•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What kind of paper do you use?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 AdirondackAstro

AdirondackAstro

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Plattsburgh, NY

Posted 28 March 2020 - 04:49 PM

I have been using just regular printer paper since I have a bunch of it. I find that it doesn't allow for the best blending with a blending stump for my sketches. Curious if it's just me, or the paper? I have been looking into getting something like Strathmore 400 series drawing paper, but before I spend my money on a sketching/drawing notebook I figured I'd ask on here to see what's more popular.

I have a RiteInTheRain blank notebook which is very smooth, but it also didn't seem great for blending in sketches, but not having to worry about dew ruining the paper is why I tried it.

So, what paper/sketchpad/drawing pad do you use?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

#2 jeffreym

jeffreym

Mariner 2

• Loc: La Crosse, WI

Posted 28 March 2020 - 05:36 PM

Southworth 100% Cotton Resume Paper, 8.5" x 11", 32 lb/120 GSM

This seem to work for me.  I've also used something similar in 28lb but I like the heavier paper.

Jeff

#3 mikeDnight

mikeDnight

Apollo

• ***--
  • Loc: Wild Wild West - North West England

Posted 28 March 2020 - 05:47 PM

Hi Mike,

I use pretty much anything that's designed as a sketching paper. Over the last couple of years I've been using 150g/m^2 acid free cartridge paper, but I prefer something slightly smoother and whiter. Printer paper isn't really good enough for me, as I like properly bound books that will last, and the paper to be stronger. I tend to buy my sketch books a few at a time and each one will usually last me about a year before I move on to the next, but that's for finished observational sketches. For sketches made in rough at the eyepiece,  I tend to use a cheaper rough sketch book, then I make a cleaned up sketch on better paper later. The printer paper may be ok for rough initial sketches but not for the finished work.

#4 astronz59

astronz59

Apollo

• Loc: Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 28 March 2020 - 06:10 PM

Hi Mike, I'm currently using 110 gsm cartridge, but I intend to change to 140 gsm album paper for its smoother finish.

#5 frank5817

frank5817

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 28 March 2020 - 07:01 PM

Hello Mike,

Master's Touch 100lb. black, white, CPP chipboard paper, Strathmore assorted types black or white most 60lb., Canson and a few others including copy paper and butcher paper..

Frank

#6 AdirondackAstro

AdirondackAstro

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Plattsburgh, NY

Posted 28 March 2020 - 08:50 PM

Thank you for all of the suggestions!

Mike: I had never considered the sketches at the eyepiece to be rough sketches to be transferred later. I haven't found a need to do that yet, but it's definitely a good idea to make those minor adjustments that are hard to do under dim red lighting and for better marking of the stars in better lighting.

#7 orangeusa

orangeusa

Mariner 2

• Loc: Orange, CA

Posted 30 March 2020 - 07:13 PM

You guys use black paper or white paper?

#8 Raul Leon

Raul Leon

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Tampa Florida

Posted 31 March 2020 - 05:05 PM

Hi, I use black Strathmore paper tiles with white charcoal pencils

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics