•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First Solar Flare Time Lapse

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 okietwisterdan

okietwisterdan

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Oklahoma

Posted 29 March 2020 - 06:14 PM

This is my first attempt at a solar flare time lapse.  https://drive.google...JLUoe5ib15GGhLx   I just got the QHY183M as my first mono camera as well, and I'm still learning how to use it.

QHY183M

Astronomik uv/ir cut L2 filter

2x barlow

Coronado PST

90 x 120frame videos using SharpCap in .ser format

Each video processed with AutoStakkert, then Registax for wavelets, then Lightroom, then PIPP for alignment into an avi video.

I would like any advice you can give me on doing all this. My biggest question is concerning the camera settings. I really don't know how to set the gain, offset, and exposure for best results. I did get surface detail videos that I have yet to edit, but I couldn't see the flares at those settings. Is there a way to capture the flares and the surface at the same time, or am I just going to have to do them separately and edit them together in post processing? 

I also have the double stack filter for the PST. Works great for surface detail in visual observing, but it dims the flares a bit. So I'm not sure how to use the DS for imaging.

Is Sharpcap the best program to use for capturing the videos?  .Ser format the best format? Anything you could help with to process in the other programs would be helpful too. 

Thanks,

Daniel

• zjc26138, Sunspot, astro_1 and 5 others like this

#2 sunnyday

sunnyday

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Ottawa,Canada

Posted 29 March 2020 - 08:10 PM

for the first time, I think it's well done
bravo and thank you.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics