•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Spotting Scope Mount Question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cl300stick

cl300stick

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 28 March 2020 - 06:11 PM

I have a new StellarView 60mm spotting scope that has standard mounting rings and a regular "foot" for mounting on a larger scope. I am curious if there is something that can accept the "shoe" and adapt it to a vixen style mount all by itself? Thanks for the help in advance.

Drew

Attached Thumbnails

• sv60.jpg

Edited by cl300stick, 28 March 2020 - 06:19 PM.

#2 DLuders

DLuders

Soyuz

• Loc: Spokane, WA

Posted 28 March 2020 - 06:35 PM

Since you can adjust the spacing of the rings, you could consider getting a "short" Vixen Dovetail Bar --  https://www.ebay.com... mount&_sacat=0

#3 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 28 March 2020 - 08:14 PM

Yep, that would be a ~natural retrofit~ attaching those rings directly to a stock Vixen Bar. As far apart as possible is best practice for finesse and stability. Here are a couple examples of terrible (Orion Mount) and decent (mine). Note that the Vixen Bars typically have 1/4-inch thru-holes, slots, etc. down the middle, some/most with detents for 1/4-20 Allen Screws. The spacings rarely follow whole # inches or mm, perplexing. But the stock is easily driller, tapped, etc. as needed. We always had tubs of those at work. And nearly all got sawed down or drilled to meet our needs. We pretty much just used as raw stock extruded dovetail.

I bought a bunch and have a tub at home!    Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 19 Orion 70mm Finder ill-conceived ring mount.jpg
  • 20 85 Toms 12x70 Giant Finder.jpg

Edited by TOMDEY, 28 March 2020 - 08:16 PM.

#4 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 29 March 2020 - 02:44 AM

As far apart as possible is best practice for finesse and stability. Here are a couple examples of terrible (Orion Mount) and decent (mine).

Tom:

Regardless. If one has a bit of finesse, the Orion mount does the job and provides a great deal adjustment.  I use the same method one uses with any critical adjustment, final adjustments are tightening with all adjustments already tight.  I've not had any issues except with the optics. I fixed those by replacing them with a 70mm F/4.5 Carton airspaced achromat.  Split the double-double, not too bad for a finder.

Is your finder a Russell Optics?  The printing looks like it.

As far as the original question, I think you'll have to remove the current dove tail and attach a standard Vixen dovetail unless you bolt a SV compatible shoe to a Vixen dovetail.

Jon  

#5 SloMoe

SloMoe

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Washington State

Posted 29 March 2020 - 06:45 AM

Morning Drew, let me get a better understanding of what you want to do.

Do you want a Synta/Vixen foot for your finder to mount into one of these?

https://agenaastro.c...er-bracket.html

Because it looks as tho the dove tail bar on that scope is about the right width to just slide into a Synt/Vixen shoe.

#6 cl300stick

cl300stick

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 29 March 2020 - 09:40 AM

SloMoe,

Thanks for the clarification. No. I'd like to use this spotter as a stand alone scope for a light weight tripod, monopod I have. Preferably something with a 1/4 20 fitting as well. I know it's a long shot, but everyone on here has a wealth of experience, I thought I might find something. It seems a standard vixen replacement is the way to go.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics