•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

29/03/20 Prominence

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BeltofOrion

BeltofOrion

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Newfoundland, Canada

Posted 29 March 2020 - 06:52 PM

It was sunny here for most of the day (will wonders never cease?) , but the seeing was none too good. In fact, after I shot a few videos with the SolarMax, I decided to put the Baader Digital Solar Filter (OD 3.8) on the Celestron 1100 Edge HD and check things out. It was a disaster and a half. I've never seen anything like it! The histogram was doing a horizontal dance ... in both SharpCap and Firecapture ... and on my computer screen, the image from the ASI 183 was jumping back and forth between a dark, barely recognizable granulation and a white overexposed image ... with a few vertically scrolling horizontal bars thrown in for good measure! Guess I won't be trying that again soon.

Anyway, the SolarMax gave me a nice prom and a couple of solar disk images ... plain though they might be. I was wondering at the time if Warren were shooting the prom because it was changing rapidly. At first when I saw it, there was only one arch, but I could faintly see a pillar dropping down to split it in two. By the time I got this there were three distinct divisions.

Attached Thumbnails

• 12_41_18_Nik.jpg

Edited by BeltofOrion, 29 March 2020 - 07:05 PM.

• MalVeauX and dhkaiser like this

#2 sunnyday

sunnyday

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Ottawa,Canada

Posted 29 March 2020 - 06:58 PM

nice prom sir.thank you for the status report, well done.

• BeltofOrion likes this

#3 BeltofOrion

BeltofOrion

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Newfoundland, Canada

Posted 29 March 2020 - 07:04 PM

nice prom sir.thank you for the status report, well done.

Thanks. You certainly don't need to call me sir. smile.gif

• sunnyday likes this

#4 rigel123

rigel123

Hubble

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 29 March 2020 - 07:38 PM

It was sunny here for most of the day (will wonders never cease?) , but the seeing was none too good. In fact, after I shot a few videos with the SolarMax, I decided to put the Baader Digital Solar Filter (OD 3.8) on the Celestron 1100 Edge HD and check things out. It was a disaster and a half. I've never seen anything like it! The histogram was doing a horizontal dance ... in both SharpCap and Firecapture ... and on my computer screen, the image from the ASI 183 was jumping back and forth between a dark, barely recognizable granulation and a white overexposed image ... with a few vertically scrolling horizontal bars thrown in for good measure! Guess I won't be trying that again soon.

Anyway, the SolarMax gave me a nice prom and a couple of solar disk images ... plain though they might be. I was wondering at the time if Warren were shooting the prom because it was changing rapidly. At first when I saw it, there was only one arch, but I could faintly see a pillar dropping down to split it in two. By the time I got this there were three distinct divisions.

Nice catch!  It was sunny here but with gusts to 40mph I didn’t bother to setup!

#5 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Florida

Posted 29 March 2020 - 07:51 PM

Nice catch James, I was watching that prom today and the faint large field of proms opposite it on the other limb.

Very best,

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics