•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Crescent moon 3/28/20... Getting closer!

astrophotography Celestron dslr moon
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wxcloud

wxcloud

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Denver, Co

Posted 28 March 2020 - 11:27 PM

For a while now I wanted more reach to capture the moon... Probably would have gotten more frames to attempt a stack or short video, but I set the scope up in a bad spot where a tree obstructed most my views lol.

Anyway, while I wanted to set up to try some deep sky stuff, my main goal was to grab a couple moon shots. Used the EOS R and edgeHD 8. Atmosphere was pretty rough.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200328082552_4T3A0672-01.jpeg

• Achernar, Kenny V., eros312 and 4 others like this

#2 jeffry7

jeffry7

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 29 March 2020 - 09:08 PM

How are you liking the EOS R?

#3 sunnyday

sunnyday

Cosmos

• Loc: Ottawa,Canada

Posted 29 March 2020 - 09:26 PM

nice shot .

thank you.

#4 wxcloud

wxcloud

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 March 2020 - 09:59 PM

How are you liking the EOS R?

Honestly, it took a while for me to not cold shoulder it. Right out of the gate when I was looking at replacing my 5dmkii (nice camera, first full frame I need to put back into my rotation) naturally the R and 5dmkiv where on my radar, I opted to save a grand up front for what could be called a 5mkiv "lite" and got the R since it was newer.

I found the R way different than what I was used to, workflow was a real challenge and still is a bit due to me trying to use Linux (Manjaro). Shortly after getting the camera, I had to send it to Canon (under warranty) because it threw an error at me, evidently a cable came loose inside. Never needed to use Canon services but it was a quick turnaround.

Still the camera was more awkward for me to use and I didn't reach for it a whole lot, I don't think it was the 5dmkii upgrade I was looking for or thought it was, at least for daytime use.

It wasn't until I decided to point the thing to the night sky I started to reach more for it for some targets, mostly lunar photography, but managed a couple Galaxy pics.

The live feed off the LCD really helps with focusing as does the flip screen.

For daytime, the camera is usable but still somewhat awkward for me for some reason. Maybe I wasn't ready for the camera, but as I mentioned I've been reaching for it for certain things at night.

I did think about having it modified but haven't decided yet.

I've seen some really nice images taken with it, but found many of mine lack something and had a flat look to them, it could be my processing or running the raw images through Adobe dng converter or using Linux or what not, I still haven't figured it out yet.

All and all, the camera is growing on me a bit more than when I got it. I don't use it enough during the daytime to justify replacing or picking up the new RF glass. It has the potential for some cool stuff like drop in filters and using different lenses.
  • jeffry7 likes this

#5 jeffry7

jeffry7

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 31 March 2020 - 01:39 PM

Honestly, it took a while for me to not cold shoulder it. Right out of the gate when I was looking at replacing my 5dmkii (nice camera, first full frame I need to put back into my rotation) naturally the R and 5dmkiv where on my radar, I opted to save a grand up front for what could be called a 5mkiv "lite" and got the R since it was newer.

I found the R way different than what I was used to, workflow was a real challenge and still is a bit due to me trying to use Linux (Manjaro). Shortly after getting the camera, I had to send it to Canon (under warranty) because it threw an error at me, evidently a cable came loose inside. Never needed to use Canon services but it was a quick turnaround.

Still the camera was more awkward for me to use and I didn't reach for it a whole lot, I don't think it was the 5dmkii upgrade I was looking for or thought it was, at least for daytime use.

It wasn't until I decided to point the thing to the night sky I started to reach more for it for some targets, mostly lunar photography, but managed a couple Galaxy pics.

The live feed off the LCD really helps with focusing as does the flip screen.

For daytime, the camera is usable but still somewhat awkward for me for some reason. Maybe I wasn't ready for the camera, but as I mentioned I've been reaching for it for certain things at night.

I did think about having it modified but haven't decided yet.

I've seen some really nice images taken with it, but found many of mine lack something and had a flat look to them, it could be my processing or running the raw images through Adobe dng converter or using Linux or what not, I still haven't figured it out yet.

All and all, the camera is growing on me a bit more than when I got it. I don't use it enough during the daytime to justify replacing or picking up the new RF glass. It has the potential for some cool stuff like drop in filters and using different lenses.

I appreciate the thoughtful comments. I keep giving the R the side eye, but keep not doing anything about it. I can't decide between it and 5d MKIV or the most recent 1d which will probably be the last professional DSLR canon will ever make.

As for the mod, there is an Ra edition. Of course that might be hard to swallow since you already have the R. 

https://www.usa.cano...rorless/eos-ra/

Edited by jeffry7, 31 March 2020 - 01:39 PM.

#6 wxcloud

wxcloud

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 March 2020 - 06:06 PM

I appreciate the thoughtful comments. I keep giving the R the side eye, but keep not doing anything about it. I can't decide between it and 5d MKIV or the most recent 1d which will probably be the last professional DSLR canon will ever make.

As for the mod, there is an Ra edition. Of course that might be hard to swallow since you already have the R.

https://www.usa.cano...rorless/eos-ra/

Full disclosure, I ended up grabbing a 5dmkiv a couple months ago, dang that b&h sale lol. It was a bit easier stepping into then the R. I don't think I would point the 5dmkiv to the night sky however. They both have their merits for sure. I said almost from the get go with my R it seems more suited to tripod and studio work IMHO :)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, Celestron, dslr, moon

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics