•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Anyone tested the new TAK Starbase 80 Achromatic?

beginner equipment observing
  • Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#26 russell23

russell23

Voyager 1

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 11 April 2020 - 02:10 PM

This seems like a great refractor option for a beginner and experienced observers that like f/10 and longer f/ratio refractors.  You are going to get excellent optics for an achromat refractor.  It comes with a good mount, diagonal and a couple decent eyepieces.  

I think one of the big problems is when somebody looking to get a start in this hobby has a budget of $200 for equipment.   You pretty much need to consider a 3-5" table top reflector in that price range.  That is not a bad starter scope, but if you are going to start with a refractor, then this Takahashi seems like a far better option than the low cost refractors coming from China. 

The best alternative to this option might be the 80mm f/7 Astrotech refractor.  But to get started with that you will need the following:

80mm f/7 OTA  ($399)

Vixen Porta II mount ($299)

Star diagonal 1.25" ($70)

Two eyepieces (say two paradigms for $120)

Total cost:  $888

So that would be $278 more than the Tak Starbase.  

The Tak Starbase seems like a decent value as a starter refractor.  You can obviously get a lot more for that price with a 4.5" to 8" dob, but that can be said for any refractor you want to buy. 

Dave

• daquad, SpaceX and butlercr57 like this

#27 Dave1066

Dave1066

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: South West, UK.

Posted 11 April 2020 - 03:35 PM

How well baffled are the new Starbase 80 OTA?

#28 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Aurora

• Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 11 April 2020 - 07:05 PM

How well baffled are the new Starbase 80 OTA?

There are 3 equally spaced baffles going down the tube to the focuser.  The holes get smaller as you get closer to the focuser as they should.

Edited by SandyHouTex, 11 April 2020 - 07:06 PM.

#29 Dave1066

Dave1066

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 12 April 2020 - 05:16 AM

There are 3 equally spaced baffles going down the tube to the focuser.  The holes get smaller as you get closer to the focuser as they should.

Thanks just what I wanted to hear. I have emailed Scopetech about ordering a 80mm F15 Maxi from them. Will be interesting to see how it compares to my Towa 80mm F15. The Scopetech should have better lens coatings, and the edges of the lens are blackened. If I understand well from the other thread, they use lens manufacturing process similar to Lzos, which ensures a strehl of 0.95! 

• starmason and SandyHouTex like this

#30 starmason

starmason

Vostok 1

• Loc: Winchester, Va

Posted 12 April 2020 - 09:36 AM

I find it  kind of funny that we as Americans still think that $600 dollars is "too much" to pay for a high quality telescope complete system.  The artificial pricing point of the mass produced chinese products historically are "lowball" pricing due to the subsistence wages paid and lack of quality testing in their cheap offerings, be they electronics, astronomical, food additives for our pets or humans and plastic junk and knock-off items sold in those "dollar stores".  

Back in the 70's and 80's a good to better quality 60-80mm refractor telescope could cost a person a week or more wages.  A "cheap" one would cost a few days wages also.  Economy of Scale and improved manufacturing techniques lowered the price somewhat when Taiwan started taking over the mass telescope production from Japan.  Quality dropped considerably when that happened also. 

The SB80 is a throwback to the 70's and 80's Japanese Achromat quality days and the price point is a LOT less than it cost in those days for a similar quality 80mm refractor.  

I find that refreshing and wish that we could purchase ALL of those "better quality" 80mm Japanese achromats directly from Japan, as the Japanese budding astronomers can do.  

Takahashi has given us a taste of what high quality Japanese manufacturing techniques and small batch processing can provide for us in the form of the SB80 telescope system.  

Too bad they don't try to send the parts to the USA and let us build those great systems over here also at that price point.  I bet "Assembled in USA" on the scope would be a big source of pride to many of us, just like my Subaru Outback "manufactured in Indiana".

I, for one, am enjoying the legacy quality build in my SB80 and am having a lot of "fun" with it as I did when I first used a long focal length quality refractor.  

A big "THANK YOU" to Takahashi for bringing this beautiful "throwback" refractor to us in the USA.

Happy Easter to everyone celebrating today and Clear Skies!

George

Winchester, Va

• doctordub, payner, m9x18 and 5 others like this

#31 MarkGregory

MarkGregory

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Advance, North Carolina

Posted 12 April 2020 - 09:43 AM

I find it  kind of funny that we as Americans still think that $600 dollars is "too much" to pay for a high quality telescope complete system.  The artificial pricing point of the mass produced chinese products historically are "lowball" pricing due to the subsistence wages paid and lack of quality testing in their cheap offerings, be they electronics, astronomical, food additives for our pets or humans and plastic junk and knock-off items sold in those "dollar stores".  

Back in the 70's and 80's a good to better quality 60-80mm refractor telescope could cost a person a week or more wages.  A "cheap" one would cost a few days wages also.  Economy of Scale and improved manufacturing techniques lowered the price somewhat when Taiwan started taking over the mass telescope production from Japan.  Quality dropped considerably when that happened also. 

The SB80 is a throwback to the 70's and 80's Japanese Achromat quality days and the price point is a LOT less than it cost in those days for a similar quality 80mm refractor.  

I find that refreshing and wish that we could purchase ALL of those "better quality" 80mm Japanese achromats directly from Japan, as the Japanese budding astronomers can do.  

Takahashi has given us a taste of what high quality Japanese manufacturing techniques and small batch processing can provide for us in the form of the SB80 telescope system.  

Too bad they don't try to send the parts to the USA and let us build those great systems over here also at that price point.  I bet "Assembled in USA" on the scope would be a big source of pride to many of us, just like my Subaru Outback "manufactured in Indiana".

I, for one, am enjoying the legacy quality build in my SB80 and am having a lot of "fun" with it as I did when I first used a long focal length quality refractor.  

A big "THANK YOU" to Takahashi for bringing this beautiful "throwback" refractor to us in the USA.

George

Winchester, Va

I am OK with it too. I figure that if Takahashi associated their good name with the telescope, it must be good. Looking forward to see what buyers and users say after they have tested it.

• SandyHouTex and paul m schofield like this

#32 Dave1066

Dave1066

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 12 April 2020 - 01:19 PM

George

Winchester, Va

Makes perfect sense to me, quality costs, doesn't matter if its an ED doublet, triplet, or achromat. If skilled artisans are making a product irregardless of what that product is, then of course it will cost. I think people get caught up on "its an old design, which uses old glass types, there for it should be cheap". They forget the labour that goes into making a high quality product. 

I think the issue is, that there is a whole generation of people, that have grown up now only knowing Chinese optics. Some people simply are not interested in history. So don't know that in fact some of the old telescopes, or old telescope design can be much higher quality. I will take a 0.95 Strehl achromat over a 0.82 Strehl diffraction limited ED telescope, any day of the week.

David

Edited by Dave1066, 12 April 2020 - 05:13 PM.

• Sol Robbins, starmason, m9x18 and 2 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: beginner, equipment, observing

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics