•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Question about Orion Skyquest XX14g GoTo Dobsonian Scope

dob accessories beginner equipment Orion reflector
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SiriusBound

SiriusBound

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 March 2020 - 02:07 AM

Relative beginner here, and I just unboxed my new Orion Skyquest XX14g GoTo Dobsonian scope and am excited to take it out for several nights of viewing this week. One snag...I lost a minor component that I need to replace to fully assemble the scope - the three counterweight mounting bolts for the optical tube.

Judging from the instruction manual, these look like ordinary bolts and I should be able to pick up replacements at Home Depot. Does anyone have the size & dimensions of these bolts so I can make sure to get the right ones? Many thanks for your help!

Clear skies,

SiriusBound

• Jon Isaacs and lonn like this

#2 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 29 March 2020 - 02:49 AM

Siriusbound:

Hello and :welcome: to Cloudy Nights... 

I can't help you but I am sure someone can.. 

You lost all three?

Jon

#3 SiriusBound

SiriusBound

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 March 2020 - 03:19 AM

Thanks for the note Jon. I believe all three were in one packet and I lost that packet, so I need to replace them all.

#4 ngc7319_20

ngc7319_20

Apollo

• Loc: MD

Posted 29 March 2020 - 04:32 AM

Judging from the picture in the manual, they are probably something like Metric M8 x 1.25mm (pitch) x 25mm (thread length).  Probably you could take one of the counter weights to the Home Depot or Lowes, and try some different bolts around that size.  The length probably needs to be long enough to pass through the mirror cell and through 2 counter weights.

#5 SiriusBound

SiriusBound

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 March 2020 - 09:58 PM

Thanks ngc7319_20, appreciate the reply!

Anyone who owns a Skyquest XX14G can confirm? If not I’ll head to Home Depot this week to test out some bolts.

#6 outofsight

outofsight

Surveyor 1

Posted 29 March 2020 - 10:43 PM

It's late and I'm not paying close enough attention, but this will work: "If not I’ll head to Home Depot this week to test out some bolts."

I've taken all kinds of scope parts to hardware stores to get the right screws or bolts, etc. Home Depot and Lowes have both worked well for it. Good luck with it.

I have a 12g that doesn't use those counterweights or I'd check it for you.

Edited by outofsight, 29 March 2020 - 10:56 PM.

#7 MOwen

MOwen

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Greenville, SC

Posted 30 March 2020 - 04:22 PM

If you haven't reached the point of balancing yet, you might find that you need more weight than is provided.  I had to add another 6 lbs. to balance with my eyepieces so I installed a 2 lb weight in each of the 3 empty spaces between the factory weights (those holes in the frame have metric threaded holes around the edges).  If you can temporarily hang the weights and see how much more you need, you might even want to re-think the entire setup for the total package.  That could also lead to a 'removable' weight package that would make it easier to handle the OTA during assembly.

BTW - here is a link to a post I did some time back on a DIY setup tool you might be interested in seeing...

https://www.cloudyni...assembly-magic/

Also, I have constructed a removable dolly for the scope and am in the last stages of a project to use a 12v ATV winch to load/unload scope from my van; eliminates all the heavy lifting.  Let me know if you are interested in any of the details.

You will love the scope; I have thoroughly enjoyed mine.

#8 SiriusBound

SiriusBound

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 March 2020 - 11:47 PM

Thanks MOwen & outofsight, appreciate the insight!
  • outofsight likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dob, accessories, beginner, equipment, Orion, reflector

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics