•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Unitron 4" F15 equatorial mount

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dave1066

Dave1066

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: South West, UK.

Posted 29 March 2020 - 06:31 PM

Hi guys,

I need a better mount for my Skylight 4" F15 telescope.

I've been offered a Unitron equatorial mount, the Unitron mount that Unitron packaged with there 4" F15 telescopes. The Unitron 152.

So do you think a Unitron mount will handle my Skylight F15 at high magnifications? My concern is in that my Skylight is made of brass and not rolled aluminium like the Unitron, so my Skylight is heavier.

David

#2 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 29 March 2020 - 08:15 PM

You should post a parallel thread (or ask a moderator to move this one) to the Classics forum.  You'll get lots of information there, I'll bet.

#3 Peter B

Peter B

Viking 1

• Loc: Parker, Colorado

Posted 29 March 2020 - 08:21 PM

My Unitron mount held the 4" f15 ota with Unihex and several eyepieces, the 10x40mm finder with rings, a 60mm refractor/rings with Unihex and several eyepieces and a Unibalance counterweight system pretty well. Tracking with the electric drive was accurate and smooth. Things change in the wind of course but that is to be expected. You might get more advice from the folks in the Classic Telescope forum.

#4 Richard O'Neill

Richard O'Neill

Vanguard

Posted 29 March 2020 - 08:36 PM

It's not so much the weight as it is the moment arm. How much does your telescope weigh?

#5 Dave1066

Dave1066

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: South West, UK.

Posted 30 March 2020 - 05:02 AM

It's not so much the weight as it is the moment arm. How much does your telescope weigh?

Richard, thanks for the reply. I just weighted my OTA, with my 2" Baader Prism diagonal fitted, finderscope and dew shield. In total the weight comes to 8.2 kg.

David

#6 dawziecat

dawziecat

Gemini

• Loc: Rural Nova Scotia

Posted 30 March 2020 - 01:15 PM

I owned a 4" Polarex equatorial from 1960 until about 1975. It is identical to the Unitron Model 152. Just not sold into the US market. 

I found the mount not at all what the the classic enthusiasts claim it to be. It does not compare to modern mounts in any way!

Unless you are into the nostalgia these things evoke, stay away from them!

The mount looks pretty cool though. smile.gif

#7 daquad

daquad

Surveyor 1

Posted 30 March 2020 - 07:00 PM

I sold my Unitron 4" equatorial .. Should have kept the OTA and sold only the mount, but I did not want to break up the system.  The mount, while very sturdy for the 4" f/15 OTA was, to put it plainly, a PITA to use, especially with a RA drive.  If you are using it manually only then it may be OK, but I agree with dawsiecat; a modern mount would be ergonomically better.  A Losmandy G8/11 would be a much better choice.

Dom Q.

#8 kevint1

kevint1

Viking 1

• Loc: West Michigan

Posted 30 March 2020 - 07:12 PM

And how long is it ?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics