•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First Night Out w/ Mount. I have Questions. Suggestions?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Deesk06

Deesk06

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: New Jersey

Posted 28 March 2020 - 06:55 PM

Hello everyone, 

My mount (HEQ 5) comes in on Thursday! Super excited. Looking at the forecast, that night is going to be a clear night(woo). 

I do not however intend for it to go well. This is going to be a trial run, and if all does go well then I will use the rest of my time before bed to image. So to minimize my problems I figured I would ask a few questions here. 

1. How do I balance the mount? I will be using a mirrorless and a 70 - 200mm f/4, It cannot weigh that much. Any recommended videos? 

2. Dithering. Is it possible without a guiding camera/scope? I will be using Ekos. 

3. Framing. Can I turn my whole lens/camera system to better frame my subject? For instance, if I guide to Orion, will I be bale to then              loosen my camera/lens mount to turn it and get the framing I like? 

4. When I do guide to a star or DSO, if it is not centered perfectly, can I use the Synscan controller to center it?

5. After polar alignment, is it necessary to do star alignment? How many? 1 star or 3?

6 What the heck is plate solving? I see it on Ekos. I hope it is self explanatory!

7. Ill post any others in responses to this.

Thanks!

Edited by Deesk06, 28 March 2020 - 07:10 PM.

#2 17.5Dob

17.5Dob

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-
  • Loc: Colorado,USA

Posted 28 March 2020 - 07:00 PM

Mentioning what mount you have would be helpful.....

#3 Deesk06

Deesk06

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 March 2020 - 07:11 PM

Mentioning what mount you have would be helpful.....

Updated, HEQ 5

#4 AstroCee

AstroCee

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Western Wisconsin

Posted 28 March 2020 - 07:28 PM

Hello everyone, 

My mount (HEQ 5) comes in on Thursday! Super excited. Looking at the forecast, that night is going to be a clear night(woo). 

I do not however intend for it to go well. This is going to be a trial run, and if all does go well then I will use the rest of my time before bed to image. So to minimize my problems I figured I would ask a few questions here. 

1. How do I balance the mount? I will be using a mirrorless and a 70 - 200mm f/4, It cannot weigh that much. Any recommended videos? 

2. Dithering. Is it possible without a guiding camera/scope? I will be using Ekos. 

3. Framing. Can I turn my whole lens/camera system to better frame my subject? For instance, if I guide to Orion, will I be bale to then              loosen my camera/lens mount to turn it and get the framing I like? 

4. When I do guide to a star or DSO, if it is not centered perfectly, can I use the Synscan controller to center it?

5. After polar alignment, is it necessary to do star alignment? How many? 1 star or 3?

6 What the heck is plate solving? I see it on Ekos. I hope it is self explanatory!

7. Ill post any others in responses to this.

Thanks!

Im on an Orion Sirius very similar mount. 

1. I wouldn't bother balancing it at that weight and focal length. It doesn't weigh that much and should still track fine. The weight included with my mount was way to heavy to balance at all, I run with no weight at all. I did make some chunks of wood about .5 - 1 lb to help balance but it tracks fine without so I have never used them.

2. I don't think dithering can be done correctly without a guide cam using phd2. And at super wide focal lengths you wont don't need it anyway.

3. Yes , you would rotate - move and frame.

4. Yes you would center then 'sync' mount to that position , there by telling the mount that the object is centered and now on target.

5. No, you only need to star align if you want goto's to be accurate. If your doing super wide stuff its kinda pointless.

6. Plate solving is using a computer or web program to find the location of a picture you have taken of the stars. Feed the program a picture, get  number positional location data back. You can then use those numbers to recenter on a target and accurately align your mount, for a very accurate star aliment. Used with a program like "Nina" this can be done automatically and unattended keeping your targets right were they are supposed to be centered.

7. Good luck.

Edited by AstroCee, 28 March 2020 - 07:50 PM.

• Deesk06 likes this

#5 Deesk06

Deesk06

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 March 2020 - 08:04 PM

Im on an Orion Sirius very similar mount. 

1. I wouldn't bother balancing it at that weight and focal length. It doesn't weigh that much and should still track fine. The weight included with my mount was way to heavy to balance at all, I run with no weight at all. I did make some chunks of wood about .5 - 1 lb to help balance but it tracks fine without so I have never used them.

2. I don't think dithering can be done correctly without a guide cam using phd2. And at super wide focal lengths you wont don't need it anyway.

3. Yes , you would rotate - move and frame.

4. Yes you would center then 'sync' mount to that position , there by telling the mount that the object is centered and now on target.

5. No, you only need to star align if you want goto's to be accurate. If your doing super wide stuff its kinda pointless.

6. Plate solving is using a computer or web program to find the location of a picture you have taken of the stars. Feed the program a picture, get  number positional location data back. You can then use those numbers to recenter on a target and accurately align your mount, for a very accurate star aliment. Used with a program like "Nina" this can be done automatically and unattended keeping your targets right were they are supposed to be centered.

7. Good luck.

Thanks for your awesome reply! Had no idea I did not need to add the weights! Also, good to know I do need a guide camera to dither. If you mind me asking, why is dithering not essential for wide field? Thanks! I hope it goes well! 

#6 AstroCee

AstroCee

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Western Wisconsin

Posted 28 March 2020 - 11:48 PM

Sorry I cant help with the details on dithering I'm new to this also. From what I understand I comes down to focal length. Once you start zooming in you lose detail and dithering can gain you some back.  Dithering is just a small image shift of just a few pixels. So when your wide field you probably would not notice either way.  

Edited by AstroCee, 28 March 2020 - 11:49 PM.

#7 ImNewHere

ImNewHere

Vanguard

• Loc: Bremen (but really Lakeville), IN

Posted 29 March 2020 - 12:00 AM

For dithering you have to have some kind of autoguiding going on. Many do it with PhD2 and I do it with MGEN II stand alone guiders. You also have to have a way to trigger your camera. The MGEN II will do it with a DSLR, so I imagine there is an adapter for a mirrorless setup too.

#8 klaussius

klaussius

Messenger

• Loc: Buenos Aires

Posted 29 March 2020 - 12:09 AM

You can dither without guiding. It's a blind dither that isn't as effective, but it's better than nothing. Not sure where the option is, but I know it's there.

No matter how wide the FOV, you have to dither to avoid fixed pattern noise from becoming noticeable. The wider the FOV, the bigger the dither pulse you'll need, especially if it's unguided dither.
  • Stelios likes this

#9 calg

calg

Lift Off

• Loc: Florida

Posted 30 March 2020 - 11:46 AM

I usually do a 2 star alignment with mine with decent results. 

• Deesk06 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics