•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

TeleGizmos TGR3 - Can I use it for outside?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SebaAstro

SebaAstro

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 March 2020 - 05:40 PM

I cannot find any reviews so if you have one can you tell me if you have successfully use it to protect the scope while being outside?

For the stores descriptions it seems you could for short time but it is not clear.

I don't want to use the 365 model as it is too expensive and too heavy (and not much flexible).

Thanks!

#2 drd715

drd715

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Fort Lauderdale

Posted 29 March 2020 - 06:00 PM

I use the tgr3 at weekend and star party events or single overnights. They are more delicate than the 365. Also more prone to wind flutter. I would not recommend the lighter version for month or long time use. I think it would deteriorate in less than a year. The 365 is much tougher. I'm not a big fan of leaving equipment outside for long term use. It really needs a hard shed of some kind. If on a permanent pedestal the simplest thing would be a roll away solid structure - a simple box shed. A permanent observatory would be the ultimate.

You could have a sail maker/ upholstery shop sew up a custom cover especially if it is only the mount head on a pier that is left outside . For a few nights that you may want to keep the entire rig setup you could use the trg3 style.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
  • SebaAstro likes this

#3 Aaron_tragle

Aaron_tragle

Viking 1

• Loc: Richmond, Virginia

Posted 29 March 2020 - 06:03 PM

TG 365 covers are honestly an observatory replacement if certain precautions are taken. Dew heater bar under the cover, Wyze camera for monitoring.

#4 SebaAstro

SebaAstro

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 March 2020 - 07:18 PM

I use the tgr3 at weekend and star party events or single overnights. They are more delicate than the 365. Also more prone to wind flutter. I would not recommend the lighter version for month or long time use. I think it would deteriorate in less than a year. The 365 is much tougher. I'm not a big fan of leaving equipment outside for long term use. It really needs a hard shed of some kind. If on a permanent pedestal the simplest thing would be a roll away solid structure - a simple box shed. A permanent observatory would be the ultimate.

You could have a sail maker/ upholstery shop sew up a custom cover especially if it is only the mount head on a pier that is left outside . For a few nights that you may want to keep the entire rig setup you could use the trg3 style.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

thank you. Very useful.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics