moon

equipment moon observing
  • Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#76 vilchez

vilchez

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Spain

Posted 15 April 2020 - 04:12 AM

Most of the time I use my FOA-60 in an Evolution mount, it is a very light equipment, very very comfortable to use, I can spend hours and hours enjoying the moon views.

I use it with a BBHS Baader (zeiss) prism and a Nagler Zoom 3-6.

It is a wonderful set.

KZGSOeC.jpg

n1zbQiL.jpg

• m9x18, Astrojensen, rerun and 5 others like this

#77 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 15 April 2020 - 05:47 AM

Most of the time I use my FOA-60 in an Evolution mount, it is a very light equipment, very very comfortable to use, I can spend hours and hours enjoying the moon views.

I use it with a BBHS Baader (zeiss) prism and a Nagler Zoom 3-6.

It is a wonderful set.

Very, very nice setup! 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

#78 m9x18

m9x18

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Abilene, Texas USA

Posted 15 April 2020 - 01:36 PM

Sometimes I used my superlight gear with the moon, a WO Zenithstar 61 on an Omegon AZ-Baby mount on a photo tripod.  Little equipment is needed to enjoy the moon. No electronics, no noise, no mounting complications, no weight ... a seat and comfortable position, an eyepiece and to enjoy the moon views.

D2TBfac.jpg

6V0W4zA.jpg

Beautiful! The simplicity is poetic.

• rerun likes this

#79 Jeff B

Jeff B

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 April 2020 - 03:02 PM

It's not a 60mm aperture but I had forgotten just how much fun my Orion 80ED is until I took it out a couple of weeks ago.  The views of everything, especially the moon, were of very high quality.  

Jeff

• Lewis Cason, m9x18, Bonco2 and 1 other like this

#80 Mike Allen

Mike Allen

Ranger 4

Posted 16 April 2020 - 10:16 AM

I have. Great sketches. I’d love to get me hands (eyes?) on one of those Taks. I may get one someday just to satisfy my curiosity.
BTW Mike, I get to wear those wings to work (well, the new version).

CM

Just a guess, but it looks like the image of the aircraft above you was taken on a westbound North Atlantic route.

#81 Jaimo!

Jaimo!

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: 3rd Stone from the Sun

Posted 01 June 2020 - 10:55 AM

Not to resurrect an old thread.  But I have recently acquired the WO61ZS, in red, what a lovely little scope.  I was playnig around with it last night, without the field flattener, and it seems to be OK with the moon...  While it is still a rich field scope.

IMG_20200510_161257 - small.jpg

Moon_221914_lapl4_ap37_conv - Small.jpg

WO61ZS, ZWO ASI224MC, FireCapture 2.6, Autostakkert!3, GiMP 2.1

• jimandlaura26, Lewis Cason, eros312 and 3 others like this

#82 RichA

RichA

Apollo

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 02 June 2020 - 01:11 AM

My favorite target is the Moon. I am thinking about adding a small high quality 60mm refractor to my arsenal. However, before buying one I have a few questions because I have never owned or looked through a 60mm scope. Are 60mm refractors “really” adequate for the moon? If yes, which 60mm scope do you recommend?  Thank you. Mark

Better get to a 90mm Maksutov.  Used they are cheap, $100-$125 and new, only $200.  They offer a substantial advantage in light-gathering and resolution and compared to the average 60mm achro, optics are better.  Plus, easier to mount and handle.

Edited by RichA, 02 June 2020 - 05:24 PM.

• Jaimo! and MarkGregory like this

#83 MarkGregory

MarkGregory

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Advance, North Carolina

Posted 02 June 2020 - 08:39 AM

Better to a 90mm Maksutov.  Used they are cheap, $100-$125 and new, only $200.  They offer a substantial advantage in light-gathering and resolution and compared to the average 60mm achro, optics are better.  Plus, easier to mount and handle.

Thanks for your post. I am thinking a 90mm Mak will be the way to go. Very inexpensive, yet good optics. Thinking Orion or Sky-Watcher. 

#84 BigC

BigC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted Yesterday, 12:09 PM

Last evening the Moon was observed using my Tasco 60/700 teal color .It is very lightweight and leg adjustments are easy. It does lack a slo-motion rod.
But it is one of a few scopes usable when back pain prohibits bigger or at least heavier.
Various common eyepieces gave pleasing views and I glimpsed two tiny bright spots in Plato. Not as craters, just bright spots in the dark floor. This was with a 4 mm which I calculated as 175X.
Tried the Vixen 1.6 but it was just too much for the mechanical limits of the scope. I'm certain that a more solid mount and smoother hands-off focuser will allow steady views at that extreme power rather than the brief in-focus view I did see.The Moon is so bright one can use magnification impossible on planets.
  • eros312 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: equipment, moon, observing

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics